LegacyGT.com

Ball joint completely stuck

Ok guys. I have a problem again. So my control arms are shot. I got a new set with everything pressed in already. So I disassembled everything except for the ball joints. I have the pinch bolt out of the knuckle and have been beating on this control arm with a 3lb hammer for hours. I’ve drenched this thing in penetrating fluid. I heated it. Keep beating the heck out of it. I can’t get it out. To be clear. I am trying to separate the control with the ball joint in it from the knuckle. Not the ball joint from the control arm. If anyone had any ideas on how to get this thing out it would be appreciated because now I have 2 control arms hanging down and are beat to hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickle fork, your best friend in these situations

Yeah but isn’t that for just separating the ball joint from the control arm? I’m trying to get the ball out of the knuckle

There's a couple of ways you can go about it.

If you have some time and money to spare, you can finish removing the control arm from the ball joint stuck in the knuckle, and order yourself a Subaru ball joint puller tool. Snap-On makes one, as well as Company23, and there may be others.

If you have access to an air hammer with a chisel bit, you can also try placing the edge of the bit at a downward angle, on the lip of the ball joint that protrudes when it's in the knuckle and air hammer it out.

With 2 people, one person can place a long pry bar between the top of the control arm and the bottom of the knuckle (where the pinch bolt goes), while the other person swings a BFH to the control arm right by where the ball joint stud goes through. There's a chance you can beat the control arm to hell this way, but a non issue if you're replacing the whole arm.

With any method, it can also help to VERY CAREFULLY spread the knuckle apart, where the pinch bolt goes through, with either a chisel and hammer or air hammer.

Ok. I’ll try the air hammer. Go grab one tomorrow and some mapp gas. I can’t believe how stuck this thing is. Hopefully the gallon of penetration fluid that’s on it works it’s magic overnight too which will help

As someone who has done this way more times than I care to admit. My go-to is a crowbar I bought from the dollar tree (yes, they have those there) I’d wedge it between the control arm and the knuckle and use a rubber mallet and pull out my strongest choice vocabulary and go to town. Heat would help. Typically let it soak overnight in PB blaster to get the job done.

Separate the control arms first and get them out of the way. Use a slide hammer to assist in getting the ball joint out of the knuckle. It's a little awkward because you have to use the hub puller piece but it works like a charm, every time!

Freeze-off is a great product to use on real rusty parts. Heat expands, cold contracts. Heat works but you will be breathing in all the nasty chemicals from the boots and grease. You will need to heat up the knuckle which can take quite a while and you risk damaging it. Be sure to make clean the hole once you get the ball joint out to make install easier.

Yeah, loosely bolt the arms back into the chassis. then work on getting the ball joint out.

I would remove the ball joint first, then work on the easy stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Got the first side done. Just want a new pinch bolt as to not take any chances. Used the air hammer in the pinch area to spread it and banged 10 times it popped right out. It was so corroded. It definitely had way more play than the new ones. Also changed the sway bar endlink while I was in there and might even do the tie rod end. Now I have to work on the other that has a rounded pinch bolt. Got an extractor set on the way. Hopefully amazon comes through and I can finish the second side today.

Air chisel worked. All done. So the air chisel probably shouldn’t be used to pound the ball

Joint out but it is good for spreading the knuckle. I drove it in then used a chisel on each side. I gotta say I have never had to beat something like this to get it out. It took a good hour or so of pounding. Eventually it didn’t start to come out. When I pulled them. They were disgusting completely rusted and they were so worn out and moved so easily. The new ones are stiff. I greased everything and put never seize on all the bolts. The knuckle bolts had to be replaced. One broke off and the other was so damaged it couldn’t be used.

Now I just have to wait for the test drive. Left the key in all night and she’s dead. So I have a slow charge on it. Wish there was a way to move the steering by hand without the key but oh well. It’s done now.