LegacyGT.com

Car jerks when shifting into gear

Every morning or anytime I turn on the car after it's sitting cold, the car jerks as I shift into reverse or drive. It's around 30-40 degrees here in NJ. The car is a 2017 Legacy with only 9500 miles on it.

The car doesn't jerk if I let it sit for about 1-2 minutes, just long enough for the RPMs to drop close to 1000.

Is this damaging my transmission?

So your car jerks it when you give it the D. Interesting :lol:

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about it hurting your transmission. As you mentioned it's probably a result of the higher RPMs the car runs at when cold and not warmed up yet. If you are still worried you can always go to/call the dealer. You still have a lot of warranty left at only 9500 miles.

Im not sure when you bought the car, but also consider if the jerk has gotten wore over time or if it was like it from the factory.

My 15 2.5 didn't do this, nor does my 18 2.5, even when cold. I assume the dealer will tell you "it's normal". But it's worth having it doc'd by the dealer, so that if it gets worse or breaks down the road, they're more willing to give you a break on cost if outside of warranty.

Supposedly there is a transmission and engine programming reflash for the ECU available for the 2016's at the dealership. My next oil change will be at the dealer and I'm hoping to get this flash.

Mine also does this and its pretty annoying.

I was thinking of starting a thread like this. I find my 2018 3.6r is a pain to manage at low parking lot speeds when cold. Note we are talking Seattle cold (50F) not east coast cold. It takes really careful brake release to avoid lurching forward or back and hard to keep under 15 mph. My old cars (non-Subaru) weren’t like this, at least not to this degree. Do folks just adapt to it?

I'm definitely going to get it looked at by the dealer and see what they have to say.

Generally it only happens with cold weather. I haven't really noticed it in the summer months. I bought the car August 2017.

I'll keep you guys updated though since a few folks are experiencing the same situation.

I guess people don't warm up their cars anymore?

If I pull out of the heated garage, yeah.

or am trying to evade capture by Russian operatives.

But mostly pulling out of a heated garage.

:icon_frow I'm such a lush.

So I had my 24K oil change today and had them look at some issues. They said the petal jerk was ‘within normal limits’ and that I needed to fully warm the car after every start between 2-10 minutes before shifting into gear. They said no ECU reflash was available for the transmission or engine as well. So I guess I will continue to live with it until a fix happens or I sell the car.

I'm completely at a loss as to why people think this is a problem. If someone woke you up and a few seconds later wanted you to take off running laps you probably wouldn't perform great either. Engines/mechanical devices need a minute to warm up and get fluids moving, just like you. Take a minute or two and let it warm-up or buy a remote start. Not rocket science but it is science.

Yup, my 2018 3.6 jerks a little when rpms at idle are a little high.....not like my old Chevy when you had to give it a blip to make the automatic choke come off, but it goes away when warmed up.. not a problem, but the nature of the beast I think.

Same feedback on cold 3.6

So I had my 24K oil change today and had them look at some issues. They said the petal jerk was ‘within normal limits’ and that I needed to fully warm the car after every start between 2-10 minutes before shifting into gear. They said no ECU reflash was available for the transmission or engine as well. So I guess I will continue to live with it until a fix happens or I sell the car.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Archived