LegacyGT.com

How can I get above 17 MPG!!!

I have a GT LTD Wagon with about 1200 miles on it. I have gone through five tanks of gas and my best milage was 16.7, the worst was 12.9 and the average in the high 15s. The best mpg I had was from taking it really easy on the car - no sudden starts and not pushing the gas pedal more than a 1/4 down (except for maybe five times). Believe me, I kept track of how I drove during that tank. I calculated the mileage by filling up the tank and tracking the miles, but I also compared this to the mpg readout on the dash (which was always higher). I do drive mostly city miles, but I thought for sure that by taking it easy I would at least get 19 MPG. I do not mind 16 MPG as long as I am having a lot of fun doing so (i.e., heavy acceleration all the time)! I have seen reports of people getting over 20 MPG and am curious if I have a problem or if this car just drinks gas in city driving.

Something is weird here. I have a LGT Sedan Ltd. with just over 1000 miles and get about 21 MPG. Mind you this is with me driving aggressively. Sounds like something may be wrong. The worst I've seen thus far is 19 MPG. Service time. NGG

[quote name='NewGTGuy']Something is weird here. I have a LGT Sedan Ltd. with just over 1000 miles and get about 21 MPG. Mind you this is with me driving aggressively. Sounds like something may be wrong. The worst I've seen thus far is 19 MPG. Service time. NGG[/quote] Same here, usually high 20's -21 and I'm always on it. If you don't reset the trip B odometer it's cool because it calculates MPG from the total. I haven't reset that since new so it gives me total MPG.

Getting about 23MPG in mixed busy highway / residential driving. NOTE: My trip computer is 5-10% optimistic with its MPG readout; I've tracked this carefully for the last four tankfuls, filling unitl pump shutoff at the same pump. The 23MPG posted above are from my calculations; the trip computer reports 24-25MPG for those tanks.

How far is your work from home, I live about 2 miles from work and that kills gas mileage. The engine never reaches maximum efficency. When I had my wrx I would get around 15.5 - 16 mpg, now I am getting around 17 in the legacy, not to bad.

Will be interesting to see what a reflash that tunes the ECU out for those little inconsistencies as well as correct that ultra-rich and safe fuel map does for fuel economy while cruising.

I getting around 21-23 mpg on my 05GT 5speed. Sometimes I drive it hard sometimes I'm just out for the ride. Car has 2500 miles. One guy over on i-club said he got 26mpg. Not sure how you could do that. Must have been all down hill driving.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='kanoswrx']How far is your work from home, I live about 2 miles from work and that kills gas mileage. The engine never reaches maximum efficency. When I had my wrx I would get around 15.5 - 16 mpg, now I am getting around 17 in the legacy, not to bad.[/quote] Did your WRX get a lot of sludge buildup under the valve covers?

[quote name='je24']I have a GT LTD Wagon with about 1200 miles on it. I have gone through five tanks of gas and my best milage was 16.7, the worst was 12.9 and the average in the high 15s. The best mpg I had was from taking it really easy on the car - no sudden starts and not pushing the gas pedal more than a 1/4 down (except for maybe five times). Believe me, I kept track of how I drove during that tank. I calculated the mileage by filling up the tank and tracking the miles, but I also compared this to the mpg readout on the dash (which was always higher). I do drive mostly city miles, but I thought for sure that by taking it easy I would at least get 19 MPG. I do not mind 16 MPG as long as I am having a lot of fun doing so (i.e., heavy acceleration all the time)! I have seen reports of people getting over 20 MPG and am curious if I have a problem or if this car just drinks gas in city driving.[/quote] Have your dealer check your timing and air:fuel ratio.

Wow, average milage in the high 15s sounds wrong. While I have noticed that gas milage does drop in city driving, it's never THAT bad. I'm averaging 21-23mpg with mixed driving on my 5EAT GT wagon. Ken

[quote name='SUBE555']Will be interesting to see what a reflash that tunes the ECU out for those little inconsistencies as well as correct that ultra-rich and safe fuel map does for fuel economy while cruising.[/quote] Yeah you should see the tailpipes on my car right now. They look really black from running rich I think..

13-17 does sound REAL low. Are you sure your brakes aren't hanging up? :cry: You mentioned 1/4 throttle, but from my testdrives, 1/4 throttle can really push you back in the seat. Anytime your feeling this, your drinking gas. je24, You didn't mention....Auto or stick?

Dont forget guys yr still in the run in phase of the engine. I think once you have a few K on yr cars, the mileage will begin to even out and you will see the difference. I think Franz that they run the engines a little rich to protect everything. This may be addressed at yr 2nd service.

I'm getting I think around 20 or so, but I use the fun pedal enough. I'm sure my tail pipes are fairly well covered with carbon also. (Reminds me, need to wash car tomorrow. :D) It would just be very interesting to see what the stoichometric readings are on our cars.

Hey JE24, are you running the AC in Auto mode? I was playing around last night with the cruise control and turning the AC on and off while watching the instantaneous gas milage. I think turning off the AC is worth 2-3mpg. But what I was thinking is what if you got a bad AC compressor and thats dragging the milage down. Try a tank or half a tank without the AC on and see what you get.

I don't know if you can do the conversion to mpg but my estimation is that my GT limited wagon 5EAT has averaged 14 liters/100 km for the last 700 km (kilometrage I've done since I own the car). That's higher than the advertised fuel economy for CDM. I do drive a bit agressively in the city and drive an average speed of 130/140 km/h on highway. It certainly does feel like it drinks like a pig but at least the car provides a lot of enjoyment. :D

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Hi Guys, I run 98 octane (BP or Mobil) and with the 2Litre GT I get around 7.7L/km. This equates to roughly 19 miles per gallon. I've done around 1900miles in it so far, so I guess its still running in. ps. I drive up to the hills each night and regularly give the car a good workout. :D Cheers, Matt

[quote name='TAckhouse1']Actualyl both the Manual and Auto are rated at 19/25 mpg Part of my still wishes it was a little better, like a 23/30 rating. But I guess AWD will do that to you. -Nick[/quote] More like that's what BOOST will do to you.

Archived