LegacyGT.com

Goodbye Legacy!

Too40gawlf

For the last few months, we've been mulling over trading the Legacy in for a bigger vehicle that can better handle family hauling duties. For weeks, I've been trying to get my wife to look at Supercrew F150s, but she doesnt like the idea of a truck and the supercrew is too long to get into our garage AND close the door.

We considered the Ascent for a bit, but the Ascent is far too boring and limp for me to pay $45K for. I've had it with limp ... CVTs and not paying tons of money for a 5,000 lb mundane looking monster to wheeze along with a turbo 4 cylinder.

Last week, our attention turned to the Explorer Sport and I started liking everything I learned about it: 365 hp twin turbo 3.5 V6 Ecoboost engine, 6 spd auto, easily accessible 3rd row seating, twin moon roof, a good intuitive safety system (not like the annoying Eyesight) and a nice, sporty appearance. With Ford's year end incentives and a healthy discount from my local Ford store, I couldnt pass up the Explorer.

Sad to see the Legacy go, but I know it will serve its new owner well:

A by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

C by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

F by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

H by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

J by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

IMG_1395 by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4900/46448983252_2454f29a98_b.jpg' alt='46448983252_2454f29a98_b.jpg'>P by emanookian, on Flickr[/img]

Might be nice if you could come back every now and then and let us know how you like the Ford.

Will do.

I dont plan on leaving here completely The Legacy was my first Subaru and I may still end up with a WRX at some point not way too distant in the future.

First impressions of the Explorer are great. For a 5,000 pig, she really goes well. My only concern is on the longevity of the Ecoboost, but the 2nd gen Ecoboosts are supposed to be much more robust than the initial batches.

My first car was a Ford back in like 1987 it was great, but I just cannot go there anymore after driving and having to work on a 2010 Ford Focus, its a complete pile of shit. Will not even look at a Ford these days, I don't care what it is.

Funny. I just went Ford too. Different but Ford none the less... I'll put up a post here shortly. This is a great forum and Subaru is a great car. I will miss the features and practicality.

Subaru is a quality car, but the corporate heads insist on deviating from what bolstered their brand and they are going to lose a certain core of their market. The Ascent would've been a natural progression for my family, but like I said, it so bland and boring, I could never justify paying for what they are asking.

Subaru used to build cars for people passionate about driving. Now they build appliances for people who dont care.

My first car was a Ford back in like 1987 it was great, but I just cannot go there anymore after driving and having to work on a 2010 Ford Focus, its a complete pile of shit. Will not even look at a Ford these days, I don't care what it is.

I've literally beat the ever loving crap out of every Ford Ive owned and only had one trans failure (one E40D in a 1995 Bronco). I've had 5 Mustangs powered by various modular motors (from a 2 Valve non PI 4.6L to a modern Coyote) and beat each one mercilessly and they have all took the abuse and kept going strong.

Yep. Ford makes two vehicles IMO, F150 and Mustang. So now I have a fun car (vs an appliance albeit a very good appliance) and a snow car. I hope to upgrade the snow car to a Subie this summer but we will see. FWD has been just fine for many a year.

Yep. Ford makes two vehicles IMO, F150 and Mustang. So now I have a fun car (vs an appliance albeit a very good appliance) and a snow car. I hope to upgrade the snow car to a Subie this summer but we will see. FWD has been just fine for many a year.

You got a Mustang?

Congrats!!!

Please post details.

My only problem with Explorers, is that law enforcement around here uses them. Other than that, I think they're pretty slick looking and, as you mention, seem to have a more desirable power-train. Heck, I would be OK with something the size of an Ascent having 300/300, which isn't that much more than what it does have. Explorer-level power just seems to be all that more enticing.

looking like 50 might be a boon for you, because it does seem that some people get out of the way more quickly for a non-PD Explorer coming up on their tail, just in case, I guess.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

They’re awesome vehicles. Our police package ones suck because they have no power. A beat up Saturn SC1 left me in the dust. They won’t let us get the ecoboost engines because the way we idle these cars kills them. I looked at the Explorer Sport and the Ascent when I was getting rid of my Legacy too. I ended up not needing the space since my family duties are shrinking so I went back to BMW.

2016 GT Premium. 8500mi. Also a trip to Roush. Slightly beats out the Legacy in acceleration.:lol: Still some work to do on body/badging etc. but nothing major.

Sweet!

