LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

2nd the cabin filter idea. I use the white Sprayway can style (I think that's the same as Invisible Glass). Forgot about my cabin filter after a couple years and only ~15K miles and holy hell was it filled with crud.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

These includes cleaning the wipers themselves - try running paper towel wet with alcohol over the rubber edge of the wiper and you'll be amazed how much crud there is.

I actually do this all the time using RainX. Yeah, amazing the amount of crud they gather.

+1 for Invisible Glass inside and out. I use RainX bug juice for washer fluid, in my climate the annual RainX treatment does me well on exterior. Could stand to swap my air filter and see if it makes a difference, suspect it could.

Doesn’t help that my ride doubles as the Legacy Lounge- an occasional parked beer (no keys in ignition) has become a pandemic parenting punctuation. And when I have a beer, I tend to enjoy some ocean grown aromatherapy. Windshield fog def accumulates faster when smoke is involved. I chalked it up to the Cheech n Chong factor. 

• Haha 1

Talking about cleaning, I did some of it yesterday: restored the driver and passenger side front seat belts. They were filthy (I have tan interior). I wish I took before/after pics. They now look like new! Used pure 'super clean' solution and used a pvc pipe to clean the belt as shown in this video (go to ~47sec mark).

• Like 2

I’m gonna do something like that soon. My seatbelt is black so it’s hard to tell, but I’m certain it’s not clean.

I did wash and wax both my cars the other day, otherwise pretty uneventful lately. Too hot outside to work on cars 

17 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Talking about cleaning, I did some of it yesterday: restored the driver and passenger side front seat belts. They were filthy (I have tan interior). I wish I took before/after pics. They now look like new! Used pure 'super clean' solution and used a pvc pipe to clean the belt as shown in this video (go to ~47sec mark).

I took off and cleaned the headliner in my wagon a few years back. Used Bissel wet vac I bought for that project. The amount of dirt that came out of it was unreal. And I don't smoke or let anyone smoke in my car.

• Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

mmh. Maybe I should do that too. I am scared to break stuff though. At least, next on my list is restoring my steering wheel, probably using this  (I have the momo steering wheel with the wood piece at the top). I will probably restore the gear knob too. I also want to repaint the shifter bezel. Mine is awful. Will change the dash in a couple of months as well including the heater core. Probably should repaint the car as well  :lol:

Anyway, slippery slope of restoring an almost 20 year old car :spin:

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Haha 2

I did my headlights on the weekend.  As the driver side was quite yellow, I started with 800 grit sandpaper and wet sanded through 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit.  Used the polish and did that twice.  Applied the sealant.  They look better.....

4 minutes ago, GearJamr said:

I did my headlights on the weekend.  As the driver side was quite yellow, I started with 800 grit sandpaper and wet sanded through 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit.  Used the polish and did that twice.  Applied the sealant.  They look better.....

Nice. I have a good restoring kit for my headlights, but have been lazy to use it. However, two weeks ago I just went ahead and used a wet 'magic eraser' from Mr. Clean. It did a great job!

5 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

mmh. Maybe I should do that too. I am scared to break stuff though. At least, next on my list is restoring my steering wheel, probably using this  (I have the momo steering wheel with the wood piece at the top). I will probably restore the gear knob too. I also want to repaint the shifter bezel. Mine is awful. Will change the dash in a couple of months as well including the heater core. Probably should repaint the car as well  :lol:

Anyway, slippery slope of restoring an almost 20 year old car :spin:

It was not as bad as I initially thought. Granted my pain level has been elevated by pulling engines, doing HG jobs and tranny swap but still it was not too bad. Main thing is actually having enough room and a way to pull the headliner out of the car - thanks God we have wagons.

I used our single car garage at that time - car was barely pulled in so I could have room to move the headliner out through rear gate. Then I laid the headliner in the family room on the carpet on two layers of painter's poly film so I could access it from all 4 sides. Then went to spray with water, then Tuff Stuff from Walmart. Idea is to let the foam soak into the headliner. Let is sit for few minutes. Then collect the dirty solution with Bissel. I believe I did this 3 times over span of 2 days, letting it dry a little between passes.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Been driving with the TGV deletes for about 3 weeks now and FKL is looking back to normal (worst is -1.4), albeit with -5 degrees of timing in the Access Port, so I moved to -3 degrees. Shall see how it goes. Word from the shop is that our gas is pretty bad right now, even 93/94 octane, so it might be a short experiment. Wish me luck?

