LegacyGT.com

Headlight bulbs

So do a proper retro fit while making the headlights illegal by not have an side marker.

Yes sir. And I’d be referring to amber colored halogen bulbs or switchbacks. Both are 100% legal and the switchbacks are on a lot of new cars nowadays.

I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here. TwoTone was referring to the amber reflector you suggested removing. Which is illegal to remove. Still technically a safety thing but with your lights on the side markers are lit up so it's not too much of a concern in this respect.

But you will lose the ability for others to see the front of your car in the dark with the car/lights off, for example being parked on the road, as there now will be no reflectors. Sure they should be able to see your car without them and it's still their fault for running into a parked car. But that doesn't change the fact you might get an idiot running into your car because they didn't see it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding here. TwoTone was referring to the amber reflector you suggested removing. Which is illegal to remove. Still technically a safety thing but with your lights on the side markers are lit up so it's not too much of a concern in this respect.

But you will lose the ability for others to see the front of your car in the dark with the car/lights off, for example being parked on the road, as there now will be no reflectors. Sure they should be able to see your car without them and it's still their fault for running into a parked car. But that doesn't change the fact you might get an idiot running into your car because they didn't see it.

I get it. Knew that was coming. Haha. And you’re right...at least I am man enough to say that. Even so it’s comparing apples to oranges. Blinding lights and a tiny reflector removed from a headlight housing are 2 completely different spectrums and my point was you’re stuff can look cool still and you can do it a right way (retrofit) and the easy (wrong) way (wrong bulbs in your halogen projector). I didn’t comment in the first place to be a dick at all just explain why he’s gettn the answers he’s gettn and I even gave him alternatives that I’ve used before but definitely not HID or LED bulbs inside my halogen projectors or reflectors. I didn’t want to comment in the first place cuz I don’t have the time or energy to get into silly convos like this. Especially cuz people will do this crap anyway whether I tell em or not that it’s not right and not cool.

I’ll leave with this. Do a retrofit and make sure you keep your amber reflectors in your lights when you do so. Haha

Anybody know of someone/a company that sells completed retrofit kits for the 2015 legacy? More interested in features such as brighter C-LED or halo rings. Don’t have the time (nor desire) to open up my headlights and go through the process of resealing, so a completed kit that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg would be ideal!

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anybody know of someone/a company that sells completed retrofit kits for the 2015 legacy? More interested in features such as brighter C-LED or halo rings. Don’t have the time (nor desire) to open up my headlights and go through the process of resealing, so a completed kit that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg would be ideal!

Thanks in advance for suggestions

I do mine myself. It’s a lot more scary than difficult. Once you do it once it’s not even scary anymore. Not difficult at all either. Maybe a 4 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. I’ve done both replacement projectors and also a custom retrofit on a reflector light. I don’t bake my lights like some. I use a heat gun and work it around as I open it. I’ve heard good things about Lightwerkz in NJ if you don’t want to do it yourself. TRS (The Retrofit Source)is good imo if you decide to DIY. Never had any issues with their stuff and their customer service is great. HID snobs may tell you otherwise but compared to a halogen setup it’s night and day. May want to give them a call. You’ll get some info and options at the very least.

Any place that does the work will require you to send them your headlights.

Thank you for the insight! From what I read and watched, it’s a pretty simple process. My concern is that the housing will never be as sealed as it is now. I had to replace my old cars headlight assembly and the “TYC OEM Replacement” allowed some condensation to get into the housing. I like the idea of having brighter “C-lights” however really it would be serving the purpose of an addition to my photographs. I entertained the idea of an RGB low beam bulb that I could slap in when I want for photoshoots (could leave in if the standard headlight portion was patterned nicely) or remove after photographs are done. Are you (or anybody else) aware of an inexpensive RGB light I could put in?

Thanks

Thank you for the insight! From what I read and watched, it’s a pretty simple process. My concern is that the housing will never be as sealed as it is now. I had to replace my old cars headlight assembly and the “TYC OEM Replacement” allowed some condensation to get into the housing. I like the idea of having brighter “C-lights” however really it would be serving the purpose of an addition to my photographs. I entertained the idea of an RGB low beam bulb that I could slap in when I want for photoshoots (could leave in if the standard headlight portion was patterned nicely) or remove after photographs are done. Are you (or anybody else) aware of an inexpensive RGB light I could put in?

Thanks

I got a roll of butyl rubber when I did my first set and have done like 3 sets with it and still have like 5ft of it left. I have never gotten condensation in any of my lights. Add a thin fresh line of butyl around the light right before you heat it up and put it back together. You can also heat it up, press it back together with the existing butyl in the seam and then put a thin line around the seam after (I prefer to do mine after and just press it in and fill the seam. Less messy imo)

Aftermarket units are hit and miss in terms of quality of materials used and quality control. I’ve gotten some aftermarket head/taillights that I also strip with the butyl and they never get condensation. Stuff is really great for sealing stuff up

As for the RGBs I’ve never used any so I can’t help you there.

I entertained the idea of an RGB low beam bulb that I could slap in when I want for photoshoots (could leave in if the standard headlight portion was patterned nicely) or remove after photographs are done. Are you (or anybody else) aware of an inexpensive RGB light I could put in?

Thanks

This might be what you're after.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/profile-prism-led-rgb-demon-eyes.html

(other brands and other sellers are available)

Haven't used them, just know they exist.

If you are doing a retrofit then it would be a good time to do it.

And would agree with woosh, it's not that bad. Agree more scary then hard. Just be careful of the chrome on the inside as it's generally delicate. Did the same as woosh, added a thin line of butyl. I did bake mine though.

• 1 month later...
FWIW: I did put in the Diode Dynamics SL1 low beams in my 2018 Legacy. The beam pattern did not really change, although when very close (a couple of feet, like the garage wall) to an object I can see some slight interference (or diffraction?) patterning. It is not noticeable while driving. As for brightness, I don't have a real light meter, but I tried using an app on my iPhone. I did not trust the results as it showed the OEM halogens being brighter than the 65W H9 Halogens I had previously installed as well as the LEDs, which was clearly not the case using my naked eye. My untrained eye says they are about as bright as the H9s, but not any more so. The big win (I hope) will be better longevity compared the H9s which were only rated for about 300 hours. They were easy to install, especially compared to something like an aftermarket HID kit. Overall, they have met my expectations so far, so I am calling it a win.

Archived