Those Roush boys left some extra hardware in your engine bay! :)

Get some decent wheels on that thing and it will be super awesome!!!

Ascent my be boring but def better MPG.

My preference would be a Audi Q7. Now that’s what I would call a nice family car that pretty much has it all.

Q7 looks like a nice car, but more price, less power, and less room than the Explorer.

Good Luck- My Flex will be my last Ford- and before anyone says anything- I've had Fords most of my life, so a fan of them. Parent always had Fords as well.

Interesting you think Ford's safety package is better considering it can't stop the vehicle.

69 Mustang Grande

69 Mustang Convertible

82 Capri

86 Mustang

92 Bronco II

2003 Explorer

2014 Flex

Here is my list of Fords (Im 37 by the way):

1995 Ford Bronco XLT (5.8L OHV / E40D)

1996 Mustang GT (4.6L SOHC)/ T45)

1998 Mustang GT (4.6L SOHC/ T45)

1999 Mustang GT (4.6L SOHC/ T45)

2004 Mustang GT (4.6L SOHC /T3650)

2011 Mustang GT (5.0L DOHC / MT82)

2018 Ford Explorer Sport (3.5 TT Ecoboost / A6)

Of the Fords I've had to this point, the Bronco is the only one that had a major drive line issue - the tranny grenaded. Everything else (excluding the Explorer obviously) has been mercilessly thrashed but also well maintained and have not had any major issues aside from one offs (2 separate timing chain guides loosening and making noise, throw out bearings common on Mustangs, and early 2V intake manifold issues - nearly all of which I fixed for very little money at home).

In the last 10-15 years, Ford has convinced me they make a mechanically sound product even if cosmetics and fit & finish issues are not of the highest quality.

And yes, the Ford safety system is less intrusive and more easy to live with.

Yea it was until Sync I was happy with Ford. Now not so much. The entire electronic control system is garbage.

Never sure what setting my climate control system will be set to when I start it- but 50% of the time it's not what it was when I turned off. I could go on, but hopefully there are better systems out there.

I have also owned many Fords:

-Crown Vic (police interceptor)

-5.0 Mustang

-Explorer

Wanted to get another Explorer in 2016 but...

They have turned them into luxury vehicles (no longer a "working man's car")

CO issues never fully resolved

Silly knob for selecting 4x4 options

Too many extra doo-dads and gizmos that would be expensive to fix/replace

Mileage still kind of sucks

While the Legacy is my daily driver our family hauler is a 2018 VW Atlas. One of the roomiest three row SUVs with the best warranty and a lot more features at each price point.

Atlas looks sweet, but from my perspective it doesnt even compare to the Explorer: Atlas is down nearly 100 hp /100tq to the 3.5 Ecoboost, the Explorer is 7 or 8 model years into its 5th gen where the Atlas is only in its second model year, the Explorer comes in with more stuff at better price point, and for a car that I hope to keep for 10 years and 150K+ miles, I would much rather roll the dice with Ford than Audi.

I have also owned many Fords:

-Crown Vic (police interceptor)

-5.0 Mustang

-Explorer

Wanted to get another Explorer in 2016 but...

They have turned them into luxury vehicles (no longer a "working man's car")

CO issues never fully resolved

Silly knob for selecting 4x4 options

Too many extra doo-dads and gizmos that would be expensive to fix/replace

Mileage still kind of sucks

Yeah Man, I hear you, but thats the story with all modern cars. Cars know have lots of features and gizmos. Plus, this is my wife's car and I want her to be happy with whats she's getting.

My in-laws have a 2016 explorer, the only seating area that is roomy is the front, the 3rd row is not what anyone should call easy to get into at least not with the bench 2nd row. And its not comfortable for an adult.

Everything else is meh. Right on par with our Odyssey...except for roominess and gas mileage which the Honda excels at fully loaded 29 mpg on the highway at a steady 70-75. Their explorer does 23mpg with less cargo following right behind us.

My in-laws have a 2016 explorer, the only seating area that is roomy is the front, the 3rd row is not what anyone should call easy to get into at least not with the bench 2nd row. And its not comfortable for an adult.

Everything else is meh. Right on par with our Odyssey...except for roominess and gas mileage which the Honda excels at fully loaded 29 mpg on the highway at a steady 70-75. Their explorer does 23mpg with less cargo following right behind us.

Gotcha covered on the 3rd row, Hoss:

IMG_1445.thumb.jpg.eb3f82543674c0fca1474ed8486e65e4.jpg

Archived