LegacyGT.com

What u like about the wagon?

i've been hearing things like, "a wagon is more than a car, but less than a SUV"

well, after all your comments, i've changed my mind..

it isn't really a comparison in this case i think, the wagon seems to be a whole different cattle of fish...cool styling + utility + kick-your-ass performance...and yeh, i think this is really becoming a trend in N.America...look at what Mazda is doing with their 3...and of course, the amount of impreza wagons on the road...

At first when I was shopping for a car to replace my 02 Mustang GT I was only looking at sedans and coupes. I really wanted a fun and FAST car that would be practical year round here in MN. This led me right to AWD and only a few cars, WRX, used STi, used S4, MS6 that was delayed. Went to the Subaru dealership to look at used STis and WRX and saw the Legacy sedan. Then I researched a little and found this website, sold on the Legacy at that point especially for the prices of leftover 05s.

When I saw the sedan and wagon side by side I was like, hey the wagon actually looks better than the sedan, weird. Then I found out the weight diff was only about 50lbs and gave better 50/50 distribution. Then I realized how practical the wagon would be, as much room as an SUV, AWD for winter, decent MPG, handles great, and most important fast as hell. I really lucked out as there was only 1 5mt non-limited wagon left in my area and it happened to be the color I liked, SOLD!

white wagons look nice too.

you can sleep in the back with the rear seats down.

put 4 rims with tires on back there.

etc.

only drawback, imo, is that in daylight the rear light cluster looks too much like a dodge caravan. they cd have done that better.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

"So stick a fat guy in the back seat of the sedan and it'll match the wagon"

Jeez, I didn't realize I was a fat guy at 205 lbs :)

I bought the wagon -- In my opinion it looks cooler. When I started looking for a new car -- I was looking for another SUV (I had an Isuzu Rodeo with 175K on the clock). Primarily I was looking at the Volvo xc90 and the like.

One day -- after being revived when I collapsed viewing the sticker price on an xc90 with leather and sunroof, I took a seat in a Mazda 6 wagon (it was next to the xc90) and the dealer thought I should sit for a few minutes. I looked around and said -- wow-- this has alot more room than I thought.

Went home an started researching sporty wagons. Over the next few days, the Legacy GT LTD just rose head and shoulders above the rest -- in performance, reputation for reliability and most important -- POWER.

So I got it.

On a more practical note -- I have 2 rugrats and a woodworking/carpentry hobby. On my first 10 day vacation I brought the whole family and all toys, clothes, etc without any problem. Later I went over a buddy's house to repair a deck and I was able to fit all needed tools -- compressor, nailers, table saw with Rosseau table, chop saw and other stuff without any problem.

Essentially, the only thing I can't do with the Leggy GT is carry a full sheet of plywood. (and my little mind is trying to scheme a design for a rack to carry 2 full sheets)

Considering its utility, styling and power -- the Wagon is an easy choice -- and I'm not even mentioning the AWD.

And most importantly (even for a 40 year old that doesn't feel the need to prove anything on the road anymore) was the look on that guy driving the Caddy CTS get beat on 4 sets of lights in a row -- by a wagon! He was PISSED -- and his chick looked amused. I loved it. Transported me back 20 years when I drove a beat up County Squire LTD wagon with a 351 Clevland 4bbl. (Yes the family truckster with the fake wood panels) Could take an IROC without building up a sweat.

-Dan C.

Don't worry Dan, I'm 200lbs and hopefully not considered fat.

I've got two rugrats too, and getting into this wagon and out of my Landcruiser was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Oh, and never, never discount what a sweet ride that Country Squire was.

I considered both when I was shopping.

The sedan is lighter and cheaper. The sedan is quieter on the highway because the trunk insulates road noise from the passenger compartment better. The sedan allows you to lock more stuff out of sight.

The wagon is vastly more utilitarian when it is time to haul stuff.

They are both nifty cars in their own right. In the end, I chose the sedan over the wagon because we also have a Protege5 and a Ranger, so load-carrying ability wasn't real high on the priority list.

To each his/her own, neither car will disappoint!

Steve

I've gone from 15 years of SUV's and into my LGT Wagon and am lovin' every minute of it out here on the wet coast...great for my dog and all my gear...bottom line is flexibility...a sedan has none really...but in the end a sedan to a wagon is like comparing apples to oranges...but that is what i like about this site the most...you get all sorts of different views about this car between the sedan types and the wagon types...I think ultimately we are very different in our automotive views and needs but in the end we both have a sweet car to enjoy!

Viva la wagon...ain't it nice to be free and flexible!

I've gone from 15 years of SUV's and into my LGT Wagon and am lovin' every minute of it out here on the wet coast...great for my dog and all my gear...bottom line is flexibility...a sedan has none really...but in the end a sedan to a wagon is like comparing apples to oranges...but that is what i like about this site the most...you get all sorts of different views about this car between the sedan types and the wagon types...I think ultimately we are very different in our automotive views and needs but in the end we both have a sweet car to enjoy!

Viva la wagon...ain't it nice to be free and flexible!

+1

and been out here on the wet coast myself as well, i fully enjoy the confidence 4WD gives me...and as u said, it's great fun no matter what trim you choose

This is a good point. Most people who own SUVs do not need them, and would be better served by either a wagon or a minivan. Wagons have all the cargo-carrying and AWD advantages of SUVs, with none of the (comparatively) poor handling, tippiness, and lousy gas mileage liabilities. Wagons can't handle off-road excursions like SUVs do, but probably 95% of SUV owners don't do that anyway, and probably over half of the remaining people would be well served by an Outback or Audi Allroad anyway. For those who need even more cargo or passenger capability, minivans or hybrid vehicles (e.g. Ford Freestyle, Subaru Tribeca) fit the bill.

i've been hearing things like, "a wagon is more than a car, but less than a SUV"

well, after all your comments, i've changed my mind..

it isn't really a comparison in this case i think, the wagon seems to be a whole different cattle of fish...cool styling + utility + kick-your-ass performance...and yeh, i think this is really becoming a trend in N.America...look at what Mazda is doing with their 3...and of course, the amount of impreza wagons on the road...

The Wagon easily carries more than most passenger SUV's. The only ones that really carry more than it are giant SUV's of the Expedition and Armada type. The attraction in SUV's is the ride height especially for women.

I like my wagon because it just seems like Subaru has had experience doing it. The ride is amazingly composed. When you look at or sit in other wagons the back area looks like an afterthought. It looks like they built a sedan and said "Hey lets build a wagon out of it". Subaru looks like they built the wagon and said "Hey lets build a sedan out of it". And they didn't screw the sedan up either. :)

Archived