LegacyGT.com

How to make 400+whp quieter?

While at Subaru last week I asked for a quote on replacement OEM cans,

$350 each.

Ill live with the $300 3inch catback from Gimmick until I can find a suitable donor car without all the salt cancer.

xtea, you too? I should be up and running by Tuesday. I'm beyond stoked for the sweet smooth shifting of a spec b trans with 50k miles.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While at Subaru last week I asked for a quote on replacement OEM cans,

$350 each.

Ill live with the $300 3inch catback from Gimmick until I can find a suitable donor car without all the salt cancer.

xtea, you too? I should be up and running by Tuesday. I'm beyond stoked for the sweet smooth shifting of a spec b trans with 50k miles.

I will not be up a running by tuesday. I'm guessing its going to take me a couple months to get the swap in.

My car will set off alarms when going down a street.. in the car it really dosen't sound that loud.. I was thinking about replacing this ebay muffler that the last owner put on.. but I have to end up buying a new whole center resonator pipe because of the hack cut and wield so I can go back to stock size, probably was going to get the nameless exhaust.. Will it be less loud? Not sure.. right now I have a catted DP.

Invidia catted downpipe, resonated full Q300 exhaust. Added 2 more resonators (Invidia 3", removed from other subes to make them louder... Smdh) with the cat 3 resonators all in a row and mufflers, it sounds mean, still pops and gurgles, just low key. Good luck Xtea, I may be looking for a new car, truck backed into my legacy in the parking lot.. probably totalled lol

I'm thinking your going to want have a custom set up made using 2.5" piping and mufflers after the 3" mid pipe. Talk with an exhaust shop and see what they can do for you. May be magna-flow mufflers that will fit where the stock mufflers go.

The shop can weld on hanger rods so they mount in the stock location.

I had some 2.5" pipes bent up to knock-off mufflers and nice Dyna-Max tips years ago that matted to the stock mid pipe. Had a nice v8 rumble to it and not to loud at idle.

DSCN7684.thumb.JPG.349e6ef93cd9229c266cd2d54159c674.JPG

DSCN7690.thumb.JPG.b8c9093a4811cca1c5dfa6326bc1336c.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I went with a custom resonator in the midpipe. It added backpressure and solved some wastegate issues - ended up quieting down the TBE a lot.

You could put smaller half moons in there to maintain higher power levels or angle them more to the rear. Might be an expensive trial and error though.

rps20180705_210353.thumb.jpg.f1a7f26a8b1a401c2b78649abff0f31c.jpg

rps20180705_205918.thumb.jpg.3ba1b020d554fd7ef1b38ebe9a9a22e8.jpg

Archived