LegacyGT.com

welp.... winter is back and car is not running right again

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the problem is, this issue happens when the CAR is extremely cold. So we have to let them have it when the temps are in the 0 range.. that is this week and part of last week. I will be up on them today... the car is under extended warranty so let them deal with it while I drive their car.

BTW if you do mostly around town driving, the 2019 Impreza is not a very fuel efficient option. I am averaging around 22mpg in that thing... yikes...it has 3.2K miles on it.. that 2.0L really struggles to get that car moving unless you get pretty deep into the throttle

idiots said no problem found....so I am going to get my car, already called SOA and expressed my dissatisfaction and we are done here.

in the meantime I will diag it myself and fix it. freaking Subaru techs cannot fix squat

Sorry to hear this, but almost every technician I've dealt with only knows what a computer tells them. Did they outline what they have done?

You need a dude with experience to get things correctly analyzed and found out.

It could be a simple thing like a valve that sticks when it's cold, like OCV or purge valve. The problem is to figure out which valve.

453747.png

yeah talk to service advisor and they said "we think the intake gaskets are shrinking when cold causing the issue"

OK, if that is the case, take the intake off and verify the condition of the gaskets.

pulled into parking lot car fully warmed up heat very good and STFT is pegged at 35%.....mother plucker

Spray around the intake with 2+2 carb cleaner and watch your fuel trims.

If they think it's the intake gaskets, a smoke test would have shown the leak. Your ect sensor was reading in the 180's when you had erratic fuel trims so that debunks their thought of it only leaking when cold.

Well, if you were to eyeball in a trend line on that graph, it does look like STFT and LTFT follow the ambient temperature sensor reading pretty closely, at least for the most part. I don't know that I know what that means, but I'd guess that it's somehow electrical rather than mechanical in nature. Would you be able to log intake air temp in addition to what you have there, to see if there's any correlation? I'd guess no, which doesn't make much sense to me, since I would have guessed the ECU would use IAT to do temperature-based corrections rather than ambient.

Sweet....

Edit: got P0012 pending this morning. I did check oil level and it is at the full mark. Oil is always changed within 6K miles. Ironically I had no heat this morning as well....(coolant temp never made it past 130F despite letting the car sit and warm up for 4 minutes.

Screenshot_20190130-163452_Torque.thumb.jpg.f273dffe132e05e9959511d5e6f5a01c.jpg

they texted stating car is ready... has every single finger and toe crossed hoping that this is the LAST ISSUE that needs to be addressed.

to recap

3 years to get T-stat replaced as it was sticking closed in extreme temps

2+ years to get P0171 resolved.

Went out and started car this morning and yessir, the issue is good... did not smell excessive fuel, matter of fact it barely smelled at all.. car runs fantastic, gives good head and fuel economy is back up in the lower 30s.

Lets just say that up until this point SOA has left a bad taste in my mouth 2 out of the 3 times I dealt with them. If you were to ask me if they stand behind their cars, I would have to say, No, not really.

I bought my car when it was 2.5 years old and still within the original 3/36 warranty 5/60K power train warranty and I also purchase extended warranty for 4 years 60K

November 2016 is when I first brought the car in for no heat in winter time. Car had 23,2XX miles on it. this issue was finally resolved in Jan 2019 and the car had 57,6XX miles on it. Had to pay extended warranty deductible, yes I am submitting that to Subaru for reimbursement as that issue was clearly present under original powertrain warranty

November 2017 is when I first brought the car in for P0171, replaced front o2, did not resolve, I replaced MAF in April 2018 as it was flaky, it partially resolved as I was no longer smelling raw fuel at the time. Winter 2018-19 shows up and literally p0171 begins to toggle like mad, setting and clearing in each drive cycle. Finally February 2019, they replace both intake manifold gaskets and voilà, issue 100% resolved.

Archived