LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

what is your JDM bumper?.

The unsupported optional skirt is as follows:

Screenshot-1.png

I have a Legacy wagon (non-turbo) and a Miata and one popular mod for the Miata is to cut the rear bumper upward to the support since the lower part of the bumper acts like a parachute. One person used fluid dynamics analysis to show this saved seven pounds of drag at 75 mph or the loss of 1.4 horsepower. The Legacy bumper is obviously wider so more power would be lost.

What some people are doing is adding a diffuser at the back with some underbody streamlining. This could be a good project for someone. We already have a thread on streamlining so that would be a natural discussion to conduct there.

This is an example:

bumpercutout.jpg

Normally the bumper is one smooth line from side to side at the level of the sides. Some people offer diffusers of dubious value to augment the venturi effect under the body.

what is your JDM bumper?.

The unsupported optional skirt is as follows:

Screenshot-1.png

Yes, that's exactly what I got.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have a Legacy wagon (non-turbo) and a Miata and one popular mod for the Miata is to cut the rear bumper upward to the support since the lower part of the bumper acts like a parachute. One person used fluid dynamics analysis to show this saved seven pounds of drag at 75 mph or the loss of 1.4 horsepower. The Legacy bumper is obviously wider so more power would be lost.

What some people are doing is adding a diffuser at the back with some underbody streamlining. This could be a good project for someone. We already have a thread on streamlining so that would be a natural discussion to conduct there.

This is an example:

bumpercutout.jpg

Normally the bumper is one smooth line from side to side at the level of the sides. Some people offer diffusers of dubious value to augment the venturi effect under the body.

That's something I could participate in, trying different difusers for the rear bumper skin. The stock one is probably not too bad since there is spare wheel well but with optional lip I see how that can present an issue.

After all these years, I finally took apart the positive battery cable on the wagon because that OEM nut looked pretty corroded. I was surprised to see how clean the surfaces between the terminals were. I did wire brush them and tried to clean the bottom of the nut and reassembled.

The nut didn't want to break loose with a 1/4" ratchet, so I sprayed a few drops of Aero-Kroil on and got my 3/8" butterfly air impact. That worked great.

I did put those red and green felt pads on the battery post.

I decided to clean that nut after noticing how clean the same part was on the Spec B.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is an example:

bumpercutout.jpg

The venturi effect only applies to confined laminar flow and others assumptions.

The aerodynamics of the car is more complex (turbulent and open flow), however, I understand the point of the diffusers of questionable value jajajaja.

If anyone have a LGT 3D cad file i can release a CFD simulation for calculate the drag force :spin:.

This is an example:

bumpercutout.jpg

That's something I could participate in, trying different difusers for the rear bumper skin. The stock one is probably not too bad since there is spare wheel well but with optional lip I see how that can present an issue.

The venturi effect only applies to confined laminar flow and others assumptions.

The aerodynamics of the car is more complex (turbulent and open flow), however, I understand the point of the diffusers of questionable value jajajaja.

If anyone have a LGT 3D cad file i can release a CFD simulation for calculate the drag force :spin:.

aero thread is here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/4th-gen-aero-282756.html?t=282756

more science than you handle unless aero is your job.

The miata, indeed, does have a parachute for a rear bumper skin. The LGT does not. end of story. If you don't believe, check out the cfd runs awfulwaffle did proving that. Also crawl under the rear of your car and look up. The bumper skin is pretty tightly sealed to the spare tire bump. It's almost like it was designed to be more aero.

Think what you like, but real world testing has shown both versions to be very aero. The wagon tail needs work, but finding a streetable solution has been elusive.

Finding ppl with adequate skills, software licenses, and compute time has been tough. If you can help out, please do. Madrig offered to build a wagon mid wing if we could find a design that works.

Spent the day gutting the engine compartment and dash of all wiring, insulation, and etc. For my last quarter of school, I'm using my dealer training courses to test out of class . Then using class time to make a minimal harness for the race wagon.

It's pretty light already, but gutting the wiring might find another 30-50lbs off the front. Also provides a chance to view the cage structure at the front. Maybe add some safety in the form of chassis stiffness.

I might add that one popular and cheap aero mod with the first-generation Miata (easy to recognize - they have pop-up headlights) is the PNU - pool noodle upgrade. You can tuck a standard pool noodle up into the "parachute" section of the bumper and there are pickup points that you can zip-tie it to. Less than $2 to gain more than 1% in horsepower on the highway? Miata drivers will take that deal all day long.

My Miata is a second-generation - nowhere near as easy to execute on that one but still worthwhile.

Finally got it lowered thanks to awfulwaffle. One of the lowers on the coil overs I had was frozen stuck and I didn't want to be an inch of the ground. So used konis are now on the car and it looks and feels good.

c576ccb34df86d57bf1c4d0d3602bc56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, are you referring to the BCs off that sedan I parted out? I didn't know the condition of the coilovers because I bought the car for the breaks but I'd be happy to work with you on the coilovers

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

If you use venmo for free payments, its not going to be free much longer. New terms are coming out.

