LegacyGT.com

Need some Ammo for a Discussion

Also remind him where subaru's heritage lies. Subaru has been doing AWD for a hell of alot longer than ford has.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=27773437-6D71-4E30-8A21-EF61AE9AAA1D&term=snow&p=0

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=302B549D-BFE4-4776-AA44-5C6BA6F40553&term=snow&p=1

I have no doubt with the correct set of round rubber thingies you will literally run circles mad crazy drift style around him.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, my buddy is convinced that he will be towing me out of the snow this winter with his 2005 Mazda Tribute ....

FWIW we arranged a time trial drag race (timed, not head-to-head) on a snow covered road between my 97 OBW with all seasons and a similarly equipped Ford Explorer.

The Subaru was a full second faster (roughly 7.5 versus 8.5).

Ask any state trooper about SUV's and snow.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Tell yr mate, I hope he enjoys filling his car up because thats all you do with the tribute, the V6 version anyways. Trust me, my Dad had one.

Dont see too many Mazda's winning any events in WRC or come to think of it any Motorsport........

Dont see too many new Mazda's including RX-8's in drift battles either...

Only oldschool.

Ada///M.

I just did some research for you apparently the tribute comes with faux-wheel drive. Its not even real 4wd.

It uses haldex meaning it is useless offroad.

i think you might be right, although it may be an awd closer to subaru, since their website claim it can deliver 100% torque to either front or back, whereas the haldex can only deliver up to 50% to both

true 4wd means the vehicle can transfer up to 100% to any single wheel, is that correct?

So many idiotic SUV and truck owners end up getting owned on the Whistler highway due to their unearned belief that they are indestrucible, summer, winter, any time.

I have seen a few SUV's in my day firmly planted in a ditch on the side of that highway in the winter as the rest of the Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, etc drive on by.

True AWD means that all 4 wheels are continuously driven.

The only vehicle that can deliver 100 percent torque to any 1 wheel is a full blown purpose built Off-Road Vehicle with front, rear, and center locking differentials.

don't you have that backwards? My Wrangler with open rear diff and 4wd could deliver all it's torque to one wheel. That sucked when getting stuck. The one with no traction got all the torque while the others did nothing. I needed equal torque to all four wheels....that's what 3 diffs would do for you.

don't you have that backwards? My Wrangler with open rear diff and 4wd could deliver all it's torque to one wheel. That sucked when getting stuck. The one with no traction got all the torque while the others did nothing. I needed equal torque to all four wheels....that's what 3 diffs would do for you.

There is a diffrence between torque and power.

Your wrangler delivered equal torque to all wheels as the nature of an open differential.

In an open diff all torque is shared equally between all the wheels 100 percent of the time. That means that when one wheel is in the air every wheel gets exactly the same amount of torque which equals whatever it takes to spin the free wheel.

Now 100 percent of your POWER is escaping through that one wheel. Say it takes 10 lb/ft to spin up a free wheel. All 4 wheels will share that 10lb/ft.

Power is the rate torque is applied. Since the free wheel is unloaded it spins at a much faster rate than the loaded wheels. If the loaded wheels arent spinning they do not produce any power. Thus all your power escapes through that wheel BUT torque is shared equally between all 4.

In a locked diffrential POWER is shared equally between the 4 wheels because they are all forced to spin at the same rate but torque gets delivered to the most tractive wheels.

If you ever see a rock crawler if 3 wheels become unloaded the only option is for the drivetrain to deliver 100 percent torque to the one tractive wheel because they are mechanically synced together.

Then you have never had a wheel off the ground in a subie.... it kinda sucks :)

I've driven on RE92 for over 70,000 miles (on an '02 WRX and my LegGt), and though while new, the RE's perform simply OKAY in the snow, with any wear they will become downright scary. In fact, if pressed, you will wish you were in an Accord with all-season Sears brands when the RE's start to diminish their tread. It's really that bad. The RE's will betray your AWD to the point of embarrassment.

End of story.

Keepin' it real.

I think this would count as "ammo" for sure!

It just looks like a normal, "Here's my 2 cents, but I really don't know" type of discussion to me. XcapeRF03 sounds like an idiot, though. Gotta love the sweeping generalizations about Subaru drivers!

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't even see that bottom post. :icon_roll Perfect, right from the horse's mouth!

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

should have bought a outback then he would have had nothing to say.

Nah, I'm partial to the LGT. It just pissed me off that he tries to compare my sport sedan to his "4WD" "SUV" (I use quotations because the Tribute is neither one of those). Apples and oranges. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't being such a dick about it. I think he might actually believe his own bullshit, because he one step away from, "You know, I think you should start chipping in for gas when I start driving every day to work".

Ok, my buddy is convinced that he will be towing me out of the snow this winter with his 2005 Mazda Tribute (I think it has the shitty 2.3L I4 engine). After laughing at him, I explain Subaru's AWD system and he doesn't seem to care. I need some good anti-Mazda(Tribute) ammunition to give this kid a good smackdown.

I've driven one of those 4 cylinder Tributes, as a loaner. It was PAINFULLY underpowered. Honestly, I don't have words to describe how weak that car is. At one point (with three guys in the car) I had my foot to the floor to merely keep pace with traffic accelerating normally away from a light.

I doubt the Tribute has enough power to pull itself out of a ditch, let alone a car. It's an absolutely pathetic vehicle, and a black eye for the otherwise excellent Mazda lineup.

I've driven one of those 4 cylinder Tributes, as a loaner. It was PAINFULLY underpowered. Honestly, I don't have words to describe how weak that car is. At one point (with three guys in the car) I had my foot to the floor to merely keep pace with traffic accelerating normally away from a light.

I doubt the Tribute has enough power to pull itself out of a ditch, let alone a car. It's an absolutely pathetic vehicle, and a black eye for the otherwise excellent Mazda lineup.

Just found out that it is the LX V6. I guess that means that it is 200hp, like the 2006 Tribute S. It still sounds like the thing is going to blow up when he steps on it though. Of course, that could be because he NEVER warms up the engine. Just turns the key and takes off.

The V6 is a heck of a lot better, but does he know the Outback has the same ground clearance as his Tribute? AND 50HP/50ftlbs more? AND better mileage?

His AWD is no better than yours; he doesn't even have a low-range gear for this towing he's talking about. Heck, if RobY is correct, his AWD is vastly inferior to yours. Barring the lower ground clearance of the Legacy proper, your car is at least as good as his in the snow, given equal tires.

Nah, I'm partial to the LGT. It just pissed me off that he tries to compare my sport sedan to his "4WD" "SUV" (I use quotations because the Tribute is neither one of those). Apples and oranges. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't being such a dick about it. I think he might actually believe his own bullshit, because he one step away from, "You know, I think you should start chipping in for gas when I start driving every day to work".

It's time to start saying, "We'll find out as soon as it snows."

Then tape record him.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Ok stick yourself in a ditch on purpose and ask him to pull you out. While he is spinning his tires trying to tow you make sure that he doesnt burn out his engine. When he gives up, release the cable and just floor it outta there past him.

I was actually stuck nose up in a creek bed once because the gravel bridge I was on gave out. My boss wanted to pull me (Impreza RS at the time) out with his Dakota. I said no and shifted into first floored and climbed without hesitation up a bank of mud. I doubt you will be getting too stuck.

Archived