LegacyGT.com

How to make 400+whp quieter?

Find a consistent piece of road, do a couple before logs, swap exhausts do a couple after, graph in virtual dyno = profit.

I assumed I would need an entirely new tune to put stock cans on with a high flow cat. That means I’ll be dynoed. Also each tune is $600. So I’m probably just going to get tuned for 90 so I can road trip.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure it will matter that much, my motor didn't ask for more or less timing going from stock to free flowing exhaust.

As for 90 tune, if the tuner utilizes the stock logic still, the car will adjust IAM to suite for worse gas. This way your not leaving a bunch of power on the table when you do run 93.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I would go with 200-300 depending on price. 100 is pointless indeed, will still throw a CEL for those still with a rear o2.

On my turbo Inifiniti I used a 300 cell Thunderbolt 415300, doesn't smell like death, and helped reduce the rasp.

22 Ascent STOCK

I still say go with 2.5 or 3" piping with 2 vibrant resonators, a hi flow 200 cell cat, and finish it off with some nice vibrant mufflers. You can tell im partial lol.

Side note though, I really do love my stromung and ELH combo, quiet for a daily and sounds mean with the EWG.

I still say go with 2.5 or 3" piping with 2 vibrant resonators, a hi flow 200 cell cat, and finish it off with some nice vibrant mufflers. You can tell im partial lol.

Side note though, I really do love my stromung and ELH combo, quiet for a daily and sounds mean with the EWG.

He already has 2 vibrant resonators and it's not doing the trick. Vibrant might make nice stuff, but they are really not that different then any other glasspacks or oval mufflers design wise.

Also ELH is going to be louder then UEL, because UEL's spacing causes exhaust pulses to collide, which reduces the noise and high frequencies. I had ELH on my same exact setup and it was louder from pure dB perspective due to higher pitch. UEL sounds louder up closer, but that's because it's deeper, but it also doesn't travel as far out due to lower pitched noise.

22 Ascent STOCK

He already has 2 vibrant resonators and it's not doing the trick. Vibrant might make nice stuff, but they are really not that different then any other glasspacks or oval mufflers design wise.

Also ELH is going to be louder then UEL, because UEL's spacing causes exhaust pulses to collide, which reduces the noise and high frequencies. I had ELH on my same exact setup and it was louder from pure dB perspective due to higher pitch. UEL sounds louder up closer, but that's because it's deeper, but it also doesn't travel as far out due to lower pitched noise.

interesting point. at least to me in my car my uel setup was a good bit louder. i guess the sound of inefficiency is quieter based on dB, at least to my ears its not though. never realized he had 2 vibrants in there also. Maybe im wrong but resonators dont really quiet the exhaust down anyway, they just kill the drone. cat and mufflers quiet it down.

Ill see myself out, carry on lol

interesting point. at least to me in my car my uel setup was a good bit louder. i guess the sound of inefficiency is quieter based on dB, at least to my ears its not though. never realized he had 2 vibrants in there also. Maybe im wrong but resonators dont really quiet the exhaust down anyway, they just kill the drone. cat and mufflers quiet it down.

Ill see myself out, carry on lol

Interesting, I had the same experience. The Perrin EL headers are quieter across the full range. Enough so that I'm considering a HKS mid-pipe. My setup with Perrin ELH, Nvidia up/catted down, stock mid, and HKS Silent Hi-power is almost stock db levels right now.

No worries man, I didn't know his setup until he posted the potential FS thread last week.

As for sound traveling, you know how you can hear a civic from 5 miles away, but a muscle car will rattle your filings loose but only when it passes by? It's why there is such discrimination against imports vs domestics by the sound police, even though a civic will sound quieter up close at idle, at full throttle it can be heard for miles.

My car idled quieter with ELH but was a bit louder at full throttle. Now with UEL, my car sounds like a truck idling (causes my dishes to vibrate in the kitchen actually), but when I get on it it's actually very quiet.

Here is a fun comparison of my Infiniti, with the same exact exhaust on both. Only difference is turbo was added, turbo also works as a high frequencies destroyer, thus reducing the dB.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHd1o3bing]SR20VE vs SR20VE+T Exhaust Tone Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

22 Ascent STOCK

No worries man, I didn't know his setup until he posted the potential FS thread last week.

As for sound traveling, you know how you can hear a civic from 5 miles away, but a muscle car will rattle your filings loose but only when it passes by? It's why there is such discrimination against imports vs domestics by the sound police, even though a civic will sound quieter up close at idle, at full throttle it can be heard for miles.

My car idled quieter with ELH but was a bit louder at full throttle. Now with UEL, my car sounds like a truck idling (causes my dishes to vibrate in the kitchen actually), but when I get on it it's actually very quiet.

Here is a fun comparison of my Infiniti, with the same exact exhaust on both. Only difference is turbo was added, turbo also works as a high frequencies destroyer, thus reducing the dB.

I have a friend with an NX with sr20ve swap he would love to sell :)

5 speed, t-tops, black, 3" piping to vibrant muffler in pretty solid condition. hes looking to part with it. and i know you are a fan of sr20s...lmk if you are interested. theyre pretty rare to find with 90K miles on the chassis and no rust anywhere. but o god are they ugly lol.

