LegacyGT.com

How can I get above 17 MPG!!!

I now have 2000 km on my 2.5GT 5EAT wagon and am averaging about 11l per km or 21 miles per US gallon (or 25.5 mp imperial gallon) - all according to the computer indicator. My driving is about 65% interstate and 35% god awful big city downtown gridlock. I have noticed that mileage seems to have improved about 5% in the second 1000km, versus the first 1000k. I do not have a heavy foot - but the boost is very tempting at time. So the mileage is ok, not great. However, if some math wiz were to come up with and index that would rank all cars on the basis of mileage, hp, torque, awd, cost, relaibility and carrying capacity, I think that this car would be close to the top of the ranking.

I agree. I don't consider these cars to go through a great deal of gas. I have owned 5.7litre V8 engines that have chewed through twice the amount of gas that I do now with the GT. At the end of the day, the cost of fuel isn't a huge cosideration for me. When spending $55KAUD on a car, a couple of grand a year isnt much to run it.

It sure would have the value/funometer pegged out. I agree mtarone, if you're spending the bucks already, whats the little extra cost in fuel, not too much. Like people debating whether they can get away with regular fuel when premium might run another $200-400 a year max for most, when that regular fuel will get them worse mileage and do not so healy things to a premium-requiring engine. Not something to cheap out a few bucks here and there on. Heck, my fuel fillups are only about $1.50 to $2.50 more per fillup and I'm running more miles now too. 80 more ponies and lb-ft of torque. I'm not complaining with the same overall mileage then. :)

• 6 years later...

Holy cow, I didn't notice it was a revival.

Yes, you can get 25mpg city in 2.5i... if you are careful. It definitely won't be an easy task.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So, any suggestions on how to do that :)? I drove the car about 100 miles so far and it seems to have eaten through 1/4-1/2 of a gas tank. This is of course with letting it warm up a bit at -30 F outside.

As to joe, yes I'm the new guy. I am the new proud owner of a 2005 2.5i legacy and I live in Alaska. In my area of Alaska winter lasts from 15 september till 7th of may give or take 1-2 weeks each way. Coldest temperatures about -45-55 in the winter to as much as 95-100 above in the summer.

The temperature probably has a decent amount to do with your gas mileage. Most drivers typically see a drop in their mileage during the winter months. Most stations use a different blend of gas (usually with a higher ethanol content) among other things.
It's cool; I'm with the band

Whether you are running E10 (10% ethanol) fuel will definitely impact your mileage. Different cars respond differently, but it's is generally accepted that E10 will result in slightly lower MPG than "pure" gasoline. In any case, 25mpg city may be tough if you are doing much warmup idling because of the extreme low temperature (not that you shouldn't, just that this eats fuel).

Off-topic: Alaska is always such an oddity when it comes to regulation, I would be interested to find out whether the State has opted or is required to comply with the RFG "Summer gas" standards that we see across the 48. The EPA doesn't even list Alaska on its map of RFG areas, though that's not necessarily dispositive. I believe the regulation is actually applied to refineries, so it may be that Alaska effectively has no choice about the fuel content, in which case you are probably getting E10 right now just like the rest of us.

Alaska depends on where you are believe it or not as it's such a huge state.

The southearn part, including Juneau gets gas barged from Seattle so they get the same as the lower 48. The rest of the state gets gas mostly from within Alaska. Alaska does have two refineries.

I do not believe we have a summer blend.

Anyway, I just checked my mpg as I figured out how to check it and I'm averaging 20.1mpg city driving with idling on this tank of gas.

My issue is with idling I can get 20.1 mpg city on my 4x4 v6 suv in 4X4 mode(EPA rated 18mpg not while in 4X4) and 20.1 is just low. I mean I had a old malibu and I was getting in the winter time with idling 25-26 mpg city (EPA rated 18mpg) and that thing had a 3.1 V6. It's not a question of not knowing how to drive for best mpg or just flat out too cold.

If it stays at 20.1 I'd say I love the car hate the mpg.

Wow, I didn't realize this thread was revived from the dead. I was confused how some people still have 2005 LGTs with "just over 1,000 miles," haha.

FWIW, I get about 17 MPG in the winter. My winter driving consists of short bursts though. I live about 3-4 miles from campus and most of the places I go are within a 10 mile radius (unless I'm driving back home to NY.) I do average about 25K a year though.

I rely on the car's MPG calculator to tell me what I'm getting, but I just started a Fuelly.com account and am going to keep track of my MPG over the long term with that. I've gotten anything from 17-24 MPG with this car.

Ok, so don't count on it .. great. I did do a little experiment today and driving around town at 35mph with no red lights, the instantenous mpg was telling me about 35-55 mpg . After 40 more miles today of that kind of driving and the warmup this morning my mpg went down for this tank of gas to 19.2 mpg.

My surprise is that I can't seem to beat EPA estimates on this but I have beat them on every vehicle I've owned even in the winter and with warming up. With gas being about $3.65-$3.70/gallon regular in my city right now, just something I'm thinking about.

Ok since were on the subject where are you all getting your readings??? If it's from the Meeter on the dash I don't think you can trust that only because I can get 15 to 20+ MPG and drive it till the light comes on and I always get 225 to 250miles per tank no matter what...

So, Joe, good idea. Honestly, I don't know the oil in it but I'm assuming it's low grade regular as it's done at the dealer for a very low price per the service history.

What kind of oils have members used to improve mpg which would do well in a cold climate if you know Joe? In my GM product I used 5w30 or 0w30 mobil 1 full synthetic. At 0w30 it improved mileage a little.

Don't rely on the dash MPG, calculate it yourself. Everyone seems to like fuelly.com for tracking their experience over time.

You could also bump up your tire pressures a bit. When was the last time the car got new spark plugs? There is some marketing hype around them that I don't necessarily buy, but I do know some people who say they got a bump in mpg by switching to E3 plugs.

A 0w30 might help on the warm up stage as its lighter at start-up temps. I'd switch to a full synthetic if you can, but people have reported issues with mobil1 syn in their LGTs. I'm not going to start the oil debate though. I personally run rotella t 5w40 full syn in my LGT, but gas mileage isn't one of my major concerns.
It's cool; I'm with the band

As joeblow suggests, you could spend forever on the oil debate (there are other disadvantages to running oil with a wider multi-weight spread, e.g. 5w30 vs. 5w40), though it is generally accepted that a full synthetic with a lower viscosity rating has at least the technical potential to increase operating efficiency of your engine (this is also only relative to what you are currently running). I wouldn't attach a lot of hope to getting a big improvement there though, since we are all no doubt suffering most of our parasitic loss due to AWD.

One thing is though, I have the 2.5i base model of the car, so no turbo, no anything :). That's one of the reasons I'm like huh.. ok 20mpg.. great.. just great. This summer, gas here in my Alaskan town, is likely going to get $5.00/gallon again too.

Regarding the spark plugs, I learned a bad lesson on GM cars that if you use anything other than ACDelco, 80-90% chance you will get knocking and/or reduced gas mileage and fouled spark plugs from unburnt fuel. What is the deal on that with the legacy's (in particular the 2.5i I own if different from the gt)?

Thanks again guys, I'm learning a lot about the car I just got a few days ago.

Archived