LegacyGT.com

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread V2

dwolson2

been warned by David to not buy the russian versions (seen on ebay right now). Not sure of the technicalities.
I'm really curious as to whether that Russian faceplate would work in a LHD car with the JDM HVAC though. It seems like it would.

I already ordered the Scosche faceplate for the manual HVAC, and am planning to trim the bottom off so I can keep my US hazard on the right side, but I would totally pay the extra money for that russian faceplate just to avoid the hassle of getting either the JDM hazard or Scosche manual faceplate and cutting things to fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Finally got her all wrapped up one color.

2005 GT wagon

SVXs i88 and HVAC harness, Sirius receiver unit and parking brake bypass for DVD

Pioneer AVH-4600bs head unit with Sirius, Pandora, pioneer App Radio, CD/DVD

JDM double DIN, HVAC and hazard

Wrapped in 3M Brushed black metallic

IMG_4544.thumb.jpg.d7b066e689dc27b44bb1625b17416917.jpg

IMG_4543.thumb.jpg.abe6eeb2091c98a7a35c60ef5a3d2ecc.jpg

57256982426__73E396F0-EBB8-4EAE-8682-F676DAFFF8FF.thumb.jpg.9ad981454a48b4be033d84fad221d50e.jpg

I'm really curious as to whether that Russian faceplate would work in a LHD car with the JDM HVAC though. It seems like it would.

I already ordered the Scosche faceplate for the manual HVAC, and am planning to trim the bottom off so I can keep my US hazard on the right side, but I would totally pay the extra money for that russian faceplate just to avoid the hassle of getting either the JDM hazard or Scosche manual faceplate and cutting things to fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I took apart my JDM HVAC unit and it looks like the Russian one is completely different and the JDM unit won't work with the Russian faceplate.

---

I got my new Joying head unit and was pretty disappointed to see that it doesn't fit the JDM faceplate. The head unit is barely too tall, but it can be forced in, and probably a quarter inch too wide. Looking at other people's posts, it looks like I'm not the only one that has a head unit too wide for the OEM faceplate. Really bummed about this since I don't want to have to hack up the faceplate.

WZfueNS.png

I took apart my JDM HVAC unit and it looks like the Russian one is completely different and the JDM unit won't work with the Russian faceplate.

---

I got my new Joying head unit and was pretty disappointed to see that it doesn't fit the JDM faceplate. The head unit is barely too tall, but it can be forced in, and probably a quarter inch too wide. Looking at other people's posts, it looks like I'm not the only one that has a head unit too wide for the OEM faceplate. Really bummed about this since I don't want to have to hack up the faceplate.

WZfueNS.png

Buy a scosche manual hvac plate and cut it. I did that with my jdm dual climate zone and joying head unit.

Buy a scosche manual hvac plate and cut it. I did that with my jdm dual climate zone and joying head unit.

Did your head unit fit the Scosche bezel or did you still have to trim it for that, too?

Have any pictures of your install? Curious especially to see how the faceplate looks meshed with the JDM HVAC after cutting it in half.

For those of you trying to figure out where and how much to cut out of the dash for the JDM hazard switch placement, here is some pictures of my journey. I'll let you know if this is it or I have to open it up more.

First mount as a mock up without switch and mark center of the hole.

Hole saw is 7/8".

Pull out the halfround rasp.

File to open up till it's clear.

This looks to keep a good amount of the dash intact and tankful this connector goes into the switch. Making it nice that you only have to clearance for the switch and not a connector as well.

IMG_2787.jpg.d9c7067c2973880c62e7780deda7e11a.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg.403deda0c1270ac4be165435189fcce5.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg.d26514918dbccbc466e900b3d9dde0ff.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg.8468313757d7a19fc3b0a22291ad9111.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg.d9cc24669e3d12ded3c3b1caaebb5f41.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg.8bd1eedcaa8297b5d5e406c45b504f25.jpg

Edited by kzr750r1

Did your head unit fit the Scosche bezel or did you still have to trim it for that, too?

Have any pictures of your install? Curious especially to see how the faceplate looks meshed with the JDM HVAC after cutting it in half.