I have basically everything stocklgt listed except avo mufflers instead of vibrant and no cat. 2 vibrant resonators even. I'm down to switch to vibrant if it will make that much difference, but I was under the understanding that the avos are pretty good.

I am going to put a high flow cat in. 200 cell its. Should help a little I bet. Then I'll try stock mufflers.

The cat is because I love our mother and we've been doing too much bullshit to the environment as it is. I don't know where my head was before. It was entirely pointed at myself and thats no fun but I just didn't realise it.

I think the cat will make a big difference.

I have used the following setups. This is with EL header and grimmsoeed catted downpipe.

Quietest to loudest:

Stock

Ebay 3" midpipe with vibrant ultraquiet and stock cans

Oem midpipe with custom y and magnaflow cans

Ebay mid with vibrant resonator and turboxs cans. (Current setup)

Ebay mid with vibrant resonator and 4" nameless "mufflers"

Ebay mid with just nameless 4" mufflers. That was loud!

I have a friend with an NX with sr20ve swap he would love to sell :)

5 speed, t-tops, black, 3" piping to vibrant muffler in pretty solid condition. hes looking to part with it. and i know you are a fan of sr20s...lmk if you are interested. theyre pretty rare to find with 90K miles on the chassis and no rust anywhere. but o god are they ugly lol.

I'm good, while I still have my turbo P11, I'm more interested in working on the Legacy nowdays. P11 is my track car, I have enough spare motors/parts that it would cost me nothing to rebuild it from ground up again :lol:.

I have basically everything stocklgt listed except avo mufflers instead of vibrant and no cat. 2 vibrant resonators even. I'm down to switch to vibrant if it will make that much difference, but I was under the understanding that the avos are pretty good.

Got a picture of the AVO's? As I mentioned before with mufflers it's all about volume. The more volume it has the more noise it will reduce.

I am going to put a high flow cat in. 200 cell its. Should help a little I bet. Then I'll try stock mufflers.

The cat is because I love our mother and we've been doing too much bullshit to the environment as it is. I don't know where my head was before. It was entirely pointed at myself and thats no fun but I just didn't realise it.

The cat definitely reduces a lot of the rasp and probably a few dB of noise. For comparison I had a Tomei ELH with 2.5" catted downpipe and stock exhaust, while I could hear it slightly it was very quiet. Local friend bought my ELH and the 2.5" downpipe for his OBXT, but gutted that cat. With 2012 wrx stock catback, his car was way raspier and louder (plus it stunk!).

22 Ascent STOCK

There was a time when I thought a cutout would be the coolest thing to have. Then I realized the amount of power lost on a properly designed quiet setup so small that the gain per hp of the cutout is non existent.

But if your wanting to be loud for smiles per hour reasons, by all means.

22 Ascent STOCK

There was a time when I thought a cutout would be the coolest thing to have. Then I realized the amount of power lost on a properly designed quiet setup so small that the gain per hp of the cutout is non existent.

I am where you are at. But the valve might be the cheapest option. Stays closed under 7 psi which I can drive under without problem. Won't require a new tune either. And I can put a cat in probably still after the valve.

My current tunes are for 24 and 26 psi of e85. I find it hard to believe I won't lose more then 50hp with a high flow cat and stock mufflers. Definitely will need a new tune for it too.

ah, cutouts on a vq35. I remember those days...that would be about 12 years ago now...

I am where you are at. But the valve might be the cheapest option. Stays closed under 7 psi which I can drive under without problem. Won't require a new tune either. And I can put a cat in probably still after the valve.

My current tunes are for 24 and 26 psi of e85. I find it hard to believe I won't lose more then 50hp with a high flow cat and stock mufflers. Definitely will need a new tune for it too.

I would be curious to see the difference, though I will say the stock mufflers are going to be the most restrictive point (the stock stock piping doesn't look that bad). Stock mufflers are also have fairly low internal volume, so that's why they rely on more restrictive nature to quiet them down.

As for the tune it self:

The main thing I saw post exhaust swap, was my engine load (grams/rev) did go up a little (~.10), but my MAF was in the middle of dying so I don't know how reliable that measurement is. The danger might be that your engine load will go down due to back pressure, which means more ignition timing would be ran which is bad with more heat & backpressure.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 2 months later...

bump, did you ever do your exhaust over xtea?

Getting to a point where even my stromungs are too loud. EWG doesn't help though :)

Has anyone found a way to quiet the ewg? maybe plumb it back through the exahust??

Getting to a point where even my stromungs are too loud. EWG doesn't help though :)

Has anyone found a way to quiet the ewg? maybe plumb it back through the exahust??

Bermo did that, and has Tomei uel, catted dp, and I think Vibrant. I'll try to get him to chime in.

I'm looking at 400whp as well, so I've been following this closely

John Hancock

Has anyone found a way to quiet the ewg? maybe plumb it back through the downpipe?? I know they make mufflers too

Recirculating back into the downtube is the quietest solution. That’s originally what I was planning but the EWG noise is too intoxicating.

Recirculating back into the downtube is the quietest solution. That’s originally what I was planning but the EWG noise is too intoxicating.

Im kinda over it tbh. sounds cool at first but its a magnet for unwanted attention. Ill be well over 450 once I go E85, prob over 500.

Archived