LegacyGT.com

Rear Cross Traffic intermittent failure...

Current and ongoing problem, not sure if related to winter and snow/ice accumulation, or ?

No visible bumper or fender damage, but not impossible that something bumped the car and jarred a sensor...

The problem happened just after a long scenic drive in a snow/ice storm...

When in reverse, the Rear Cross Traffic system stopped working, completely, left side indicator light completely unlit in the head unit, dash warning 'RAB disabled' and a very annoying loud continual warning tone whenever backing up.

Rear Automatic braking light, and indicator on the right side of the head unit, working as normal.

This condition lasted several days until Friday, then it woke up and started working again.

Too damn cold now for me to investigate further, I will see if the problem reoccurs.

If not, I suspect some ice built up near one of the sensors and call it a day...I hate my dealer too much to bring it in yet, that and it has worked for the last two days so maybe it self-corrected...

Like you said, most likely the winter. Ice buildup or too cold to operate maybe?

I came across a similar issue where it would detect something when it was actually just the exhaust from my car. It wasn’t to the point where it stopped the vehicle but I got the amber warning lights on the back up camera.

Also if your car is not out of warranty let a different dealer that may be further check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a similar occurrence. When I would back up, RAB was off and the alarm was constant until I shifted into drive from exiting driveway. This was also after some pretty hefty snow and then single digit days. My car was not fully defrosting even in a heated garage. This happened for 2-3 days then all = fine. This coinincided with the temp rising and that back bumper clearing a bit. I would think radar would go right through ice but perhaps ice+dirt+cold +? = a temporary issue. I got a wash in yesterday and like I mentioned, all has been fine for a few days now. I don't think it's a dealer issue, just a weather issue?

good to know others have had similar issues with RAB.

Car is leased and fully under warranty and this is the very first intermittent/prolonged failure of any sensor/system I have experienced. I will wait and see when it warms up some more if it was just a snow/ice/cold issue. Like I said, I would bring it to the dealer but I am afraid they pull the bumper, blame it on the car getting wacked in a parking lot, and charge me a lot of money for a new sensor and testing etc instead of testing/fixing under warranty.

When I bought the car I told SOA I didn't want to deal with my dealer any more, so if it needs warranty I have to start with SOA and make sure I can bring it across town to the other Subaru dealer, which is just another layer of hassle.

I don't have a factory manual but am guessing the RAB sensors are not tied into the bumper buttons that are used for auto reverse braking, but instead may be lower and to the sides (on the inside) of the bumper.

This morning, backing out of garage the tone was off, no warning light, but it took a few minutes before the Head Unit display RAB woke up (it was completely darked out initially).

I can handle this if it only happens very intermittently in bad weather. Fortunately, I have a great dealer so I could pose a question and or get it checked if need be. Also, I have to remind myself; I just backed out like I did for 40 years. That is looking 100% out my rear window and side mirrors vs a camera. Worst part was the damn alarm. And being a Holiday, there were cars parked everywhere on the street.

This is more than likely because of road salt spray covering the sensors. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. After a car wash, it all worked good as new again. Don’t over think the issue. If a car wash doesn’t fix the issue, then start thinking maybe a bad sensor.

But because you mentioned it was after a long drive, I’m fairly confident it’s just from shit covering the sensors. Wash it and let us know.

I can handle this if it only happens very intermittently in bad weather. Fortunately, I have a great dealer so I could pose a question and or get it checked if need be. Also, I have to remind myself; I just backed out like I did for 40 years. That is looking 100% out my rear window and side mirrors vs a camera. Worst part was the damn alarm. And being a Holiday, there were cars parked everywhere on the street.

Does the alarm sound like the mechanic crunching sound I noticed in a rental Chrysler Pacifica a few months ago? It sounded like the brakes were frozen. Lol. But it did save me. “Oh shit, there’s a car illegally parked right behind me.”

This is more than likely because of road salt spray covering the sensors. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. After a car wash, it all worked good as new again. Don’t over think the issue. If a car wash doesn’t fix the issue, then start thinking maybe a bad sensor.

But because you mentioned it was after a long drive, I’m fairly confident it’s just from shit covering the sensors. Wash it and let us know.

Sorry Jsmith but salt spray cannot cover the sensors. The sensors are BEHIND the right and left corners of the bumper and operate off RADAR so salt will not effect them. Please don't confuse the RCTA sensors with the Ultrasonic bumper sensors...two totally different things.

