LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

That really wasn't very clear.  The factory radiator failed and I ordered a new Koyorad aluminum one to replace it.  The old radiator failed at the seam between the plastic top and the aluminum body.  Sorry about the confusion.  

Taking the plunge and have contacted Matt Miner about tuning my car, been overdue. Going to have to tow it to him and get clutch work done also as I have been procrastinating the replacement of the clutch fork when it broke a couple of months back.

• Like 1

Hello to all the passionate/insane spec.B owners out there that are keeping OUR dream alive and well. I'm new here but I've used this site for a number of repairs, advice, recs, etc and found my car as well. I've decided to post for a number of reasons. One being that we're a dying breed, and not just the Subi community but for all car enthusiasts. Two, the new/used car market is absurd. Lastly, because I'm guessing there are only about half of the  spec.B's left. So in saying that, I've decided to go all in with it.

Here's what I have:

07 Legacy Spec.b - DGM. I bought it in 2016 with 137k and have put around 60k on it myself. It was modified but wasn't stressed out and the previous owner was a mechanic.

Pre-installed parts: 

Perrin divorced DP

SPT full 3' exhaust 

SPT intake

GS BC 3 port

GS cross pipe

Nameless up pipe 

Sparco Assetto Gara

Protune (AP V2)

What I installed:

Whiteline rear 4-piece control arm/lat link kit

Whiteline front control arms

Whiteline F/R sway bar + linkage kit

Megan EZ ll coils

Mishimoto rad

IAG AOS

Various OEM hoses, plugs, CV's, gaskets, etc

To be installed as I'm currently undergoing an engine rebuild:

RA short block 

Rebuilt heads

ARP 11mm heads studs

GSC beehive valve springs + retainers 

Steamspeed Gen2 71mm BB 8cm² ported 

Perrin inlet 

Denso one step colder plugs

GrimmSpeed TMIC + Perrin coupler

ACT HD street + flywheel

ID 1050x injector

Torque solution engine/trans mount

Cobb high flow fuel pump

Probably missing from parts, etc

When all said and fiimished, I'll keep you guys posted.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 07spec.Boobaru said:

Hello to all the passionate/insane spec.B owners out there that are keeping OUR dream alive and well. I'm new here but I've used this site for a number of repairs, advice, recs, etc and found my car as well. I've decided to post for a number of reasons. One being that we're a dying breed, and not just the Subi community but for all car enthusiasts. Two, the new/used car market is absurd. Lastly, because I'm guessing there are only about half of the  spec.B's left. So in saying that, I've decided to go all in with it.

Here's what I have:

07 Legacy Spec.b - DGM. I bought it in 2016 with 137k and have put around 60k on it myself. It was modified but wasn't stressed out and the previous owner was a mechanic.

Pre-installed parts: 

Perrin divorced DP

SPT full 3' exhaust 

SPT intake

GS BC 3 port

GS cross pipe

Nameless up pipe 

Sparco Assetto Gara

Protune (AP V2)

What I installed:

Megan EZ ll coils

Mishimoto rad

IAG AOS

RA short block 

Rebuilt heads

ARP 11mm heads studs

Perrin inlet 

ACT HD street + flywheel

ID 1050x injector

Cobb high flow fuel pump

Nice, Please let me spend more of your money :) , so add:

FPR /W gauge

Fuel lines (Nice AN lines)

Fluid Damper Crank Pulley

STI Brakes

AP3 with New protune

Another Set of wheels

Fire extinguisher

Go all in, cheaper to save and keep these cars on the road than to buy a 45k WRX New, or anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 07spec.Boobaru said:

Here's what I have:

Pre-installed parts: 

Perrin divorced DP

SPT full 3' exhaust 

SPT intake

GS BC 3 port

GS cross pipe

Nameless up pipe 

Sparco Assetto Gara

Protune (AP V2)

What I installed:

Megan EZ ll coils

Mishimoto rad

IAG AOS

RA short block 

Rebuilt heads

ARP 11mm heads studs

Perrin inlet 

ACT HD street + flywheel

ID 1050x injector

Cobb high flow fuel pump

Nice setup, let us know when you get it tuned and post a pic of your car.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

5 hours ago, NORULZleggy said:

Nice, Please let me spend more of your money :) , so add:

FPR /W gauge

Fuel lines (Nice AN lines)

Fluid Damper Crank Pulley

STI Brakes

AP3 with New protune

Another Set of wheels

Fire extinguisher

Go all in, cheaper to save and keep these cars on the road than to buy a 45k WRX New, or anything else. 

