LegacyGT.com

I'd try to make a signature which says you're using an ej20x motor, and anything which may not be typically found on a USDM legacy. It just seems a little misleading to say a USDM legacy when you're using a JDM motor, and possibly other jdm parts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd try to make a signature which says you're using an ej20x motor, and anything which may not be typically found on a USDM legacy. It just seems a little misleading to say a USDM legacy when you're using a JDM motor, and possibly other jdm parts.

Thanks for the response I will update it.

I found someone who is selling a VF52 and has less than 8k miles on the turbo no shaft play, looks brand new. I bought it.

Didn't realize you had a JDM motor. Really interested to see how the VF52 does on a high compression motor

Me too..too bad it won't happen anytime soon. Just saw someone in the group where I made an ISO post and they posted the profile of the same person who sold me the turbo...called the seller a scammer and said they stopped responding to messages and never sent the item. I never heard from the person either after I sent payment. They're ignoring my messages now too. What great luck I am having.

Fuuuuuuuuu.... good luck man

Fingers crossed. I am beyond pissed

hope you used paypal and have buyer protection

I did contact them already as well as my bank. I am so angry and sad.

Edited by Carmania24

Haven't hear anything bad about Hill Country, I've seen a number of guys on here run their turbos, everyone seems to be happy. Nice call on the billet upgrade, its worth the extra $100 and you'll gain some spool benefit and durability as well. Didn't know they offered upsized wheel swap out as an option, thats kinda nice, (with your goals, good call just sticking with the VF52 wheel).

Haven't hear anything bad about Hill Country, I've seen a number of guys on here run their turbos, everyone seems to be happy. Nice call on the billet upgrade, its worth the extra $100 and you'll gain some spool benefit and durability as well. Didn't know they offered upsized wheel swap out as an option, thats kinda nice, (with your goals, good call just sticking with the VF52 wheel).

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the trigger just now!! So excited.

do give us a review when installed and running

Thanks for the response. I will most certainly give it a review, it should be in my hands in 4-5 weeks.

Also, just confirm for the power goals I want, I do not need to upgrade anything else (I will probably get a downpipe)? Such as fuel, etc.

Edit: If I DO need to upgrade, would 650CC injectors plus a walbro 255 fuel pump be enough to safely handle 18-19PSI? Car is currently at 15PSI..when working that is.

Edited by Carmania24

Since the price difference is probably negligible, I'd go with 740's so you have some head room. This is what I ran Deatschwerks 740's on my VF52 for many years with no issues.

2005's & 2006's need a catless up pipe and a catted down pipe to wake the car up safely.

Cobb AP V3 and a custom tune for stock fueling.

I'm still on stock fueling almost 9 years on the vf52. Yes, I have upgraded the fuel a couple years back. but no change to the MAP for that.

If you go with bigger injectors, go at least with 750's IMO. With a AEM320 pump.

I have the AEM 320 in the wagon, but still on the stock injectors.

The formula is easy.

Catless up pipe

catted down pipe

new oil return hose

remove the banjo filter on the passenger side head

Cobb AP V3

gaskets

Grimmspeed 2X thick 3" gasket

2 each, 10mm bolts 2" long, nuts and lock washers (DP to mid pipe)

red RTV to coat the gasket.

anti-seize compound

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Since the price difference is probably negligible, I'd go with 740's so you have some head room. This is what I ran Deatschwerks 740's on my VF52 for many years with no issues.

Thank you. So I should go for 740CC by Deatschwerks? And should I upgrade my fuel pump while I am at it?

2005's & 2006's need a catless up pipe and a catted down pipe to wake the car up safely.

Cobb AP V3 and a custom tune for stock fueling.

I'm still on stock fueling almost 11 years on the vf52. Yes, I have upgraded the fuel a couple years back. but no change to the MAP for that.

If you go with bigger injectors, go at least with 750's IMO. With a AEM320 pump.

I have the AEM 320 in the wagon, but still on the stock injectors.

The formula is easy.

