LegacyGT.com

Where do you buy gas from?

Been using Costco for 10+ years, I do go every few months and use to use chevron with Techron, but I think Costco has enough cleaning additives to keep things clean.

Right now I run Costco and then use shell since they have their nitrogen cleaning additive.

Thoughts?

Been using Costco for 10+ years, I do go every few months and use to use chevron with Techron, but I think Costco has enough cleaning additives to keep things clean.

Right now I run Costco and then use shell since they have their nitrogen cleaning additive.

Thoughts?

Your post has re-sparked a debate that has been going on here in Australia about cleaning additives in fuel. Over here, the various petrol companies IMHO are very deceptive, because they do not make public what they add to their various brands .... and merely claim that there are "magic things" added that keep engines clean .... BP is the main offender here. Unfortunately our regulatory bodies are too weak to step in and do their job and make these companies make full disclosures.

The web page link at the bottom of this post is a bit long, but it is very interesting .... and it mentions the USA situation as well as here. I especially like this paragraph concerning the BP additive situation ...

Practical Motoring: By saying that BP Ultimate will bust the dirt in a car’s engine and that regular fuel is dirty, is BP admitting that its own regular fuel is dirty?

BP: All hydrocarbon fuels burn dirty in engines because the combustion process is not perfect (it has to allow for many different speeds and operating conditions). In the presence of air and heat all hydrocarbon fuels will form gums and dirt which is a natural oxidation process. BP is not saying that it’s fuel is dirty, we are saying that regular fuels without the cleaning properties and formulation of Ultimate can potentially clog your engine with dirt after prolonged use.

Practical Motoring: Thus, will BP consider rolling out its dirt-busting additive to its regular fuel lines?

BP: Not at this stage.

Here is the full transcript ....

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/dirt-busting-fuel-fact-or-fiction/

I wish I could get Chevron, but none around here. Mostly, I get BP and use their rewards program because it is convenient. With my BRZ, I made sure to always use top tier gas due to direct injection, but I am less concerned with the port injection on my Legacy. I just took a trip to NY and got gas at Sunoco, Mirabito, and Turkey Hill. They all seemed to provide about the same fuel economy.

I used to get BJ's gas, but I actually had a number of issues that went away when I switched to something else. In my wife's Forester XT, her fuel economy went up about 2 mpg on non-BJ's gas.

The cheapest place I can find. Gas is gas. I can go through a whole list of reasons you are wasting your money buying brand name gas, but the simple answer is that all gas gets mixed in the tanker trucks and/or comes from the same local supplier(s).

The cheapest place I can find. Gas is gas. I can go through a whole list of reasons you are wasting your money buying brand name gas, but the simple answer is that all gas gets mixed in the tanker trucks and/or comes from the same local supplier(s).

This. ^

My main requirement is there not being a tanker refilling the station tanks as I pull in. I really don't want all the sediment at the bottom of the tanks in my fuel filter.

Otherwise, cheapest gas that is convenient.

Shell, but more because of the Pay at the Pump from the Chase App. Saves me from potentially having my card skimmed at the pump.

If Shell isn't available, whatever the cheapest top tier gas station is. In my area, it tends to be Valero. And while it is true that generally speaking the gas in a given area all comes from the same refinery, the additives that are added when the tankers are getting filled are different, based on brand.

Wrong. Educate yourself.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

That study was done very poorly. 1. The comparisons between the gas was not done in an appropriate way which would have used similar grade fuels (i.e.. regular vs regular) for comparison. 2. The testing lab did not obtain fuel from a pump, but was given samples by consumer reports. 3. The study did not look at the detrimental impact (if any) of the alleged dirty valves on long term engine use. 4. I don't know where you live, but cheapo gas is a hell of a lot less expensive than brand name stations.

What the study showed, in essence, is that premium level gas (i.e. higher octane) has more cleaning power via detergents than regular gas. It did not compare regular grade cheapo to brand name regular. nor did it show any significant impact over time on engines.

That study was done very poorly. 1. The comparisons between the gas was not done in an appropriate way which would have used similar grade fuels (i.e.. regular vs regular) for comparison. 2. The testing lab did not obtain fuel from a pump, but was given samples by consumer reports. 3. The study did not look at the detrimental impact (if any) of the alleged dirty valves on long term engine use. 4. I don't know where you live, but cheapo gas is a hell of a lot less expensive than brand name stations.

What the study showed, in essence, is that premium level gas (i.e. higher octane) has more cleaning power via detergents than regular gas. It did not compare regular grade cheapo to brand name regular. nor did it show any significant impact over time on engines.

You may have misread the article. Top Tier ≠ Premium. Top Tier refers to a group of fuel brands that commit to a higher-than-required-by-law quality of detergent. It does not refer to the octane rating.

See here: https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel-economy-efficiency/why-you-might-not-actually-need-premium-gas/

"What’s more, in the Acura owner’s manual the automaker only recommends using “top-tier detergent gasoline”—which can be of any octane grade, regular or premium—for performance and reliability reasons. But there is nothing in the manual that equates premium gas with improved reliability."

Archived