LegacyGT.com

Simplest audio aux solution (not FM)?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't seem to find the answer through the mountains of info.

Just wanna run my iPod through my car's speakers. Everything is stock. I have one of those FM transmitters that works through the radio and it works great for what it is but...not so great in Los Angeles where driving just a few miles can go from pretty clear to blasting some other random station.

Looking for minimal setup. Obviously a hard wire solution with an actual aux jack but I don't care if it hangs loose (for now). Definitely don't want to drill into my stock car.

Suggestions? Or link to where this is covered?

Radio and climate control was pnp too?

Yes. I did the same, the SRS Audio is a nice upgrade.

I now have the 07-09 stereo, satellite radio, aux for my Nexus 7 tablet, and GROM Bluetooth for my iPhone.

Jazzy mentioned above is the simplest if you just want a cord. You do have to take your stereo apart a bit to insert the ribbon cable inline.

The 3.5mm aux is pretty inexpensive, the lightning version is a good bit more expensive.

I put the Jazzy in mine, but switched the supplied cord for an extender. I've had bad luck with my AUX cords failing and I got tired of removing the stereo to change it. I ended up mounting the end of the AUX extender on the side of the shifter base. Looks really nice

• 1 month later...
‘07-‘09 radio from eBay + GROM aux/iPod/iPhone adapter.

I've seen the GROM units online. Are you suggesting they won't be compatible with the '05 stock radio and that's why I'd need an '07-'09?

I just checked out two '07-'09 radios on eBay but when I plug in my car to check compatibility I get a message saying it's not compatible. Is it just saying that and it actually is compatible or am I looking at the wrong item? Here's one link I found...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-Subaru-Legacy-Radio-Cd-MP3-WMA-Player-86201AG69A-P-204UN-JAB09-/382504824596?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

I'm guessing doing this modification is pretty easy but I haven't ever pulled my radio. Pretty easy?

I am running the Jazzy aux mod, I fed it into a bluetooth kit from amazon with play/skip controls and a mic for calls as well. I mounted it in front of the drivers side AC vent.

Besign BK01 Bluetooth 4.1 Car Kit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUWCZ0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

This allows me to skip songs with a button with easy access rather than using my phone. I think this is ask the most cost effective way. Only real downside is that the blank CD has 99 minutes max before it starts over, when this happens your sound stops for about 2 seconds.

Picture for reference.

43_AC622_E_ADF1_4933_8838_66_DD45_CE8983.png

I'm guessing doing this modification is pretty easy but I haven't ever pulled my radio. Pretty easy?

It’s not difficult at all. Removing the ground wire from the metal bracket may be the hardest part since you have to tug on it pretty hard, but that could just be mine. If you do the Jazzy Aux method, you have to take apart your radio and that is a little tedious, lots of small screws. Maybe about 15

I went to a junkyard and got a radio from a newer legacy, I installed it in the junkyard parking lot, takes 10 minutes.

to find a used one you can look on ebay like everyone says, but I prefer junkyards over ebay.

use this site, car-part.com, you can pretty much search every junkyard in the country!

You pop off the two side moldings and then unscrew 4 screws I think. Its extremely straightforward.

I just checked out two '07-'09 radios on eBay but when I plug in my car to check compatibility I get a message saying it's not compatible. Is it just saying that and it actually is compatible or am I looking at the wrong item? Here's one link I found...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-Subaru-Legacy-Radio-Cd-MP3-WMA-Player-86201AG69A-P-204UN-JAB09-/382504824596?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

It's actually plug and play in your car. Ebay doesn't keep up with things like that, just what model a particular thing came with.

Removing the radio: Remove two screws in center console box and pull it up. Remove the shifter chrome trim. Pull up on the gray shifter trim from the bottom, remove. Remove two side trim screws. Remove side trim (pull straight to back of car). Remove four screws holding radio in, pull it out. Remove four connectors from back of the radio. Reverse these directions for your new radio and you're done! It takes maybe 20 minutes the first time you do it.