Catless up pipe

catted down pipe

new oil return hose

remove the banjo filter on the passenger side head

Cobb AP V3

gaskets

Grimmspeed 2X thick 3" gasket

2 each, 10mm bolts 2" long, nuts and lock washers (DP to mid pipe)

red RTV to coat the gasket.

anti-seize compound

Thank you! I do have a catless up pipe already. Everything else does not seem very hard to get. The only thing is since I have the EJ20X bottom end I am not sure if Cobb would work very well with my car. I reached out to AntSpec to see what they think--if dyno or cobb AP would be better.

Y'all are awesome. Much thanks for the constant help and support!

Asking questions from those that have been there in lieu of throwing parts and money at it is a great approach. Good luck with the upgrades.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Asking questions from those that have been there in lieu of throwing parts and money at it is a great approach. Good luck with the upgrades.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thank you! Will post updates on my progress.

Yes DW 740’s would be a good choice. If you do opt for larger injectors the fuel pump is a good idea to ensure it can keep up. I’m running the DW 65c pump in my Legacy, have been happy with it. Max is running the AEM320, no experience with it but sounds like it’s another viable option. It’s not required by any means and certainly adds to the cost but you could switch to top feeds at this point if your going to get new injectors. If you do that, you’ll need new fuel rails to accommodate this. Subaru switched to top feed after ‘07 as they found it to be a better set up and they are easier to tune than sidefeeds. I made the switch when I swapped to a larger turbo to support it and opted for OEM fuel rails that my tuner had after someone swapped out for IAG’s swanky parallel fueling billet units. That said, I ran sidefeeds for many moons even though my tuner liked to bitch about it :) Edited by shralp

I wish you luck getting your money back from the scammer. How did your turbo fail? Did it send bearing material through the engine? I don't want you spend good money on a bad engine subsequently ruining another turbo.

In your signature, I hope you mean it has EJ20X long block with EJ255 Intake and Exhaust manifolds. If it has EJ255 cylinder heads on a EJ20X short block, your engine combustion would look like a penis and would be no good for performance.

Yes DW 740’s would be a good choice. If you do opt for larger injectors the fuel pump is a good idea to ensure it can keep up. I’m running the DW 65c pump in my Legacy, have been happy with it. Max is running the AEM320, no experience with it but sounds like it’s another viable option. It’s not required by any means and certainly adds to the cost but you could switch to top feeds at this point if your going to get new injectors. If you do that, you’ll need new fuel rails to accommodate this. Subaru switched to top feed after ‘07 as they found it to be a better set up and they are easier to tune than sidefeeds. I made the switch when I swapped to a larger turbo to support it and opted for OEM fuel rails that my tuner had after someone swapped out for IAG’s swanky parallel fueling billet units. That said, I ran sidefeeds for many moons even though my tuner liked to bitch about it :)

Thanks for the detailed response! I will look into *maybe* getting top feed injectors as well.

^^ If you go the topfeed route and stick with OEM rails to keep cost down, make sure you get 07+ Legacy or 08-14/08+ WRX/STI fuel rails.

If not, you might end up with some nasty fuel pressure fluctuations. I did: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/not-do-topfeed-conversion-280897.html?t=280897

Thank you for the response! I will look into this.

I wish you luck getting your money back from the scammer. How did your turbo fail? Did it send bearing material through the engine? I don't want you spend good money on a bad engine subsequently ruining another turbo.

In your signature, I hope you mean it has EJ20X long block with EJ255 Intake and Exhaust manifolds. If it has EJ255 cylinder heads on a EJ20X short block, your engine combustion would look like a penis and would be no good for performance.

Thanks for the response. And thanks, I hope I can get it back too. I’m not sure it’s bad, but I wanted to always upgrade it anyways, and I finally have enough time and money saved up to do it. I might be able to salvage the old turbo and sell it cheap to get some money back.

LOL, Yes sorry that is what I meant. I will fix my signature.

Edited by Carmania24

Still trying to get that figured out. The shop that did my tune has very limited staff and hours and now their mechanic is not working at all either. But according to others on that thread, seems like it’s the turbo, catalytic converter, injectors, or fuel pump. The shop also mentioned that when I talked to them. But once they are fully operational I will be taking it back to them. In the mean time I’m trying to find a shop around me that specializes in Subaru’s.

Coolant and oil levels are good, and they don’t appear to be mixed together which is a good sign. I think if it’s none of those, it’s most likely the tune.