LegacyGT.com

Overheating! I’m clueless, please help.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When people come to me for help and then ignore my advice I stop helping them. My rational is if you're unwilling to listen to me then why are you coming to me for help? It's cut down on my level of frustration.

I understand that, and I have told my wife so many times that I am done working on her mother’s car because she’s just going to trash it anyway. However, it always just makes my wife mad and I do it anyway.

Anyhow, I got to work on this thing today and was making good progress, but while installing the new tensioner something went wrong. I know I didn’t cross thread the bolt, and I don’t think I overtightened it. I threaded the bolt in easily by hand and tried to torque it to 20 ft-lb. it would not tighten and I pulled it back out and the threads came out with it. The threads were very brittle. I’m just going to heli coil it, I already have the kit.

The old water pump was very crusty inside, but there seemed to be no issue with it working, there was no play as all.

Make sure there is no tension on the belt when removing the tensioner. The bracket that the tensioner screws into is replaceable as well, he shows how to replace it at 6:30

I've never used a helicoil kit before, but I just wanted to mention that because the last thing you want is for that tensioner bolt to come out.

*Looks like msrp on that tensioner bracket is $35

You can get a hydrocarbon tester to see if there is exhaust gasses in the coolant to confirm its a head gasket issue. I would also stay away from the coolant headgasket fixer products with the pellets because the pellets can clog the radiator and then blow the ends off the radiator (it did that on my old saturn and I still had a head gasket issue with a broken radiator).... and also probably clog other coolant passages.

When people come to me for help and then ignore my advice I stop helping them. My rational is if you're unwilling to listen to me then why are you coming to me for help? It's cut down on my level of frustration.

The problem with Mothers-in-Law is they don't go away. :lol:

You can get a hydrocarbon tester to see if there is exhaust gasses in the coolant to confirm its a head gasket issue. I would also stay away from the coolant headgasket fixer products with the pellets because the pellets can clog the radiator and then blow the ends off the radiator (it did that on my old saturn and I still had a head gasket issue with a broken radiator).... and also probably clog other coolant passages.

Yea, I try to stay away from that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...while installing the new tensioner something went wrong. I know I didn’t cross thread the bolt, and I don’t think I overtightened it. I threaded the bolt in easily by hand and tried to torque it to 20 ft-lb. it would not tighten and I pulled it back out and the threads came out with it...
Most likely, you didn't do anything wrong. What probably happened, somebody else a long time ago overtightened the bolt and weakened the threads. Those threads are just in the soft aluminum, the heli-coil should fix it.

I'm a strong believer in doing a repair the correct way and not attempting any quick "fix" methods. When I was young these things were attractive to me. Like you I learned they didn't fix the issue or ended up making something worse.

Question: Has anyone successfully used JB Weld (or similar products) to repair anything?

Most likely, you didn't do anything wrong. What probably happened, somebody else a long time ago overtightened the bolt and weakened the threads. Those threads are just in the soft aluminum, the heli-coil should fix it.

Now that you mention it, the timing tensioner was VERY tight when I removed it, in fact it was tighter than any of the other components.

How hard it to remove that bracket? I’m going to heli-coil it but it may be easier off the car. I’m doing all of this with the rad still in place and I can’t fit my drill in without removing it.

I know most of you may think, if I’m going to remove it why not replace it, but I already have the tap and new threads and everything so why spend the extra money?

Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

It's not really hard to remove, only two bolts, IIRC. If you remove it, use blue loctite when you put it back in and follow the torque spec in the FSM (18 ft-lb, so very low).

A new one is P/N 13156AA052 and runs around $35.

Ok fellas, I got that fixed, it only took about 10 mins to remove heli-coil and reinstall. After getting the timing belt reinstalled we started it up, and it sounded great. Everything was going well... until we got everything assembled, started adding water and it just poured out from the same location as before -_- how sure are you guys that it’s the head, I mean the water is pouring out without the car even running. It wasn’t running in the video I posted either. Should I go ahead with the heads?

An external coolant leak from the heads without pressure (cap on /running car) and not running.

have you checked the oil drained it yet? and seen if its internal also?

smoky starts? wet plugs?

lemme know if its already posted i thought i read it all

An external coolant leak from the heads without pressure (cap on /running car) and not running.

have you checked the oil drained it yet? and seen if its internal also?

smoky starts? wet plugs?

lemme know if its already posted i thought i read it all

Have checked oil, it looks fine but I haven’t drained it yet. No it never smokes, and I haven’t checked plugs yet.

Nevermind, it was the pipe. I removed the A/C compressor and it was squirting out of a hole in that pipe
Let me guess, your mother-in-law thinks that coolant changes are a waste of money?! ;)

Glad you got it fixed.

Archived