LegacyGT.com

New GT owner with some questions

So i purchased an 08 gt over a month ago and im loving the car. only thing is there are some minor questions and concerns i do have about the car that i cant seem to find any info for.

1: biggest concern is ive got an oil leak and i think it might be the turbo seals going but im also seeing droplets on the ground on the front of the engine. Now i havent havd a chance to actually look in the day for where it might be coming from but i was wondering if there were any common places to check

2: both rear doors donot lock or unlock using the power locks. the windows donot roll down using the rear window switches but works with the drivers door switch. not sure if its a power issue or a BCM but was wondering if someone had potentially ran into this

3: the dreaded GPS system..... ive done some reading on the gps and i see alot of faults and failures and mine is definitely one of them.after making sure the connections in the back were not loose i got it so it will boot and work for about a minute only in freezing weather, then goes into a reboot loop. im pretty good with electronic repairs and i was wondering if someone may have pulled one of these apart and found out what is dieing internally

4: the glovebox is out of alignment so its sagging to one side. is there an adjustment on these thats hidden someplace? i dont want to take apart the whole dash just to find that there isnt.

5: both my fog light lenses are shattered due to wonderful road debris. are there any other cars that use the same housings that i might be able to get them from?

i know its a huge wall of text but any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

Congratulations!

The best way to search this forum is by doing a google search and including site:legacygt.com as a search term.

1. I believe the valve cover gaskets are very common sources of oil leaks on these cars. Do check around the turbo though too.

2. If the rear power windows work from the drivers door but not from the rear doors, your child power window lock (I'm honestly not sure what it's actually called) is probably on. There's a button on the drivers door on many cars (ours too I think) that you can press to disable power window controls in the back if you need to so kids can't mess with it.

Not sure about the locks though.

3. I don't have GPS. Just an empty cubby...

4. My glovebox sags a little bit too. Time takes its toll.

5. My fog light lenses are broken too. I'm not sure about other foglights fitting in there. You might be on your own there. I haven't really seen people on here posting about doing that. There are some aftermarket options I think though. I thought about just slapping some clear packaging tape on there honestly LOL. I actually ended up ordering Morimoto LED foglights for the car. I haven't installed them yet. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it or else I would report my satisfaction with them.

So, I have a couple other recommendations too based on what I've learned here in the last year since I've had my GT.

1. Check your oil regularly. It's normal to lose some so expect it and don't let it run low.

2. Check the shaft play on your turbo. When the turbo fails on these it tends to send metal bits into the oil and the oil carries the metal throughout the engine. What ends up happening is a failed turbo, failed engine, and at that point the car is approximately totaled.

On the oil leak issue, Check the valve covers, oil drain tube/hose and the oil cooler where the oil filter is. My car has a dribble every couple days from the cooler area. I don't know if its the cooler failing or if the seals or hoses are rotted.

Congratulations!

The best way to search this forum is by doing a google search and including site:legacygt.com as a search term.

1. I believe the valve cover gaskets are very common sources of oil leaks on these cars. Do check around the turbo though too.

2. If the rear power windows work from the drivers door but not from the rear doors, your child power window lock (I'm honestly not sure what it's actually called) is probably on. There's a button on the drivers door on many cars (ours too I think) that you can press to disable power window controls in the back if you need to so kids can't mess with it.

Not sure about the locks though.

3. I don't have GPS. Just an empty cubby...

4. My glovebox sags a little bit too. Time takes its toll.

5. My fog light lenses are broken too. I'm not sure about other foglights fitting in there. You might be on your own there. I haven't really seen people on here posting about doing that. There are some aftermarket options I think though. I thought about just slapping some clear packaging tape on there honestly LOL. I actually ended up ordering Morimoto LED foglights for the car. I haven't installed them yet. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it or else I would report my satisfaction with them.

So, I have a couple other recommendations too based on what I've learned here in the last year since I've had my GT.

1. Check your oil regularly. It's normal to lose some so expect it and don't let it run low.

2. Check the shaft play on your turbo. When the turbo fails on these it tends to send metal bits into the oil and the oil carries the metal throughout the engine. What ends up happening is a failed turbo, failed engine, and at that point the car is approximately totaled.

Thanks for the info. I already tried the window locks just to make sure and i wasnt talking about aftermarket foglights just any other subies with similar housings. I know GM likes to do parts bin parts but im new to the subaru brand so i dont know what swaps to different cars. Ill check the turbo shaft and see if there is any play in it just in case

I know GM likes to do parts bin parts but im new to the subaru brand so i dont know what swaps to different cars.

Subarus have a lot of interchangeable parts too, especially the older models, so it's worth asking (or googling) but I don't know that any others have the same (size) fogs.

Also make sure your timing belt has been done! :)

You sir, have just become my best friend cause this is going to help with alot of maintenance for this

Timing belt was done at 110k miles and i just hit 130k miles (i drove to florida and back to NY the day after i got it with minimal problems). If i need to buy brand new fogs ill do it but 160 is a bit steep for both and if i can find them at the local yards i can get them for like 20 bucks

The fog lights on my 05 GT look identical to the fogs on my 07 Impreza. Can not confirm if they changed them in 08 though.

they did change in 2008 with the facelift. I think the 2008/09 legacy fogs are the same as the wrx fogs, housings are unique though.

thanks for that link amm203. that will definitely be a good upgrade especially in snow country lol

well ive been working on rebuilding my nav system. come to find out i might have figured something out with it. for the people who have the issues where the screen becomes distorted and flickers the cause is the top most board being damaged. not sure where exactly but its a cool findings

Damn I didn't realize that those xb's were a direct fit. Nice option. I'm almost done my upgrade now with ford projector fogs. At least this way I get a nice yellow output I wouldn't have got from the leds. I think we need a lighting upgrade thread.

Damn I didn't realize that those xb's were a direct fit. Nice option. I'm almost done my upgrade now with ford projector fogs. At least this way I get a nice yellow output I wouldn't have got from the leds. I think we need a lighting upgrade thread.
I wouldn't mind if you started one or possibly revived?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If there was a thread, the parts and PhotoBucket pics are most likely long gone. Would also be down for upgraded fogs. Being spoiled with my OEM multiple LED fogs on my Accord I'm sure the OEM LGT fogs are gonna feel like they don't do anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived