LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting has passed away aged 66.

A statement from the FIA announced that the Brition died from a pulmonary embolism in Melbourne, on the eve of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix weekend.

Whiting had been present in the Albert Park paddock on Wednesday.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142088/fia-f1-race-director-charlie-whiting-dies

453747.png

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whooooooa! This is sad but also big.

(I'll whisper what everyone was thinking: I thought Bernie would go first.)

Had to look up the cause: "Pulmonary embolism is a blockage in one of the pulmonary arteries in your lungs. In most cases, pulmonary embolism is caused by blood clots that travel to the lungs from the legs or, rarely, other parts of the body (deep vein thrombosis). Because the clots block blood flow to the lungs, pulmonary embolism can be life-threatening."

Also, Charlie wore a lot of hats:

"Whiting's race director role meant he was the lead official and in charge of everything rules related, from safety requirements and rule interpretation to the management of practice, qualifying and the race."

I would be surprised if they didn't break up some of his roles and replace him with 2-3 people.

Good thing being in hospice- I've got the motortrend channels to watch about Sebring and F1!

One thing you should watch if you haven't already is the Netflix series called Formula 1: Drive to Survive. It's the behind the scenes and what it takes for each team to "survive" the 2018 race season.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Williams sucking wind during practice. Both cars placed last. Kubica says he has no one to race against... sad to see a great team die on the vine.

Who will buy them and turn them into a performer? She seems clueless despite growing up in this business.

One thing you should watch if you haven't already is the Netflix series called Formula 1: Drive to Survive. It's the behind the scenes and what it takes for each team to "survive" the 2018 race season.

Tried it but gave up. Didn't learn anything I didn't know

Williams sucking wind during practice. Both cars placed last. Kubica says he has no one to race against... sad to see a great team die on the vine.

Who will buy them and turn them into a performer? She seems clueless despite growing up in this business.

If Paddy Lowe (now on leave) couldn't turn them around, no one can.

• 2 weeks later...

This race didn't come with too many surprises. At least Kimi scored points but Giovinazzi needs to improve his pace.

Also sad to see the state of Williams. :(

Alexander Albon on the other hand did great considering his starting position.

Edited by ehsnils
453747.png

Here's how a first era turbo engine was built:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWnWKLVUBcM]BMW F1 Car BT52 1,280 hp Engine Assembly - YouTube[/ame]

The engine block is actually the same 4-cylinder block as in the 4 cylinder BMW passenger cars of that era. To make sure that the blocks have "settled" they were building from used blocks.

453747.png