LegacyGT.com

Car wont start

So I rebuilt my motor, tried to start it and have p1152, p1518 cels, as well as p0852 and 01153 pending. I think its something electrical. Could it be not enough grounds, bad connection somewhere or a bad starter? Anyone have any ideas where to start? Its raining, figured I would make sure the starter connections are good and it works. The starter solenoid just clicks, doesn't turn the flywheel at all. Already bought a new battery, and same thing. Motor won't turn over, it did like briefly the very first time i tried starting it, but after that its just a click or 2

Buy some battery cable, and run one from the frame rail to the underside of each head beneath the car. I like them better than the cheap braided grounds you can get which disintegrate eventually.

You should have a threaded hole on the underside of each rail. The driver side head will have a threaded hole to directly attach the ground strap to, the passenger side either has to go on the exhaust manifold heat shield or one of the valve cover bolts.

You sure the main connector and the trans connector are both seated properly?

Edited by awfulwaffle

How about that pile of grounds on the back of the drivers side tgv? Yes you need the grounds on the bottom. I used doubled up 12g but use whatever you have laying around for temporary purposes. If its thin double it up or even triple it. I assume you pulled the fuel pump fuse to prime the oil pump? Double check you pulled the right fuse.

yea i pulled the fuel pump fuse to prime it. I have the tgv grounded, and just a 10 gauge on the drivers side. The passenger side has nothing. F'n ground line going back to battery started to get hot when I was trying to start and it almost melted the plastic sheathing, lots of smoke..... smh... I guess I need some super cereal grounds. I pulled the starter as well and it seems to work.....

Ground problem fixed, not enough grounding so lines got hot. got it to turn... but seems like the gas is bad..... been sitting for like 3 years. Would bad gas not let it start? Its turning and almost starting now, it started briefly then died. I cleared the cels, nothing came back. Fuel pump is coming on and off it seems, is that normal, i hear it, then it goes silent, then i hear it again, when I have the key in ignition.

When you turn the key on you should hear the pump prime along with the gauge sweep then you should hear nothing. I’m thinking 3 yo gas would make it run crappy but it would start. Are you still using factory fuel system? Did you check coil connectors? Black ones should be nearest to firewall.

I keep hearing it prime i think. I can't recall if that's normal or not, it will come on, then goes silent, then goes back on. I hear some hissing noise in the engine bay everytime it comes on. I dunno, 3 years old, seems like a enough time for it to go bad... really bad. Its like the car wanted to start and would go for a second but then just die. I still have no cels, so i'm thinking its the gas, i smell and see it coming out the exhaust.

I keep hearing it prime i think. I can't recall if that's normal or not, it will come on, then goes silent, then goes back on. I hear some hissing noise in the engine bay everytime it comes on. I dunno, 3 years old, seems like a enough time for it to go bad... really bad. Its like the car wanted to start and would go for a second but then just die. I still have no cels, so i'm thinking its the gas, i smell and see it coming out the exhaust.
The fuel pump should only need to prime once so it sounds like you may have a leak somewhere. If its not visible form the engine bay it could be an injector seal or something. Does the engine bay smell like gas?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

hard to say, i've been working in the rain today, everything is wet. Going to try again tomorrow, hopefully no rain. But I think your right about a leak somewhere, even a small leak would drop the pressure enough to keep cycling the pump,but everything is wet so its hard to pinpoint.

After an ecu reset you need to leave the key in "NO" for 10 seconds, then crank it.

Old gas is not helping.

I guess you could pull the fuel supply line, put it in a bucket, power the fuel pump until the gas is gone, then put fresh gas in the tank.

Ground wires can be any wire that a good size, 12 gauge or larger, old jumper cable wire will be fine. bigger is better.

DSCN5215.thumb.JPG.e66ad263795bba70c6ce72cc8c8589bd.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I found the fuel leak, one of the injectors was seated badly and was leaking! Good call there!Its still turning and trying to fire but just cant do it. I ran out of terminals so I need to go autoparts store and get some more to add more grounds and 5 gallons of gas to dilute the bad gas. I don't feel like getting it out.... maybe i will .... when I play with gasoline I tend to do stupid things lol:icon_mrgr:icon_twis Edited by Tehnation