Edited by lagwagon

Haven't had time to do much, but installed a USB switch so I can switch between wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto depending on the phone.  Works really smooth and clean.  Semester is approaching like a freight train so not sure when I'll get a chance to work on much else...

• Like 2

I called the King County Sheriffs Department to report that someone came along while I was out and stole my SSRs! 😡😡😡

Now I have to figure out what to rest the car on. Maybe some 6x6 wood blocks...

• Sad 8

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Cleaning my seatbelts, replacing my dash, heater core, and HVAC actuators, replacing my cowl and cowl trim has all been on my list of things to do for too long. I just keep kicking the can down the road. I just started really considering respraying my hood too. I need a priority check. I can't imagine some of the parts above will be around too much longer through the dealer. 

• Like 3

MILKRUN  - Click Here

8 minutes ago, Smithcraft said:

I called the King County Sheriffs Department to report that someone came along while I was out and stole my SSRs! 😡😡😡

Now I have to figure out what to rest the car on. Maybe some 6x6 wood blocks...

Send pics and as much detail about the wheels, location, and incident as possible so I can keep my eye out for them. 

• Like 3

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Washed it a few days ago, and ordered a group n transmission mount, took a friend out for a drive in it and found out I can get the car sideways in first gear on dry pavement 😝.

In other news we bought a second vehicle a week ago.  Ended up finding a 2011 Forester XT for 2k because it had a CEL on for cylinder 3 misfire, broken exhaust, and cracked front grill.  CEL was fixed with a new spark plug & replacement coil a day after I got it home.  I have a line on a sti take off exhaust and replacement grill has been ordered from Yahoo auctions, just waiting on delivery of it.

• Like 8

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

4 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

Washed it a few days ago, and ordered a group n transmission mount, took a friend out for a drive in it and found out I can get the car sideways in first gear on dry pavement 😝.

In other news we bought a second vehicle a week ago.  Ended up finding a 2011 Forester XT for 2k because it had a CEL on for cylinder 3 misfire, broken exhaust, and cracked front grill.  CEL was fixed with a new spark plug & replacement coil a day after I got it home.  I have a line on a sti take off exhaust and replacement grill has been ordered from Yahoo auctions, just waiting on delivery of it.

Nice! Knowledge is power (and some savings too)!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I am about to change the back-up light switch on one of my 5MT trans. Would trans fluid spill out? Would it help to jack the car as high as possible from the driver side?

Just changed it. I did jack the driver side. Trans oil did not leak. 5min job.

Also changed rear right wheel bearing. Lasted 100k. That's pretty good. 

• Like 2

It's what I did instead of building a 4th Gen. Round 2 sim cockpit. I purchased extruded aluminum locally. The supplier was nice enough to cut the lengths for me. Dropped all the aluminum off at a local anodizing shop.  Got it all back this morning. Purchased the brackets for the wheel deck, shifter and pedal tray from a shop in Canada. Borrowed my neighbors welder to f8nish up the wheel deck. Painted all the steel myself. Probably saved 50% over buying a pre-packaged rig. Kinda stoked. 

Big boy Lego project is time consuming as my ocd kicked in. Spent a few hours verifying square and level.  She is within 0.5mm of perfect.  Will wire up the bass shakers and finish the build. Then I need to fab up a plate and mount a 3rd bass shaker to the bottom of the pedal tray.  Most likely this project will continue into Sunday. Hopefully I can drive the new "car" late Sunday.

20230726_142426.jpg

20230726_142459.jpg

20230728_233413.jpg

20230728_233433.jpg

20230728_233527.jpg

20230728_233600.jpg

• Like 6

F'in ass hats. I hope they get what's coming to them 10 fold.  Stealing a man's wheels like its 1988 all over again.  

What's the new media story distracting you from the real news?  Oh, yeah... Try that in a small town.  If I don't shoot you dead F'in with my car, my neighbor sure will. 

• Like 4