Hah right on, I'll take all the advice/recs I can. I've been thinking about setting up a Go Fund Me to see if people want to help me dig a deeper grave..👌

I'll definitely look into the add-ons but I'm wayy over as it is. The issue I may have with the AP3 (forgot to mention the ap2 stopped working about a year ago) is with the exhaust. I only have the small one in the DP, but I don't have any other deletes. I was talking about it with the shop/tuner (#MundyTuned) and I'm gonna go with open source on his hub dyno. 

Thanks again for the recs man.

2 minutes ago, 07spec.Boobaru said:

Hah right on, I'll take all the advice/recs I can. I've been thinking about setting up a Go Fund Me to see if people want to help me dig a deeper grave..👌

I'll definitely look into the add-ons but I'm wayy over as it is. The issue I may have with the AP3 (forgot to mention the ap2 stopped working about a year ago) is with the exhaust. I only have the small one in the DP, but I don't have any other deletes. I was talking about it with the shop/tuner (#MundyTuned) and I'm gonna go with open source on his hub dyno. 

Thanks again for the recs man.

*Cat

Installed the Koyorad tonight.  Spent some time cleaning the fans and shrouds to try to make them look a little better before installing them on the awesome new radiator.  This thing looks fantastic.  I'm really impressed.  You have to install the nipple for the connection to the turbo reservoir.  When you do, the flat sides for the wrench end up being perfectly horizontal.  Really nice attention to detail.  Install was straight forward and fairly easy.  You do have to get things in the right order.  I mounted the driver side fan and installed the radiator.  Then put the passenger side fan in from underneath.  That way I didn't have to take the upper radiator hose off of the crossover pipe.  Got all of the hoses connected and ran the car up to operating temp to burp the system.  Then went for a drive and enjoyed the non-leaking radiator.

PXL_20230427_215814879.MP.jpg

PXL_20230427_220358560.jpg

PXL_20230427_222215617.jpg

• Like 7

On 4/17/2023 at 10:26 AM, tysparks81 said:

I have been using the DW300C without any issues so far.  Not sure if you have yours hardwired, but that might shorten the life of the pump.

So, I've been thinking about this exact thing while I was looking for the DW pump wire upgrade kit that I have somewhere. All this talk of pumps dying, I was actually thinking the total opposite, that perhaps that it is because of 15+ year old wiring and voltage drops along the way underfeeding the pump.

Motors that get less then 'desired' voltage do not live as long. To clarify, I am still talking about using the pump PWM controller, just upgrading the wiring that feeds it to say, 12g or what have you. There is a write up on this somewhere, Performance Mod Walk Throughs, I think.

This had been on my list of things to do, and Cryotune said they didn't like the upgrade because they want to use the rising rate pump control. I misunderstood and didn't do the install, but now realize he was thinking the intention was to wire around the controller and the pump would run at 100% all the time.

Seeing that you can re-wire the whole things just to provide more voltage to the pump with less loss, and still maintain the PWM control, I'm going to go ahead and do this install. I just do wonder if some of the pump failures that were mentioned earlier could be becuase the uprated aftermarket pumps that have been installed want a little more juice than they're getting/..... (and there is a definite argument about upsizing the wiring inside the pump housing to be had, but for the moment I will be content to get more voltage to the back of the car. (Word of mouth results from others have shown it to have good results/increased line pressure.)

• Like 3

Today brought my 09 LGT to the body shop to fix the nasty scratch (rusting) above windshield when they replaced it a year+ back.  They are sandblasting it and then painting satin white pearl from the A pillars all the way to the rear bumper and rear quarterpanels

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

^^. Dang, that must be $$.