Please don't confuse the RCTA sensors with the Ultrasonic bumper sensors...two totally different things.

Yep ... two totally independent systems, in fact. And both are independent of EyeSight, even though they all serve similar functions.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Sorry Jsmith but salt spray cannot cover the sensors. The sensors are BEHIND the right and left corners of the bumper and operate off RADAR so salt will not effect them. Please don't confuse the RCTA sensors with the Ultrasonic bumper sensors...two totally different things.

Im aware of their location and agree they are independent systems.

I can say for certain that salt can affect the RCTA sensors. Nothing personal, but you being in Jacksonville I can’t imagine you have had wet salt mist covering you Legacy like we do up in the Northeast. I have and it can cake on thick. I assure that it does affect the system.

I’m not saying that this is definitely the OP’s problem and solution, nor did I say that in my original post. Im just offering my opinion based upon my experience.

Im aware of their location and agree they are independent systems.

I can say for certain that salt can affect the RCTA sensors. Nothing personal, but you being in Jacksonville I can’t imagine you have had wet salt mist covering you Legacy like we do up in the Northeast. I have and it can cake on thick. I assure that it does affect the system.

I’m not saying that this is definitely the OP’s problem and solution, nor did I say that in my original post. Im just offering my opinion based upon my experience.

I have lived in the NE all my life until 2 years ago. My Legacy was a "snow" car and was born and raised in the nasty NE weather. Been through the snow "thing" waaaay too many times. All I am saying is that RCTA sensors are NOT impacted by salt or dirt as they run off RADAR technology. The ultrasonics are another story.....

I have lived in the NE all my life until 2 years ago. My Legacy was a "snow" car and was born and raised in the nasty NE weather. Been through the snow "thing" waaaay too many times. All I am saying is that RCTA sensors are NOT impacted by salt or dirt as they run off RADAR technology. The ultrasonics are another story.....

I stand corrected. Excuse me for making that assumption. All I can say is that my experience is different.

My sensors do get interrupted by the caked on salt. I lose RCTA & blind spot monitoring when this happens. I’m not talking about a winter’s worth of salt either, very rarely do I go more than 7-10 days without washing my car. As soon as I wash my car, all systems return to their normal operation.

Per the owner's manual - snow, ice, mud, etc... accumulation on the bumper surface around the location of the radar will interfere with the BSD/RCTA system.

That is correct...anything that has density associated with it but light salt and "dirt" will not effect the radar sensors. I have never seen "caked on salt" but I have seen caked on snow.

That is correct...anything that has density associated with it but light salt and "dirt" will not effect the radar sensors. I have never seen "caked on salt" but I have seen caked on snow.

Road salt and brine stuff that gets sprayed on the road surfaces are highly corrosive and if it forms a thick enough layer on the bumper it could or could not interfere with the sensors. Because you never experienced this problem doesn't mean it could never happen. Jsmith is saying it does happen for him.

@leolfds...reread my post...I am not arguing that it cannot happen...I stated above that "LIGHT" salt and dirt should have no effect. Caked on "stuff" is another story.

I did read your posts Securityguy and will not vs. should not have different meanings to me. My truck has BSD/RCTA system and it says on the owner's manual that snow, ice and even dirt and heavy rain or other types of osbstructions could interfere with the system. Could light road salt be considered an obstruction? My truck is covered in heavy salt now from yesterday's snow storm and driving around today hasn't given me any issues, but everyone is different. The road salt is driving me nuts though and I can't wait to get it washed. :spin: I am actually kinda jelly you live in Florida and don't have to deal with keeping salt off your car.

I'll wash the car when it is no longer sub zero temps, which will be midweek here. Right now I can see frozen everything just after it gets sprayed...

This is the second winter with the car, nothing like this occurred last winter, but maybe the slush/icy mix coated the bumper just right...

I should note it has been mostly working now, no dash disable warning light, no loud annoying sound when the car is put in reverse, however the Head Unit light for RAB in the lower left corner is still occasionally blacked out, until it wakes up and relights.

I have seen caked on salt.... and my eyesight is a little funky right now, and my car is filthy. Rear warning at these temps -28c. The exhaust seems confuses the sensors. Same as any frost on the windshield causes the eyesight to switch off.

Archived