LegacyGT.com

NEED HELP ASAP (Cylinder 2 misfire driving me insane.)

well. Looks like you found your problem! That's great. Now let's hope that the valve is still OK. I guess it should be since your compression results were consistent across all cylinders.

Looks like all intake valve clearances are just fine. So I would leave these alone.

Also, passenger side (#1 and #3) are OK on the exhaust side as well. So I would not touch these either.

Exhaust clearances on #4 are slightly on the small side.

So if it was my car, I would change all exhaust buckets on the driver side for #2 and #4. And that's it! And if you saw what I did, I selected bucket sizes so that I could have slightly looser clearances. Can't remember, I think I targeted 0.37mm instead of 0.35mm.

I think the buckets are like 18$ a piece or something. Might as well put a brand new timing belt with pulleys and stuff too.

Be ready to destroy the exhaust camshaft bolt. Such a soft metal.

Have a look at the stuff I bought on the thread I linked. That may inspire you.

Now, take your time, don't rush it and do a good job! Have fun :spin:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool I already ordered a new timing set with water pump. And a new Subaru thermostat. And I seen a trick using a Irwin 11/16 rounded bolt removal socket to remove the cam pulley bolt without damaging it. That way you can reinstall it. What do you think about this?

I watched a vid using the 11/16 Irwin extractor but when I tried to use it it acted like it was to small and the next size up was to big? How hard can you hammer it on the bolt I was just tapping it not very hard was afraid of messing up the cam or pulley.

Get a bigger hammer. You need to drive the edges of the extractor into the bolt.

I know its to late but, I can make a home made impact tool by hitting the head of the breaker bar with a 5lb hammer while pushing it in the off direction when trying to remove that pesky bolt.

It may take a few whack's, but we do it hear at work a lot.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What brand timing kit did you order? The Gates tensioners are Chinese garbage; the Aisin kits are currently the ones to get.

I used a gates kit a couple years ago and all the parts were high quality Japanese components, with the exception of the water pump, which was significantly lower quality than the factory unit.

ok guys thanks for all the help. I got the cam bolts off with the extractor. and I measures cyl 2 and 4 exh buckets and I updated the pdf to show the measurements. can someone please look at my math and make sure I calculated the size of the new buckets correctly I would really appreciate it. also whwn taking off the cam caps and the large plate that holds on the cams I couldnt help but notice the lack of space to fit a torque wrench in there. so how did you put it back together just use the torque wrench where you can and just feel as close as possible on the others?

subaru valve lash.pdf

That looks good to me.

Regarding the torque wrench issue, yeah I used it where I could. I used 'feel' for the rest. Not the best but it worked.

When you reassemble everything, make sure not to overuse rtv on the ocv bracket and the cam caps.

Ok guys I got it all put back together and checked the timing belt 3 times but when I went to start it up for the first time it's cranking really slow and popping and acting like it's out of time and checked the battery (12.4) so can being off a tooth act like this? Oh and I turned it over at least 4 times by hand with crank bolt and rechecked the timing marks and all looked good.

I think I did but if I lined it up with the arrow by accident it wouldn't spin over by hand would it? You would think that the pistons would hit the valves and wouldn't let it spin over. Because I spun it over like 3 times and rechecked marks and they were all still lined up.

Archived