Way I read the terms is that it will remain free for "personal" payments. If you start a "merchant" style portion it'll charge you. Granted still less than pp fees by a bit.

Hey, are you referring to the BCs off that sedan I parted out? I didn't know the condition of the coilovers because I bought the car for the breaks but I'd be happy to work with you on the coilovers

Yep those and nope not worried about it. I appreciate it though. I knew the risks of $200 coil overs from an unknown car. Thinking about putting them on eBay as for parts since I can guarantee 3 corners are not seized.

Also been debating ways to remove that lower mount that may be more destructive. Replace it for $50 and resell them. Sounds like a lot of effort though.

Yep those and nope not worried about it. I appreciate it though. I knew the risks of $200 coil overs from an unknown car. Thinking about putting them on eBay as for parts since I can guarantee 3 corners are not seized.

Also been debating ways to remove that lower mount that may be more destructive. Replace it for $50 and resell them. Sounds like a lot of effort though.

Ok man, I do feel bad when things do not go as planned so definitely reach out of I can do anything.

So if you're considering getting destructive I have a recommendation.

Put it in a vice.

Get two guys, two punches, two hammers.

Hit at the same time, opposite sides, in a loosening direction.

We have disassembled large cylinder caps this way on main landing gear struts.

Edited by norutah

I did get it in a vise and put a 36" pipe wrench on it but I couldn't get the vise to stop rotating and everyone at work was just looking at me like an idiot. Couldn't seem to get a good clamp on it. When I have more time I'll get creative mounting it and try that solution.

In other news I got one of the koni dampers I put in replaced and no more clunking noises. Yesterday went and drove around near hell which was pretty fun but didn't have a chance for pictures. Also found the limits on my 800tw tires. They are almost worn out so gotta figure out what I want next. Maybe a uhpas like a gforce comp.

Next weekend taking a trip to Florida and based on what we are doing figured out tail of the dragon only adds an hour to our return drive so will likely do that.

I did get it in a vise and put a 36" pipe wrench on it but I couldn't get the vise to stop rotating and everyone at work was just looking at me like an idiot. Couldn't seem to get a good clamp on it. When I have more time I'll get creative mounting it and try that solution.

Drill a hole in a piece of square stock. Bolt the strut to the stock and put the stock in the vice. 36" pipe wrench...damn tight. The more I thought about it I had to edit/add. The pipe wrench will crush the lock nut making it did in and or become tighter with increased friction

Edited by norutah

Yesterday I installed some clear lenses that I've had forever on my jdm headlights. I realized while my headlights were off just how long they've been on the car and how beat up they are. The inside of the cover is starting to peel a bit. With 245k miles on the car I think these have been on almost as long as the oem ones were (I'd have to look at my book).

With that said, I started looking for replacements. It seems that the lights are much harder to come by these days. The only options I've found on ebay are shipped from Malaysia, Thailand or the Russian Federation. No US importers seem to have any in stock.

Anyone have a spare set of JDM Rev A-C headlights laying around?

RIP, my brake line busted last week. Called SoA to try to get ahead on the claim part as it looks to be the "fixed" brake line recall issue. Got to tow it to the local Subaru shop for them to confirm my suspicion and do the air bag recall. SoA agent told me they wont open the case till an authorized Subaru looks at it and then they can decide the methodology going forward. I did find the Brake line thread which I will perform if they said they aint covering it but hopefully they see the error in their ways. Plan to file a issue with NHTS depeding on the answers.

Got my tailgate garnish from UPS today. More importantly, all the plastic tabs are intact. No more hearing broken plastic bits bouncing around each time I open the liftgate.77caa9f0e13676ccd53a9ea173f0f1d6.jpg2c6566b74a5e221e121eeca44538d712.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

What is that thing? Looks nice.

aero thread is here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/4th-gen-aero-282756.html?t=282756

more science than you handle unless aero is your job.

The miata, indeed, does have a parachute for a rear bumper skin. The LGT does not. end of story. If you don't believe, check out the cfd runs awfulwaffle did proving that. Also crawl under the rear of your car and look up. The bumper skin is pretty tightly sealed to the spare tire bump. It's almost like it was designed to be more aero.

Think what you like, but real world testing has shown both versions to be very aero. The wagon tail needs work, but finding a streetable solution has been elusive.

Finding ppl with adequate skills, software licenses, and compute time has been tough. If you can help out, please do. Madrig offered to build a wagon mid wing if we could find a design that works.

wooooow perfect! My MSc is in CFD and combustion science, and have multiple scientific articles in the field. I'll have to read that topic, they've probably done a lot so far... you are great!

Edited by Ajerezcl

Sent payment for JDM double din. Just need to order the stereo now and wait

Nice, this is always the harder part since its sucks buying something only to dislike it months later and taking a hit on re-selling it