LegacyGT.com

Back in the Stable

Just brought home my wife's 2018 Legacy i4 Limited in black/black eyesight remote start. Coming out of a 2012 Legacy and we have a 2015 Outback in the stable.

First impression is the marketing garble about steering/ride/noise enhancement might actually be true compared with 2015... steering definitely more precise and refined, as well as throttle tip-in. Drove back in slippery snow and did well even with the stocks (slightly scrubbed at 130 miles), snows go on next week.

The head unit hasn't misbehaved yet, is more responsive for sure, and TomTom is an upgrade. The exterior tweaks are more pronounced in person than in photos, but still subtle. Wife will love the approach light in the mirror.

Came with WeatherTech floor liners (as a window sticker option), but they seem to not be full WeatherTechs, but rather a cheaped out version with lower sides and too many ways for slush to escape... I think I need to replace these with real liners.

At any rate, very pleased with the purchase, glad to be in a mid model year with solid reliability despite head unit, and actually happy that these still don't have DI engines (a whole nother conversation).

Thanks for your reply. They are WeatherTech, Subaru equips these in New England (I also got WeatherTechs with a new Honda).... they have the WeatherTech logo on them, but having owned 5-6 real WeatherTech systems, can say that these are cheaped out like all other OEM ordered mats... the rear liner is tolerable but still not great, so only replacing fronts. At $198, lot of profit in there.

http://www.gooley.net/images/WindowSticker2.jpg

Looking at the pics on weathertech's website it doesn't look like the sides go up very high

http://www.weathertech.com/subaru/2018/legacy/floorliner-digitalfit/

How high would you like them to go??? I have them and they are plenty high so the pics may be deceiving. I am unaware of any other mats going any higher than the WT.

Will take a photo when i get a chance... the fronts don't look as high as the one's on the WT site... but it is that lower left corner of the driver's mat (pictured on WT site) that has already had leak over in the snow. The MaxLiners cover those edges better.

http://assets.weathertech.com/assets/1/19/713x535/447081_447082.jpg

Just brought home my wife's 2018 Legacy i4 Limited in black/black eyesight remote start. Coming out of a 2012 Legacy and we have a 2015 Outback in the stable.

First impression is the marketing garble about steering/ride/noise enhancement might actually be true compared with 2015... steering definitely more precise and refined, as well as throttle tip-in. Drove back in slippery snow and did well even with the stocks (slightly scrubbed at 130 miles), snows go on next week.

The head unit hasn't misbehaved yet, is more responsive for sure, and TomTom is an upgrade. The exterior tweaks are more pronounced in person than in photos, but still subtle. Wife will love the approach light in the mirror.

Came with WeatherTech floor liners (as a window sticker option), but they seem to not be full WeatherTechs, but rather a cheaped out version with lower sides and too many ways for slush to escape... I think I need to replace these with real liners.

At any rate, very pleased with the purchase, glad to be in a mid model year with solid reliability despite head unit, and actually happy that these still don't have DI engines (a whole nother conversation).

Congrats on the new bundle of joy. You have Subie experience and I have none although my associate has owned 3 including a current Crosstrek (also has a Tesla P90D his wife drives). He is totally clueless about cars and other than repair info. I could glean more information by peeing on a spark plug than asking him about driving dynamics.

I've owned a ton of cars and looking to get my first Subie this summer when my S60 lease is up.

I'll be buying an Eyesight '18 Premium or Limited 2.5 or a '16/17 used 3.6.

Any recommendations on 2.5 vs 3.6. I read that the 2.5 is slow but the 3.6 guzzles gas and ain't all that fast especially compared to other V6 and Turbo 4s. I drove a '15 2.5 and it seemed adequate. I plan to do an overnight test drive before dropping $27K (before discounts). I will also drive a 3.6 but leaning towards the 2.5 mainly because of MPG. Fuelly lists the 3.6 average at 22 and the 2.5 at 25/26. My '13 Accord is at 28 which is accurate. I do a little better living in a rural area.

Any concerns buying a used 1-2 year old Subie with under 25K miles in general. Still under warranty as long as the previous owner didn't fail to service it. Certified is an option to eliminate that risk.

Finally, I hear the cylinder liners (or lack thereof) make some prone to consume a lot of oil. My associate never had that issue but got rid of his first Outback at about 100K with leaking engine seals.

The 2.5 is adequate for 99% of the drivers of a Legacy, the 3.6 is definitely a fun ride if you don't mind the expense of fuel, a little more oil at maintenance time, and two more plugs to change every couple of years.

If you were going for an Outback I would suggest the 3.6 because of the extra weight. I personally am planning for the Leg 3.6.

Also, these cars are Boxer engines, horizontally opposed. The OP said it was an inline 4 (i4), this is not accurate.

Subarus seem to be very well built so I'd think nothing of a slightly/lightly used model with CPO status and the extended warranty for peace of mind.

But there have been a lot of really nice tech changes in the last couple of years so I am going to buy new.

Kings...

