LegacyGT.com

Wood blocks for jacks?

Trying to remove my turbo and having to get under the car to remove the center exhaust (down pipe???). I have some jack stands but they are too big to safely install while using the stock jack.

I noticed the frame right next to the jack location and was wondering if some nice wide blocks would be safe enough to install so I can get to the bolts on the bottom of the center exhaust pipe? Thanks for the help!

Wood blocks will hold, but be wary of size, shape, etc. In a pinch I've used an 8X8 chunk of treated wood to hold half a car.

Be smart

Pretty sure if you look up "be smart" in some dictionaries, they define it as "to not support a car on pieces of wood."

Pretty sure if you look up "be smart" in some dictionaries, they define it as "to not support a car on pieces of wood."

I'm not referring to whatever 2x4 you can wedge under it. But a solid 8x8x12 chunk of treated wood is way more than stronger enough to support a corner of any passenger car I've ever owned. With proper placement, of course.

John Hancock

DSCN6632.thumb.JPG.3223efac9fb55ebbf967ab82bea7d3cd.JPG

There are a number of places that you can support the car. I normally place one of my floor jacks under that frame rail instead of the pinch point for the stock jack.

Harbor Fright has a great selection of jacks and stands for good prices to keep you safe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Anything that can prevent you from getting injured is good. Just be aware that not all jack stands are alike.

Here's an example of a bad one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvEA74-Edw]Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#61196 Jack Stands FAILURE - YouTube[/ame]

I'd prefer a jack stand with a cross pin instead of the ratchet lock that seems unsafe to me.

453747.png

I wouldn't use wood blocks on pinch welds. I had a block of 2x4 splinter while I was using it as a jack spacer (old floor jack wouldn't reach the sill of our old minivan) . The wood did not completely fail, but that was my firsthand experience as to why many, many more experienced mechanic do not recommend the practice.

stock jack sucks. Buy a floor jack to jack up your car. if your largest jack stand doesnt go as high as you need you can do something called cribbing if you wanted to get it really high, there is a couple youtube vids on it. The general idea is here https://www.boronextrication.com/2011/02/12/wooden-cribbing-basics/

if the jack you have do not go as high as you need it eg 6 ton jack stands, jack up in stages to a set of jack stands then use a stable base to get the jack higher, until you reach the desired height.

Just with everything, have a backup in case something fails eg tires or wood and dont put your body under anything that you feel is unsafe and dont go under anything that is supported by just a jack. Also have helper with you so incase something happens they can help you or give advice, grab tools, call for help etc.

[ATTACH]264363[/ATTACH]

There are a number of places that you can support the car. I normally place one of my floor jacks under that frame rail instead of the pinch point for the stock jack.

Harbor Fright has a great selection of jacks and stands for good prices to keep you safe.

This.

Fun fact as an aside: if you're dumb like me and put your stand too far out on the control arm plate arm (where Max has his front stands), they bend and you get to spend 15 bucks apiece and an hour or two of your life to replace them :spin:

My oldest brother had his pelvis broken in like 4 places because of improper lifting.

Had a Chevy Tahoe drop on him between concrete and a 4k lbs vehicle.

Almost died.

No expense should be spared on safety. If you have to ask, it isn't safe enough.

Edit: Wood may be dry rotted, lack proper moisture content, have internal fractures, or many other unseen defects. It's like peeling an onion, the rings provide a nice fault to slip...

Archived