I had to enlarge the cutout for the face of the headunit still.

Here is a picture. 7d74c54f975469b8b13cacae8ae8ac07.jpg

Im in search of the needed harnesses for this install. I have emailed svxdc also left a PM. Havent heard back.... any ideas?

Just be patient. I'm pretty sure he does it on the side and I know when I was talking to him in January he was really busy. If you don't hear back from him for a few days, email him back as I don't think he's really active on this forum anymore.

Im in search of the needed harnesses for this install. I have emailed svxdc also left a PM. Havent heard back.... any ideas?

Not sure if he got back to you yet but he did me. Sounds like he had some family things going on so may be a little while before he is getting parts out. Im just happy to hear that he is still making these lol.. I was real close to buying the parts and making my own and i do NOT want to start that

Finally got her all wrapped up one color.

2005 GT wagon

SVXs i88 and HVAC harness, Sirius receiver unit and parking brake bypass for DVD

Pioneer AVH-4600bs head unit with Sirius, Pandora, pioneer App Radio, CD/DVD

JDM double DIN, HVAC and hazard

Wrapped in 3M Brushed black metallic

[ATTACH]273432[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]273433[/ATTACH][ATTACH]273434[/ATTACH]

What size vinyl roll did you use to wrap everything? I'm looking into doing this to my interior this summer. Thanks.

What size vinyl roll did you use to wrap everything? I'm looking into doing this to my interior this summer. Thanks.

I got a 12”x 60” roll and it JUST got it done. Coulda used a bit more to make life easier

• 2 weeks later...

Got my harness last week from svx and got almost everything installed. I still have a couple amps to wire in and debating on sub still so until i figure what i want to run it will be the factory tiny little sub lol.

dRZZbZx.jpglkONG3V.jpg

Edited by DementedGT

• 2 months later...

Finally finished mine. Got the JDM bracket and the JDM hazard switch. I set it up a couple months ago with a Pioneer AVH-1550NEX and a Sirius receiver. I've had it running with the Hazard Switch hanging out because I misplaced my Dremel. Works pretty well, especially the CarPlay functionality. I also have that dim display on the HVAC that was all over the other thread. I haven't tried that brightness button trick, though.

Cut to today, I found my Dremel and got to work. I ran the USB line to the storage bin and cut a passthrough hole for it, so the cable's in the place I wanted. I also had to cut a lot out for the Hazard Switch, but in the end, it's pretty decent.

My only real complaint is that the lower bezel of the Pioneer is angled so that it catches sunlight and directs it into my eyes when I'm driving. It's a bit annoying when I'm driving in a tree-lined area, and it tricks me into thinking that the Pioneer display is changing.

http://ackthud.net/jont/2019/Misc/Subaru-Pioneer.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't taken mine apart yet, but is it not possible to transfer the old air controls to it?

Possible yes if you're a wizard with electronics. I remember seeing someone do that but the complexity is within the realm of professionals

I haven't taken mine apart yet, but is it not possible to transfer the old air controls to it?

Just so you know, in my 2005, the existing panel has a circuit board that covers the entire face of it, minus the controls you see. You'd have to separate the HVAC components, cut the board, but also work out whatever's missing before you could just "reuse" them. Not a job for the faint of heart.

• 5 weeks later...
I have the Dual HVAC JDM bezel ready to swap in... Can someone tell me if 7" displays have worked for them or does it have to be 6.95". Really needing some clarity on this before I buy a HU. Thank you!

If it's a Chinese head unit that's advertised as being true double DIN, it will not fit. The double DIN bezel on these cars is smaller than the official double DIN specs.

My Joying 7" double DIN head unit would not fit my bezel. It was too wide and too tall.

d8DPPla.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post on this forum, so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to modifications or anything of the sort.

I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited (USDM), and am looking to replace the head unit to a double DIN. I just emailed SVXdc, so he's yet to respond.

What size infotainment/receiver will fit in the JDM bezel? (listed here): https://avojdm.com/dual-zone-av-panel-set-h6217ag911/

Down the road, I'm also planning on installing aftermarket speakers, sub, and amp, so is there anything important I should know? Thank you.