I would do some research on some threads here ref. mpg. I get 27 mpg (similar to your Accord) on my 3.6 and I don't think that fits the description "guzzles gas". I think the decision between the 4 and 6 cyl is personal based on what you want the car to do and/or expected performance. The 4cyl up here (5200 ft) especially in mountain driving is a bit anemic in my opinion so I went 3.6 for a few reasons. I agree with Pilot- a couple year old CPO car would be "as good as new". Good luck with the purchase!

I've owned a ton of cars and looking to get my first Subie this summer when my S60 lease is up.

I'll be buying an Eyesight '18 Premium or Limited 2.5 or a '16/17 used 3.6.

Any recommendations on 2.5 vs 3.6. I read that the 2.5 is slow but the 3.6 guzzles gas

At the time when I purchased my vehicle I drove both the 2.5 and the 3.6. For me personally it was a no brainer .... to each his own, but the difference was chalk and cheese. .... I chose the 3.6lt. You will find several threads on the forum regarding this "gas guzzler" nonsense. It all depends on what you are comparing it with, and what you are prepared to give up in ride comfort, and the extra power when needed, just for the sake of saving a few bucks on fuel. I do mostly highway driving and I average between 30-32mpg in my 3.6lt. But that is just a bonus .... I bought mine (and with great respect to owners of the the 2.5) because for me, it was a more comfortable, better optioned ride.

The 2.5 is adequate for 99% of the drivers of a Legacy, the 3.6 is definitely a fun ride if you don't mind the expense of fuel, a little more oil at maintenance time, and two more plugs to change every couple of years.

If you were going for an Outback I would suggest the 3.6 because of the extra weight. I personally am planning for the Leg 3.6.

Also, these cars are Boxer engines, horizontally opposed. The OP said it was an inline 4 (i4), this is not accurate.

Subarus seem to be very well built so I'd think nothing of a slightly/lightly used model with CPO status and the extended warranty for peace of mind.

But there have been a lot of really nice tech changes in the last couple of years so I am going to buy new.

Found a new '17 Eyesight/Nav 3.6 for $24.5K-a steal. Too bad it's not June. Like Paul Masson wine, no car before it's time (unless it's a '69 Superbird Hemi at 10 cents on the dollar). I can get an '18 Premium 2.5 Eyesight for $24,302 if I'm willing to go to MA. My nearest in state dealer with advertised discounts is 78 miles away has it for $25,088 and I'm sure they'll match. I fully expect many hundreds lower by June. Lease is actually up July 28 and we'll be getting close to model year end discounts as '19s are ramping up. 16/17 3.6 will also be a lot less. figure on $200 a month depreciation based on year over year values on Edmunds TMV.

Kings...

I would do some research on some threads here ref. mpg. I get 27 mpg (similar to your Accord) on my 3.6 and I don't think that fits the description "guzzles gas". I think the decision between the 4 and 6 cyl is personal based on what you want the car to do and/or expected performance. The 4cyl up here (5200 ft) especially in mountain driving is a bit anemic in my opinion so I went 3.6 for a few reasons. I agree with Pilot- a couple year old CPO car would be "as good as new". Good luck with the purchase!

Thanks, will do the search. I've gotten used to the power of the 2.0T in the S60 and disdain the putt putt nature of the 4 cyl Accord in the city (very good freeway performance)

At the time when I purchased my vehicle I drove both the 2.5 and the 3.6. For me personally it was a no brainer .... to each his own, but the difference was chalk and cheese. .... I chose the 3.6lt. You will find several threads on the forum regarding this "gas guzzler" nonsense. It all depends on what you are comparing it with, and what you are prepared to give up in ride comfort, and the extra power when needed, just for the sake of saving a few bucks on fuel. I do mostly highway driving and I average between 30-32mpg in my 3.6lt. But that is just a bonus .... I bought mine (and with great respect to owners of the the 2.5) because for me, it was a more comfortable, better optioned ride.

I think the 3.6 gets Xenons too. 16/17 misses Android and Apple which I've been living without for 56 years so it's cool not having it. Eyesight with LKAS is a must.

Thanks for ALL of the replies guys, this really helps. Good to hear from 3.6 people. There are some good 3.6 deals out there

As an FYI, I test drove an SVX 20+ years ago and was blown away by it. A memorable test drive and a unique car. Other notable test drives without purchase include a '72 Citroen SM, '88 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, and '92 968 (3.0 non turbo 4 cyl which was incredible).

Was in the market a long time and can attest to the fact that Legacy were not moving, sales numbers back this up (-23% for month and year)... you can get as good a deal as you are willing to be patient for right now... and 0% 63/mo. and probs a lease of equal value. What state are you in?

Was in the market a long time and can attest to the fact that Legacy were not moving, sales numbers back this up (-23% for month and year)... you can get as good a deal as you are willing to be patient for right now... and 0% 63/mo. and probs a lease of equal value. What state are you in?

I would agree 100%. I got a heck of deal this last summer due to 18s on the way and the fact that here in Colorado "everyone buys an Outback or WRX" as I was told. Very little discount on those but we started at 5K off and it got better from there as the week went on. It's a great car, but plenty of competition. They only had two on the lot. Dozens of WRX,STi, Outbacks (even with lift kits!)

Archived