The jazzy mod is actually very simple to install and works well. I have installed a bunch of them (back in the "day"). The newer head unit is also plug and play, you just have to run your aux in.

Keep in mind that on the 07-09 modules I have had two of my own go haywire where the a/c controls flash on and off and eventually fail.

• 2 months later...

I was going to follow the advice above and get an 07-09 stereo from the junkyard and DIY everything but I'm just slammed with work and family so decided screw it, I'll go to a local car stereo place and let them deal with it. Got a new head unit picked out but then the guy said he simply couldn't find...not sure what it's called - the dash kit? - essentially the face plate to replace the stock one to be compatible with the new head unit. He said he couldn't find anything that would line up with the AC controls.

Is this true and I have no choice but to DIY as mentioned above or is there something out there he missed?

I was going to follow the advice above and get an 07-09 stereo from the junkyard and DIY everything but I'm just slammed with work and family so decided screw it, I'll go to a local car stereo place and let them deal with it. Got a new head unit picked out but then the guy said he simply couldn't find...not sure what it's called - the dash kit? - essentially the face plate to replace the stock one to be compatible with the new head unit. He said he couldn't find anything that would line up with the AC controls.

Is this true and I have no choice but to DIY as mentioned above or is there something out there he missed?

There is a $350 kit you can order from Japan, but otherwise no.

Find an '07-'09 radio on ebay, bring it to the shop with a GROM aux in adapter, and let them install it.

I like the newer radio option vs the jazzy because it also plays mp3 cd's, actually has an aux button, and I think it has some more other little bells and whistles. I'm not sure how the jazzy mod distinguishes between audio signals.

You don't actually have to go to a junkyard... you can just order it to ur home and then spend 10-15 minutes to install it.... its not that cereal!

Hey, I'm pretty new here.. the 07+ radio seems like a decent option for me. Since I'm canadian, I think it will be cheaper than ordering the jazzy kit.

When I'm looking at pictures on ebay of the 07+ radio, I don't see where the aux cable connects on the back?

I did the 07-09 radio upgrade with the newer center console pocket. I made my own harness as I was able to get the I85 connector and connector to the aux port out of a 08 legacy. Looks totally factory and HVAC controls are plug and play. The link above really details what needs to be done. This site also has a ton of info about doing the swap it really helped me out.

http://ae64.com/Legacy_Gen4_HU_Transplant.htm

I did the 07-09 radio upgrade with the newer center console pocket. I made my own harness as I was able to get the I85 connector and connector to the aux port out of a 08 legacy. Looks totally factory and HVAC controls are plug and play. The link above really details what needs to be done. This site also has a ton of info about doing the swap it really helped me out.

http://ae64.com/Legacy_Gen4_HU_Transplant.htm

Would you mind sharing with us (me) how you made your own harness? I haven't been able to get a response from the ae64 website about buying the required adapters/harnesses I'd need to put a later model HU into my 05.

I happened to have a 08 Legacy NA parts car so I was able to get the center console pocket, aux port and the pigtails at each end. I just followed the wiring diagram and made the correct length of harness to run from the radio to the center console. I still had to buy the newer radio as the parts car I had used a manual HVAC controls. I never tried to contact the website that I posted about getting a harness.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a $350 kit you can order from Japan, but otherwise no.

Find an '07-'09 radio on ebay, bring it to the shop with a GROM aux in adapter, and let them install it.

Wouldn't this work...

Metra 95-8901

met-958901.jpg

or the Scosche SU2025B Dash Kit.

My friend just acquired 2006 special edition. He requested I assist him in replacing the head unit. Mostly for lack of Aux. I've seen mention of the only option being the expensive Japanese kit a few places, yet I've found a couple dash kits that would seem to work from Metra and Scoche .

He'd much rather have a modern aftermarket DD android auto HU over just an aux. I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Archived