LegacyGT.com

How many miles are too little?

bikerdrumr

Hi everyone,

I just sold my '09 Mustang GT after 9 years of solid daily driver use. The car I am looking at now is a '05-'07 Legacy 2.5i wagon. I have ALWAYS loved that generation and body style.

I found a non-GT '07 that only has 64k miles. It's a 1 owner car that seems to average less than 6k miles a year. It's also a New England car. Anyone believe that's TOO little amount of miles? Is it perfect? It's a clean car and I'd be willing to drive the 300 miles to go up and get it.

I sincerely appreciate any expert advice you wonderful owners could give me. Thanks!!

Bikerdrumr

I wouldn’t say there’s a thing as too little miles as long as the car doesn’t sit for more than a few weeks without getting started at all. The best advice is to get a compression and leak down rear and a general inspection at a reputable shop before buying anything.

Personally I wouldn't think 64K as such a low mileage to be concerned about. I purchased a 2009 with 56K miles on it this past January. Now has 71K and runs great. Only thing I've done is updated the stereo. Two new tires, replaced power steering belt, new battery(damn parking light switch), New hood latch and oil change. All low price items with the battery being the most expensive. All items replaced myself except mounting the tires.

Get the car checked out and have fun if the price is right for you.

Thanks! The dealer is really not budging on price and I just don't think an '07 non-GT with 64k on the clock should be going for $8600. I like it, it's clean and has low miles, but that's a high price.

Unless someone really wants to talk me into it, I think I'm out.

As long as it driven annually it will be fine. I would be concerned if someone drove it for 60k miles and then let it sit for 4 years. My toy vehicle has 57k miles and is 26 years old, so I am average a little over 2k miles. It sits 6 months every year. The only time I had an issue from sitting was when it sat for 3 years.

For that price you can get into a much newer 2.5i, but as far as the mileage I would assume it was garaged for a while each year or the owners just didn't drive much. Neither would deter me as long as the test drive went well and the maintenance was consistent.

The price is a little high. Make sure the spark plugs were changed at 60,000, the timing belt is do at 10 years.

After all its only a 2.5i, there were no GT wagon's in 07.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe the HG issues are tied to all the EJ series engines, right? EZ has been fine and the FB/FA are also no factor as they don't have coolant passages, right @YeuEmMaiMai

All 2.5i's pre 2010's because they had paper head gaskets. EJ's with MLS head gaskets don't seem to have issues (that's any turbo EJ, or 2010+ EJ253's)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I didn’t know that 2010-12 EJ253 has MLS headgaskets. Good to know.

Yessir! It's one of the main reasons I bought a 2010+ Outback, and why 2.5i was sufficient enough. Not having to worry about headgaskets is nice.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived