LegacyGT.com

Official dual HVAC Double Din (JDM) Kit thread V2

dwolson2

• 4 weeks later...

Rt assassinationFigured I would update with my excellent results aside from just missing led illumination on the button backlighting for the climate controls.  I thought I read a solution in here for that and I'm wondering if it had something to do with the ribbon cable disconnected between the two circuit boards from the EU head unit?

Also my temp does show up in Fahrenheit not Celsius.  So that was a pleasant surprise. 

Probably the best option for double din I've seen aside from not painting the black faceplate trim thus far. 

To be specific, parts used:

Ebay Russian double din trim faceplate, tight fit fab's i88, i85, aux and radio adapters, and a EU left hand head unit with tI jhe separate climate controls along.   Swapped all the buttons and the lcd and plastic cover entirely from my old head unit transferred to this double din faceplate.  Lots of screws to be swapped in this process,  but managed to do it all cleanly. 

Notice the non reversed buttons. 

20220816_174349.jpg

Edited by SpecDubC

On 8/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, hateitorloveit said:

I'm having an issue with getting the illumination to work. for the HVAC controls and on my head unit.

After following the instructions, are there any tips anyone can provide to get this to work? 

this was fixed with simply turning the headlights on. I don't remember that being required with the stock head unit but I guess it's good enough for now.

1 hour ago, SpecDubC said:

Figured I would update with my excellent results aside from just missing led illumination on the button backlighting for the climate controls.  I thought I read a solution in here for that and I'm wondering if it had something to do with the ribbon cable disconnected between the two circuit boards from the EU head unit?

Also my temp does show up in Fahrenheit not Celsius.  So that was a pleasant surprise. 

Probably the best option for double din I've seen aside from not painting the black faceplate trim thus far. 

20220816_174349.jpg

Perhaps read the text in on this page about illumination...

https://tightfitfab.com/2005-2009-subaru-legacy-gt-outback-jdm-double-din-dual-zone-climate-control-i88-adapter/

On 9/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, hateitorloveit said:

Thanks I'll check the next time the thing is opened up.   I think that they probably didn't connect that but I did leave that disclaimer note to them when they installed my head unit after I plugged all the harnesses in.   So hopefully it's not connected in a way that's damaged maybe just needs grounded.  And if anyone's wondering this is the DMX957XR model head unit.   It's nice because it has the gauge cluster screen when they install this with the correct maestro unit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been MIA! It's been kind of crazy on my end which is great. Thanks to the Legacy & 240sx community I've been quite busy where I don't even come on here as much as I should. I'm always building harnesses so I have stock on hand for the community. I just wanted to thank all of you who've supported me since I decided to start making these harnesses. On a side note I even had a great shop make a YouTube video on my S-Chassis (240sx) Power Steering Fittings. If anyone is interested in taking a look at the video here is the link to it Faction Motorsports YouTube Review.

Hopefully, everyone is doing well, healthy and just enjoying our Legacy's. If anyone needs a quick response please don't hesitate in reaching out on my website, email, or hitting me up on Facebook & Instagram @tightfitfab. I always try and respond quickly no matter what day it is. By the way life might get a little more busy since my wife and I found out that we're going to have a baby! After 10 years it's definitely a blessing! 

Thank you,

Raul  

Edited by k00laid83
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

**Sorry I posted the e-bay link but this is in reference to the Russian Double Din Facia for $60

I actually purchased this 2 years prior to the sanctions from this guy, then found it super hard to get just a dual Auto Zone on its own, without facia self...

If anyone needs one I have one for sale!  Exactly as pictured and fits! can take pics!

I had mine sitting and my e button wasn't hooked up so I ripped my stereo out to hook up e-light for inspection and yanked one wire out of my JDM HVAC....no controls, luckily ealy on someone had a diagram, it was a year and half I wired it up lol.

Would love a plug and play harness 

Edited by phish27134

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 6:16 PM, phish27134 said:

**Sorry I posted the e-bay link but this is in reference to the Russian Double Din Facia for $60

I actually purchased this 2 years prior to the sanctions from this guy, then found it super hard to get just a dual Auto Zone on its own, without facia self...

If anyone needs one I have one for sale!  Exactly as pictured and fits! can take pics!

I had mine sitting and my e button wasn't hooked up so I ripped my stereo out to hook up e-light for inspection and yanked one wire out of my JDM HVAC....no controls, luckily ealy on someone had a diagram, it was a year and half I wired it up lol.

Would love a plug and play harness 

If you have this I’ll take it !

• 2 weeks later...

How did people in this thread get their double din to line up perfectly with the other trim pieces? Mine seems to be tilted by about 1/4" despite all of the mounting holes being dead on.

Edited by MasAyinde

I’m in the same boat, I have the slightest gaps around the HVAC panel and ‘hockey stick’ trim pieces, but everything seems to be installed correctly in place.. Are there tricks/tips to get the panels to line up a little better? 

From what I've been looking and reading about. This piece is for the RHD legacy, right. If you take a look at the US center console, its slightly angled towards the driver, not super noticeable but enough to be seen by those OCD people when swapping for JDM (it would drive me crazy!). That being said, these RHD ones are angled towards the right. Thus, giving you that undesirable gap. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey there, just got all my parts together from tightfitlab, HU wiring harness, i88 harness, etc

Wired up everything, the head unit works, but the HVAC does not. It has illumination with head lights on, but none of the controls work. Any thoughts on trouble shooting? I am using the Dual Zone AV Panel Set (H6217AG911) from avojdm.

EDIT: Got it working. Turns out a couple of the pins were a bit loose on the i88, enough to not make contact, but still clip in without issue. Fiddled with it a bit and its all working great now.

Edited by Comp

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the hvac H6217AG910 single zone and I have the Japanese version of the subaru outback 2005, so I don't need the i88 adapter. The problem I have is that the hvac controller doesn't work, the buttons don't do anything, the illumination does work and displays the information on the hvac AC.

works any solution?

20 minutes ago, david82g said:

I bought the hvac H6217AG910 single zone and I have the Japanese version of the subaru outback 2005, so I don't need the i88 adapter. The problem I have is that the hvac controller doesn't work, the buttons don't do anything, the illumination does work and displays the information on the hvac AC.

works any solution?

Sounds a lot like my same issue. Check for loose connections, be it pins not lining up properly, not in all the way, or a plug just not mating properly.

7 hours ago, david82g said:

I was trying the same thing but I don't see anything loose and the connector is the original

You purchased or where shipped the wrong double din kit. 

I your video it is displaying a single zone auto climate control.   You more than likely need the dual zone auto climate control.  They are not interchangeable. 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

No, that's a single zone. You have the correct one. Can't help but wonder if you still need the i88 adapter, this is the way it's described on one of the sites selling them

"This adapter is used in combination with the JDM AV Panel to retain HVAC control when installing an aftermarket Double DIN headunit in a Subaru Legacy or Outback. The JDM panel requires the following additional signals that are not connected in the OEM harness:

• Illumination (-)
  • Illumination (+)
  • +12V Switched

https://www.autoharnesshouse.com/AHH-JDM.html

Edited by stridermc