LegacyGT.com

How costly is a timing fix?

Update

My mechanic has told me the root cause was the banjo bolts were completely plugged. I payed him a little extra to check my short block. He told me that it had forged rods installed and that the whole motor was in excellent shape besides some carbon build up. I'll have the car back in a few days. He also told me to replace my intercooler due to a small vacant leak and plastic deteriorating. He also stated that a previous owner must have had a different turbo installed at one point and then reinstalled the stock one before they sold it. So this is sounding a little more promising. We shall see though. Wondering what would be a good and fairly priced intercooler would be and if $390 is a goof price for a dyno all day and a e-tune?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

390 is a good price for the dyno and tune.

Sad to hear that someone would send that much on a short block and then put both banjo filters back in. Remove those filters and hope for the best.

Hopefully the turbo is ok. Listen to it and make sure it's sound doesn't change.

Ask him if he checked for shaft play on the turbo ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

390 is a good price for the dyno and tune.

Sad to hear that someone would send that much on a short block and then put both banjo filters back in. Remove those filters and hope for the best.

Hopefully the turbo is ok. Listen to it and make sure it's sound doesn't change.

Ask him if he checked for shaft play on the turbo ?

I think the person that had the car before me had taken off all of his upgrades and put all the stock components back in besides the forged rods. The turbo is pretty much new and no shaft play the mechanic said, only 11,000 miles on it. He told me to get a new intercooler or I will end up with shaft play because I have a vacuum leak which will cause the turbo to spool faster than needed and cause it wear out the bearings. Do mowing looking for a tmic from here for a decent price considering I just forked out $2500 for taking apart the motor to inspect the internals, the turbo, exhaust system cleaning, a smoke test, coolant flush, engine flush, new gaskets and hoses. I'd say it was a good price to have all that done. Going to pick up the car on Friday. Is the avo tmic any good? I didn't see many reviews. I'm going to put that on myself when I get one in a couple of weeks. Hopefully I can find someone with one for sale near me.

Stock rods are forged. You may have aftermarket rods, which usually aren't better than stock.

Hope you are at least getting oil cooler replaced.

And I am skeptical about "taking apart the motor". Did your guy split the block halves? Otherwise you still don't know what is going on in the crankshaft bearings.

I am still afraid there won't be a happy end to this story, sorry.

"My mechanic has told me the root cause was the banjo bolts were completely plugged."

That will not be good for the bearings. Were they replaced and was the crank ok ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

And I am skeptical about "taking apart the motor". Did your guy split the block halves? Otherwise you still don't know what is going on in the crankshaft bearings.

I am still afraid there won't be a happy end to this story, sorry.

The mechanic said he took it apart and checked the rods, bearings, pistons, valves, cams, and lifters. He also stated that the timing was done on it ie: new looking pulleys and belt. Also that who ever had it before me took good care of the motor and that rods were forged aftermarket and they were solid. All he noticed was the common carbon build up and that the banjos got clogged from the used car dealership probably not changing the oil when they bought it and was drove to long without an oil change. The dealer told me that it was changed before I bought it, but I'm guessing that it was not. I'd I'm invested so either way I am going to get it running like it should be. He wants to sponsor me for it to be a show car to take to competitions like HIN and Motor Jam. So I'm guessing things couldn't be that bad for him wanting to invest in this car considering it's rarity.

• 2 weeks later...
2 days after getting the turbo replaced and driving 150 miles the car blew a head gasket and cylinders 2 and 4 went. So now I need a new short block or mine ported and rebuilt. Thank god for income tax return. I'm invested already so it's going to get fixed. The long block is good thank god. :eek:

2 days after getting the turbo replaced and driving 150 miles the car blew a head gasket and cylinders 2 and 4 went. So now I need a new short block or mine ported and rebuilt. Thank god for income tax return. I'm invested already so it's going to get fixed. The long block is good thank god. :eek:

:spin:

You are getting the answer to your question in the subject: "Very".

See posts 44 & 49

From being in this situation myself I know that AAA Gold will get you 4 tows per year up to 100miles.

You just have to initiate your membership and one week later you can tow 100 miles. I've had my car towed from Louisville to Cincinnati 3 times now. Well worth the $80 per year.

Besides, if the guy put this motor together and head gasket went, he should take responsibility for it. What does it mean cylinder 2 and 4 did go? Cylinders don't just go because of head gasket failure.

Well can't get a new car. Already tried. Shitty credit and they wanted $7000 down on a $13000 car. I only have $2000 and could finance the rest of the rebuild if the mechanic would work with me, I could afford $450 a month. I don't trust any used car that cost $2000 because of possible repairs and reliability. I don't have any family or friends literally. It's just my wife, my son, and I. So kind of a pickle.

On another note, would Tuning Alliance be able to get a hold of another motor for me and do the rebuild? It's hard to get in touch with them.

I love this car and like I said I'm already invested. I financed the car for $9300. I put $3500 down and have been paying $320 a month. I have $3700 left to pay on it. I have just spent $2300 on getting the turbo replaced. So to just give up and go to something else without a gauranty of reliability would be just pointless and a major waste of money.

Archived