LegacyGT.com

Subaru dealer repair prices - WTF?

Have a 2007 LGT auto that needs the timing belt done and the passenger side valve cover gasket replaced. Just called two local stealerships asking for prices for both. One shop quoted $1200 for the timing belt and $260 for the valve cover gasket. The other shop quoted $775 for the timing belt and $600 for the valve cover gasket. How is one much higher than the other for one job and the opposite for the other job.

What is a realistic price for both of these jobs. I am capable of doing these repairs myself. If these prices are in the ball park I will likely do it myself.

Civilization has brought Evolution to a screeching halt

2007 Legacy GT auto

1989 Turbo Trans AM

1987 Buick Grand National

1983 DeLorean (Buick turbo transplant)

after you replace your timing belt, after buying the pieces, you'll understand.

The valve cover job is rough but mainly because its tight down there.

There are DIY on here. here's the service manual,

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds about right.

Timing belt $750-$1000 depending if you go OEM or aftermarket on the timing belt kit.

Valve covers typically $150-$200 per side.

Depending on your mileage. Check your cam seals, take off your banjo bolt filter, crank seals since you are in there already. I did the work myself and bought the Company 23 tools.

Yeah things may be a little different since you have a turbo, prices and labor time might be higher for you.

I called two dealers in 2014 before DIY'ing my valve cover gaskets, both said around $530 for both sides. $260 for one side seems accurate (It was a huge pita for me, very tight clearance between frame and the valve covers. I wish I had known about unbolting the pitch stop/dogbone mount, and jacking up the engine a little, would have helped a lot I think.). I also paid around $1200 for the dealer to do my first timing belt job, but they didn't do any idlers for that price, something to be aware of, don't assume they're included like I did. They did do the tensioner though. This was in CT for both by the way, not ME.

Edited by apexi

Unfortunately there isn't "one price for all" between different dealerships, every dealership has their own labor rate and flat rate time set. Before I left my dealership, they set a system to where every job was the same cost no matter the writer or tech working on the vehicle.

If you have to have the dealership do any repairs, I for one would look into getting your own parts. That could save you hundreds of dollars depending on the job.

There's a ton of information out there to where you could do these jobs yourself, its a matter of ability and confidence. But if you do find a tutorial, make sure you follow it to a T!

Also, ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WORK!!!!

Edited by Bax004
addition information

quotes over the phone are never accurate, the writers are often shooting from the hip because there are so many different models and engines in those models. best to go in person and get a full quote from a mechanic, but keep in mind you might be shelling out for "diagnosis" at that point.

I be telling many people that want to get into these cars, that you need to have fund set aside. Like 1000 bucks. I have a daily that runs great and If I need work I can save up or use some of that funds. I do wrench on it all but I will not pull another subie motor again. It went smooth and car was great, but I am getting to old and have 2 small kids so time is little.