LegacyGT.com

Headlight bulbs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have your DRL still enabled? How do your LED highs look during the day now?

I do have the DRL enabled still- I unplugged it today to see how I liked the look but decided to plug back in. The DRL runs at “full brightness” during the day. I put that in quotes because you can still get some extra illumination out of them when pulling on the headlight stalk while in gear.

Personally, I could care less about having DRL’s but I do value the extra visibility they provide when I am driving- especially at dusk. I can include photos of them on during the day tomorrow as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm the type of person who turns on his lights when it's foggy, raining, snowing AND when it's near dusk/dawn. DRL are pretty much meaningless to me, because of this.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I agree. I'm the type of person who turns on his lights when it's foggy, raining, snowing AND when it's near dusk/dawn. DRL are pretty much meaningless to me, because of this.

You know DRLs aren't about you right?

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

on a forum dedicated to people 'upgrading' their halogen projectors with HID or LED inserts, they aren't really thinking about other drivers.

'but, I don't hardly never get flashed!'...

I made my wife drive my car behind me and then pass me. The Lights were NOT blinding in any way, shape, or form. Unless you happen to be a person sensitive to light

Originally Posted by ‘15legacy viewpost.gif

Visibility at night has increased ten-fold and the projectors send more light towards the right shoulder ...

Which means you're almost certainly throwing light all over the place, including oncoming drivers' eyes.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The Lights were NOT blinding in any way, shape, or form.

Can you prove it? (Hint: See the photometry requirements stated in https://one.nhtsa.gov/DOT/TP-108-13.pdf, page 222, Appendix G, and Appendix I, for a guide to the proper test standards and procedures.) Check back in with us when you've done this.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yk how douchy this sounds?

Geeky? Yes. Douchy? I'm confident that it's far less douchy than driving around potentially blinding other drivers with (usually illegal) aftermarket headlamps.

spacer.png

I'm confident that it's far less douchy than driving around blinding other drivers with (illegal) aftermarket headlamps.

Let him be dude. If he gets flashed that’s his problem. He’ll address it. If not, you can’t control everyone. He asked for recommendations, not a manual on headlight output specifications

Which means you're almost certainly throwing light all over the place, including oncoming drivers' eyes.

Yes, exactly, because throwing more light onto the RIGHT shoulder is going to blind oncoming drivers. Thank you for your analysis! I’ll make sure to have my high beams on if I ever come across you on the road... had them professionally adjusted following installation but I appreciate your concern.

Yes, exactly, because throwing more light onto the RIGHT shoulder is going to blind oncoming drivers. Thank you for your analysis! I’ll make sure to have my high beams on if I ever come across you on the road... had them professionally adjusted following installation but I appreciate your concern.

If you are putting out light onto the right shoulder, that's basically focused polarized light from the LED going out where it shouldn't. You'll blind people driving perpendicular to you when you are at a light and folks that are trying to turn in your direction of travel.

The sad part is, you'll never get this until you have another driver, that's a bit more self absorbed in seeing better and farther blinds you and causes you to crash.

If you are putting out light onto the right shoulder, that's basically focused polarized light from the LED going out where it shouldn't. You'll blind people driving perpendicular to you when you are at a light and folks that are trying to turn in your direction of travel.

The sad part is, you'll never get this until you have another driver, that's a bit more self absorbed in seeing better and farther blinds you and causes you to crash.

Everybody’s an expert, I suppose. Not my first time around the LED world- even my factory LED’s in my old TLX did this. With all due respect, I didn’t come to this forum to get into useless arguments with others- everyone has their opinion, but nobody will know what I’m talking about without physically seeing it. Probably not as drastic as you’re imagining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would anyone? Are you a kid trying to look cool or an adult trying improve light output?

That's not an answer to my question, but I'll bite. An adult senselessly trying to hold on to youth and look cool. Did that adequately answer yours?

I have HIDs from the factory in my low beams and I get flashed all the time. Really comes down to how sensitive (or angry) other drivers are in your area.

the HID's from the factory (same that I have) have three features that nobody here cares a shit about.

1. They self-level, which means as you go over a rise they tilt light output down, which reduces the chance of blinding other drivers exponentially.

2. They don't have a piece of metal in place to bend the HID light output up to better see street signs, aka, 'squirrel finders'.

3. the projectors are designed to focus HID light output with a proper cut off. HID, LED, and Halogen bulbs all have different hot spots and light patterns. There is no way to shade tree around that fact -- halogen projectors are designed for halogen bulbs.

There is a right way to do this (buy OEM), a second best, retrofit with a proper projector, and aim it low enough to mitigate the fact that they don't self level (you really cannot correct for this). And a wrong way.

Putting HID or LED inserts into a halogen projector is not only illegal, it is the wrong way to go about it.

Think of it this way, buying cars that only have better OEM lights boosts demand and manufacturers will produce more of them. Then nobody has to be on forums like this making excuses for ignoring the welfare of other drivers on the road.

PS: seat of the pants observations about how well your halogen projector works with other bulbs are about as reliable as the seat of the pants horsepower increase estimates people come up with when they change their air filter.

Have you ever actually heard a story of someone saying “Yea I crashed because his bright ass leds.” It’s more like, that dude is an asshole with those bright lights.

Archived