Yeah the total will be ~3.5K to disassemble, fix the rust line above windshield, paint it, and replace the front and rear windows.  Nice that the company that mussed up the paint when they replaced the windshield a year+ back is payin for the repairs.

14 hours ago, KZJonny said:

So, I've been thinking about this exact thing while I was looking for the DW pump wire upgrade kit that I have somewhere. All this talk of pumps dying, I was actually thinking the total opposite, that perhaps that it is because of 15+ year old wiring and voltage drops along the way underfeeding the pump.

Motors that get less then 'desired' voltage do not live as long. To clarify, I am still talking about using the pump PWM controller, just upgrading the wiring that feeds it to say, 12g or what have you. There is a write up on this somewhere, Performance Mod Walk Throughs, I think.

This had been on my list of things to do, and Cryotune said they didn't like the upgrade because they want to use the rising rate pump control. I misunderstood and didn't do the install, but now realize he was thinking the intention was to wire around the controller and the pump would run at 100% all the time.

Seeing that you can re-wire the whole things just to provide more voltage to the pump with less loss, and still maintain the PWM control, I'm going to go ahead and do this install. I just do wonder if some of the pump failures that were mentioned earlier could be becuase the uprated aftermarket pumps that have been installed want a little more juice than they're getting/..... (and there is a definite argument about upsizing the wiring inside the pump housing to be had, but for the moment I will be content to get more voltage to the back of the car. (Word of mouth results from others have shown it to have good results/increased line pressure.)

I’m planning to do the same. I have a ‘07 STi controller and plan to upgrade the wiring as well. 

10 hours ago, Infosecdad said:

I’m planning to do the same. I have a ‘07 STi controller and plan to upgrade the wiring as well. 

Given any thought to the alternator diode fix? I am curious, and would prefer the solid state sense fuse method to wiring in a diode… Seems to me that everything having a strong voltage supply is a good thing.

Just wondering if anyone else would want to go in on shipping a handful over from Aus.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Given any thought to the alternator diode fix? I am curious, and would prefer the solid state sense fuse method to wiring in a diode… Seems to me that everything having a strong voltage supply is a good thing.

Just wondering if anyone else would want to go in on shipping a handful over from Aus.

I did the alternator boost with the fuse trick from Australia. It boosted the output, but I think it may have shortened the life of my coils with it.  So I reverted back to standard setup there. I'm going with the heavier wiring to and from the fuel pump controller to help combat the voltage from smaller wires.

• Like 2

I don't know of any kits for it. 
I know a few people bypassed the controller for 100% duty cycle, but I personally don't think that is a good idea after researching.

OG threads.

Some upgrade the wiring to a heavier wire and others also replace the LGT controller with an STi controller part #22750AA010 

I'll be in the second camp.

• Like 2

The DW kit is pretty affordable for what it is.... I have one, as described and the wiring is good quality, and the relay also seems to be a solid unit. (I'll still keep one in the glovebox, just in case....) At least now that I have a fuel pressure gauge permanently under the hood, I would be able to quickly diagnose a pressure issue.

https://deatschwerks.com/en-ca/products/fphwk?_pos=1&_sid=57d754923&_ss=r

Get one of these at your local speed shop....

23 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

I did the alternator boost with the fuse trick from Australia. It boosted the output, but I think it may have shortened the life of my coils with it.  So I reverted back to standard setup there. I'm going with the heavier wiring to and from the fuel pump controller to help combat the voltage from smaller wires.

I will listen to emperical evidence, especially from the experienced members here... but do you really suppose a ~0.5v increase to the coils is enough to kill them? I mean, everything is still being kept in check by the reg/rec no?

I ask from the context of having replaced the wiring to coils on other applications in the past, where old wiring was causing voltage drops, and I wanted to get 'max' voltage to the coils for good spark.

Not dead set on the diode "mod" just thinking that as these cars age out, what used to be smalll voltage drops are probably getting a little worse, and I am not going to re-wire the whole car, clearly. Just the things that really matter or that have known fixes. (fuel pump + wrx/sti FPCM) etc...