LegacyGT.com

Poor Handling

I am very dissatisfied with the way this car handles.

To be clear it's just the steering that I dislike.

It's Soo sensitive even going 50+

This causes even the slightest movement to sende almost off the road or into another lane.

Does anyone know if this car has variable-assist power steering?

Is there a way to tune the power steering via an ECU tune?

What are some things I can do to reduce some of the overly sensitive steering?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a bicycle.

Search is your friend!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

I think you're the first person to say the steering is TOO responsive. I've also been trying to figure out if there's a way to tune the steering settings

Do keep me updated on that if you find a solution.

I would think with electric power steering it would be possible to tune it.

Do keep me updated on that if you find a solution.

I would think with electric power steering it would be possible to tune it.

Have fun! We will all follow your endeavors with this project.[emoji848]

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

I have had the car for about 3 months now.

Before this I drove a 2011 Mitsubishi lancer

What you are experiencing is the difference in feel between a hydraulic steering of your lancer and the electric PS of the legacy. Its just going to take some getting used to.

Given that its a critical component and safety related, I doubt they would leave the configuration parameters in the upper layers or where you and I can access/ modify.

What you are experiencing is the difference in feel between a hydraulic steering of your lancer and the electric PS of the legacy. Its just going to take some getting used to.

Given that its a critical component and safety related, I doubt they would leave the configuration parameters in the upper layers or where you and I can access/ modify.

Actually, my lancer had electric power steering. It also had variable assist as well.

I wouldn't think that it could be significantly tuned eother. I was hoping for something more like trim to make it slightly more less sensitive.

• 1 month later...
Actually, my lancer had electric power steering. It also had variable assist as well.

I wouldn't think that it could be significantly tuned eother. I was hoping for something more like trim to make it slightly more less sensitive.

Yes, the car SUCKS on the highway. You aren't crazy. It's a twitchy mess. I have done the upgrades, tires, etc. It seems to only happen to certain cars, as some do drive perfectly fine.. while others make you look like a crackhead driving around. It's almost like there is a dead spot on center.. even holding the wheel in the same position the car will shift and need a micro adjust from the driver. It's exhausting!

It's almost as if the steering dampener or column needs a resistant shock or counter balance?..?

Just drive and learn. The learning curve is different for each driver and you will become a master .... Grasshopper.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Yes, the car SUCKS on the highway. You aren't crazy. It's a twitchy mess. I have done the upgrades, tires, etc. It seems to only happen to certain cars, as some do drive perfectly fine.. while others make you look like a crackhead driving around. It's almost like there is a dead spot on center.. even holding the wheel in the same position the car will shift and need a micro adjust from the driver. It's exhausting!

It's almost as if the steering dampener or column needs a resistant shock or counter balance?..?

Yes, the car SUCKS on the highway. ..... Mine doesn't it's a great hwy car

You aren't crazy ...... I can't answer that, a shrink perhaps could :lol:

It's a twitchy mess. ..... mine's not

I have done the upgrades, tires, etc ....... I've done no mods and I'm happy

even holding the wheel in the same position the car will shift and need a micro adjust from the driver. It's exhausting! ....... never had that problem

It's almost as if the steering dampener or column needs a resistant shock or counter balance? ...... never had that feeling

my Legacy drives great on the highway, the handling was improved with a rear sway bar, that flattened out body lean, but had no effect on side to side movement, tracking, steering input while driving straight or anything like that.

Either your car has a problem (possible), or the problem is expecting a Subaru Legacy to handle like a current generation BMW or Audi (I didn't own one before -- except for a 1986 Audi 5000 which probably does not count--I've heard the modern day luxury sedans have exceptional handling, and except for the expense of buying one, with the wicked depreciation, and the fact that no sane person would ever want to own one that is out of warranty, great cars to drive).

I don’t think it’s operator error. Even with my upgraded RSB, I find mine wandering side to side with zero steering wheel movement which forces me to correct. It’s becoming very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like operator error. Recently did a 3600+ mile road trip across the US. 2017 Legacy drove like a dream.

I agree. My regular long road trip is great. I travel the same route and on one section I cross over a long bridge that has a sign that states "Strong Wind Warning" and I have no problems. I obviously assume that those posters who complain about the handling are not making it up, ... but I also find it hard to believe that you and I have the only two vehicles that are capable of running in a straight line and don't require constant steering correction :confused:

I find that the on-center feel in my Legacy is very numb compared to the last 3 cars I've driven: WRX, Audi, BMW. While I don't feel like it is poor, the car doesn't have the same positive steering control those cars have. I blame the over-boosted steering combined with low tow-in to get better tire life.

Based on what I'm hearing about the 2018 Legacy, Subaru agreed, since the steering feel was firmed up. I also think that the soft springs on the Legacy contribute to some unsettling body movements when driving in cross winds. I bought the car to have a comfortable, quiet car to haul the family in inclement weather, so I don't expect sports car driving dynamics. The sixth-gen is no Legacy GT, but I still like the way it drives better than an Accord or Camry, especially when the weather is bad. Plus it's waaaay cheaper to own and operate than a German car.

Not sure what year model you have or if you have the feature, I think it's called Lane Keep Assist. If you do have it, turn it off and see if it feels different. I like the feature but I find it overly sensitive. It really wants you to stay in the middle of the lane. I'd like to see it only kick in when you're much closer to the lane markings.

Not sure what year model you have or if you have the feature, I think it's called Lane Keep Assist. If you do have it, turn it off and see if it feels different. I like the feature but I find it overly sensitive. It really wants you to stay in the middle of the lane. I'd like to see it only kick in when you're much closer to the lane markings.

I believe this feature requires eyesight. My car is blind so to speak, meaning no eyesight.

Also I have the 2015 premium

I believe this feature requires eyesight. My car is blind so to speak, meaning no eyesight.

Also I have the 2015 premium

You are correct. LKA is a function provided by EyeSight, but it (LKA) wasn't added until MY 2016.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

they might have updated the programming for 2018, because in my 2017 LKA is very 'ping/pongy', and does zero corrections until you are hitting a line (when it sees them, it is very poor at picking up road markings when there is any curvature in the road).

He was probably complaining about the alert tone when you cross the lines, even without LKA switched on, that might be something you can disable.

Archived