LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT Engine Swap

Hello everyone!

Recently Charles, my 2005 LGTW 5-speed, puked up a rod at 190k. It wasn't unexpected by any means, and I had been planning to do an engine swap for a long time previous to the engine failure. However, I'm operating on a college budget. I wanted to compile a list of options that I've been looking into, and I am hoping you all can help me sorting out the details.

EZ30R Swap

My favorite idea would be to plop an EZ motor into Charles, and I would perfer and EZ30R or EZ36R due to their electronic throttle bodies. Ideally, I would use a stock EZ30R ECU and run the engine unmodified (for now). I know the engine will bolt in and everything, however I'm not a wiring genius and am worried about what rewiring might have to be done.

STI Ej255 Swap

If I could find one, I would like to swap in a USDM ej255 redtop motor because it would be relativley easy to do. I don't have too much information on a swap like this, though I know a motor on its own costs $3000-4000.

Rebuild the motor

Alternativley, I could just rebuild the motor. buying a shortblock off of ebay for around $2000, I wouldn't have to worry about wiring or any conversion issues. I would have to get a new turbo however, as the current one is on its way out.

Conclusion

These are just a couple of ideas of mine, and if anyone else has another idea I would love to hear it!

Can't give help on the other two but for a normal short block replacement hueberger subaru shipped my a new one for $1900. I'd personally do that before eBay. Got a gasket kit and oil pump on the same order both much cheaper than msrp. For the turbo, if you're looking at a stock one and it's not in bad shape, contact jmp for a rebuild on yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Heubergers Subaru, they'll ship a EJ255 shortblock right to your door for $1900. Did this when my '08 Outback XT turned a rod bearing. Get the heads rebuilt, put in a new turbo of any OEM' ish flavor (VF40 or 46, or a VF52 if you want a bump in power but you'll need to tune for it) and you're good to go. Wouldn't really recommend any of the options you listed :)

Yea not on a college budget. I barely managed to get speakers in my civic on a college budget but I guess it's all what you're after. I can tell you this though. New short block, machining and head rebuilds, turbo rebuild, I'm $4200. I've actually spent about 10k between tools parts and unnecessary stuff but haven't done my final tallies. Plan to do a necessary, good for maintenance, and total dollar amount once I'm done.

That said if the cars in good shape you could probably sell it for 3-4k and buy a civic. Just thinking back to my college days but cars weren't my hobby then so it depends on what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for Heubergers Subaru, they'll ship a EJ255 shortblock right to your door for $1900. Did this when my '08 Outback XT turned a rod bearing. Get the heads rebuilt, put in a new turbo of any OEM' ish flavor (VF40 or 46, or a VF52 if you want a bump in power but you'll need to tune for it) and you're good to go. Wouldn't really recommend any of the options you listed :)

Yea not on a college budget. I barely managed to get speakers in my civic on a college budget but I guess it's all what you're after. I can tell you this though. New short block, machining and head rebuilds, turbo rebuild, I'm $4200. I've actually spent about 10k between tools parts and unnecessary stuff but haven't done my final tallies. Plan to do a necessary, good for maintenance, and total dollar amount once I'm done.

That said if the cars in good shape you could probably sell it for 3-4k and buy a civic. Just thinking back to my college days but cars weren't my hobby then so it depends on what you need.

These are the correct answers. Stock-ish if you want to rebuild a LGT at a sane cost. Even if a slightly different motor will bolt straight into the chassis, anything involving ECU or wiring changes complicates stuff tremendously, from the first install to any troubleshooting down the road. Could also question the sanity of spending even that much. Those on proper college budgets should be buying used Hondas or Toyotas. Spend the minimum amount of wrenching time necessary to keep them maintained (which isn't much at all relative to any Subie, let alone the turbo models) and just put gas in 'em and change the oil.

Read the click here link in my sig.

Get the ej257 and gasket kit for your year car.

I have a good relationship with my local dealer, so I bought all my stuff from them. They even work my the machine shop so everything was pretty easy.

Make sure you get a Tune for the car for one of the recommended Tuners, there are only two or three we recommend.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hello everyone!

Recently Charles, my 2005 LGTW 5-speed, puked up a rod at 190k. It wasn't unexpected by any means, and I had been planning to do an engine swap for a long time previous to the engine failure. However, I'm operating on a college budget. I wanted to compile a list of options that I've been looking into, and I am hoping you all can help me sorting out the details.

EZ30R Swap

My favorite idea would be to plop an EZ motor into Charles, and I would perfer and EZ30R or EZ36R due to their electronic throttle bodies. Ideally, I would use a stock EZ30R ECU and run the engine unmodified (for now). I know the engine will bolt in and everything, however I'm not a wiring genius and am worried about what rewiring might have to be done.

STI Ej255 Swap

If I could find one, I would like to swap in a USDM ej255 redtop motor because it would be relativley easy to do. I don't have too much information on a swap like this, though I know a motor on its own costs $3000-4000.

Rebuild the motor

Alternativley, I could just rebuild the motor. buying a shortblock off of ebay for around $2000, I wouldn't have to worry about wiring or any conversion issues. I would have to get a new turbo however, as the current one is on its way out.

Conclusion

These are just a couple of ideas of mine, and if anyone else has another idea I would love to hear it!

Fun fact - Glassman Subaru up in Southfield, MI isn't far from you, and will reportedly price match other dealers' online prices. Of course, I learned this after I bought my block. That said, you could drive an hour and a half and end up with an STI Type RA short block for 1800 bucks picked up, if you ask them to match Mike Shaw Subaru's online price.

Sounds easier than working out an EZ30 swap.

If you're on a college budget and just want to get back on the road, could find a good used shortblock. If you're interested in that option, I happen to have one sitting on the shop floor for 500 bucks and am within driving distance :D

Edited by awfulwaffle

Thankss for the help, I should probably clarify that I have another car, and I've budgeted around 5k for this, and I lve had my eye on an Ez30 for a while due to their sound (yeah I know), and I'm will to stretch the budget slightly for more power. If I was to just rebuild the motor, I'd like to at least upgrade the turbo. Thinking VF52 with an upgraded fuel system.

And afulwaffle, I appreciate the suggestion, and how many miles are on the block?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No problem. If EZ30 is something you've researched and you have time, a path and budget, maybe it's a good way to go. Especially if you can work out low boost. Not sure that that part would fit the budget though. Can't say I've ever seen a boosted H6 Legacy.

That said, you can make a brand new short block work for 5k if you're careful and your heads are OK, with a VF52. Would be pretty straightforward. You don't gain much of anything by going for an STI block since you won't be able to use the exhaust AVCS.

The block I have has 172k on it. Was a good runner with good compression when pulled, but sounds like you'd probably be better off going one of the other routes. Wasn't sure if you just wanted to get back on the road.

Edited by awfulwaffle

Yeah, I'm ideally looking to get a fresh shortblock to go the distance. As for the Ez30, I would be using a stock motor (or perhaps with bolt-ons), and boosting it would come later.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk