LegacyGT.com

Overheating! I’m clueless, please help.

Ok so here we go.

I got a phone call today from my mother in law, saying her car was overheating.

Just two days ago I checked her antifreeze and found that it looked like mud caked with rust. I told her it had to be flushed immediately, but she doesn’t take action until the damage is already done.

Anyhow, back to the problem. She tries to drive the car home and ends up broken down about 7 miles from Home. This is when she calls me.

I show up and a friendly passerby is filling her up with antifreeze, but her battery was dead from cranking on it so much. I gave her a jump and it started up and I was following her home. We made it about 4 miles before it started to overheat again and she pulled off to let it cool.

I look under the car and antifreeze is dripping from the block somewhere and there is a gargling sound. We begin to fill the radiator with distilled water and the water starts pouring from around the heads. This is with the engine off.

I laid under the car and watched the water pour from the head area. I kept wiping it away and it would restart right where the head meets the block.

Fairly certain it was a blown head gasket, we decided just to get it home. This were it gets strange.

The rest of the way home the car stayed nice and cool and I put it on our homemade rack, and I couldn’t find a single leak. We dumped in more water and absolutely no leak was found, not even with the car running.

I looked at the overflow tank, which was full and the water is very thick and frothy on top. This frothy stuff also built up on the bottom of the lower radiator hose. Also the bottom radiator hose was collapsed slightly.

What happed, why could we not duplicate the leak? I am 100% certain about where the leak was coming from, the entire bottom of the left hand side was covered in antifreeze.

I removed the small timing cover to look at the water bump and it was completely dry. Any help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, best guess given the details you provided is that it is, in fact, a blown head gasket. it's likely that when the oil and coolant emulsified, some chunks of whatever were in the oil filled the gap where the water was leaking out. I would start with a compression check and see where that leads.

what is the year and model of the car in question?

Have the HG's replaced along with some of the hoses and keep driving it. Any local repair shop can do the work. It's not like this is the first one of these they've seen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Alright fellas, I did a flush this morning and went for a drive.

The car is still getting hot. It reaches about 3/4 on the gauge, but only under high load, going up hill and such. Other than that it’s staying right it the middle. The heat works fine too. But still no leaks? I don’t wanna move further until I’ certain of the issue.

So based on your symptoms it does sound like a head gasket. Although if your coolant has been nasty you could have an air pocket that doesn't want to bleed behind the thermostat due to a corroded or sludged air bleed hole (sadly i would try this but don't expect magic, you may get lucky). You could start by removing the T-stat and snipping the air bleed valve (Little dingle berry) off of it and putting that back in. The air bleed hole should either be at the top or front of the engine depending on if your T-stat flange is vertical or horizontal. Fill it with coolant again and go test drive, i would do an easy one first and allow it to cool, then make sure your coolant is full before really giving it the beans. Personally it wouldn't surprise me about head gaskets. Coolant is disappearing and you don't see it. So if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

Hope this helps.

Preventative maintenance is the best maintenance :lol:

Here we go again guys, I did another flush but better this time, and the leak is back. It is pouring from the head area, but I can’t tell for sure. Here is a video, I hope it helps a little.

In one of your posts from last year you said that the color of the coolant color was similar to engine oil.. it sounds like you replaced the radiator and coolant at some point after that, after replacing the PS pump.

You also mentioned last year that the engine probably has close to 300k

You mention that now the antifreeze looks like mud/rust..

I agree that it could be the water pump gasket, but it really sounds like this car has a HG issue.

Wow I forgot all about that, I guess the coolant has been brown longer than I remember. Indeed the rad was replaced after ps pump. I’m really not sure what to think? The car has other issues as well as this one. We are currently at a stand still, she won’t get rid of it, but she doesn’t want to put this much money into it. Time will tell I suppose.

Brown and sludgy means that the headgasket is bad too. That wouldn't happen with just a bad water pump. Milkshake happens when motor oil and coolant meet.

If you don't have milkshake then at the very least you're in for a new water pump, which involves removing the timing belt. Most shops would charge $800< for that job including the new pump and belt (might as well).

Headgaskets requires pulling the motor on 4th gens, I'm not sure about older Legacies.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Brown and sludgy means that the headgasket is bad too. That wouldn't happen with just a bad water pump. Milkshake happens when motor oil and coolant meet.

If you don't have milkshake then at the very least you're in for a new water pump, which involves removing the timing belt. Most shops would charge $800< for that job including the new pump and belt (might as well).

Headgaskets requires pulling the motor on 4th gens, I'm not sure about older Legacies.

I have indeed seen what coolant and oil looks like mixed. However, the frothy looking stuff was in the overflow tank not on the dipstick. The oil itself looked fine. We are going to try replacing the water pump and see where that gets it, we do not take our cars to a garage for servicing, I do all of the work myself, I turn to you guys when I get stumped. Our local auto zone wants $300 for the timing belt, components, and water pump, but I’m thinking about ordering the parts from rock auto. I can get the timing kit, thermostat, and o2 sensor (which it also needs) for around $250

You can replace the water pump...but I still say you have a bad HG.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

There's the service manual if you need it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Is this the car that has 300K on the current engine? If so, the engine is almost ready for the pasture.

Actual mileage is really unknown. The engine was replaced at 90,000 miles and we were told by an employee at the junkyard that this engine had over 200k when pulled. The body now has 250,000 miles, so the engine could potentially have around 360,000 miles on it, but I have no clue.

The engine was in the car when she bought it and we consulted an employee of the junkyard later.

She has put nearly 40k on this thing in just over a year, I believe in that 40k the oil has been changed once. It is long overdue and she said she’s not buying the oil. Like I said, she takes action after the damage is done.

How hot did the car get? I would'nt get the tstat or o2 sensor until you know its not head gaskets. Unless you're going to do them too if needed.

Yes if it needs the head gaskets they will be next. We are going to try the water pump first though.

Actual mileage is really unknown...the engine could potentially have around 360,000 miles on it, but I have no clue...She has put nearly 40k on this thing in just over a year, I believe in that 40k the oil has been changed once...
Wow, it's a miracle the motor will run at all! I guess I have been wasting money with all my 3750 mile oil changes. :)

Wow, it's a miracle the motor will run at all! I guess I have been wasting money with all my 3750 mile oil changes. :)

Lol I know right, I try not to think about it because it just makes me angry thinking about it lol. I change mine every 3k with synthetic blend. It just kills me to see what was a really nice car being treated so poorly, then when stuff messes up I have to fix it.

Lol I know right, I try not to think about it because it just makes me angry thinking about it lol. I change mine every 3k with synthetic blend. It just kills to see what was a really nice car being treated so poorly, then when stuff messes up I have to fix it.

When people come to me for help and then ignore my advice I stop helping them. My rational is if you're unwilling to listen to me then why are you coming to me for help? It's cut down on my level of frustration.

Archived