LegacyGT.com

Rusty fuel components (pics): What part and may this hole be deeper than anticipated?

The recall looks like it has been done (the junction looks like relatively new, the bracket holding onto it is extremely rusty (assuming they didn't replace that).

Only worry is there is no wax protestant on it.

I was under it and did not smell a hard odor of fuel (like off the top of the tank). So I'm assuming it's just the fuel pump. Hopefully tonight I can get under it and remove the plastic shield in order to look at the tank better. With just the rear on ramps I could not get a good angle to see said nipple, will have to check again. I may make another thread for the brake dilemma.

Busy with the hurricane messing up vacation, and all this car work and school work compiling!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have had the rear nipple on the gas tank also rust right off the tank and am in the process of getting it replaced...Take off rear passenger wheel and look with a flash light...You should have no probs. seeing the back side of tank...Also i was able to reach my arm in and feel around...

No, once the gas is below 2/3's of a full tank the smell decreased dramatically, below 1/2 a tank you thought all was fine.

If the car sat with the windows up in the sun, then you'd get a slight hint when you opened the doors. I normally leave the car in the parking lot at work with the windows down a little so the car is always fresh when I get in. I also drive with the window's when every possible.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hit the junction with a lot of brake cleaner to make sure it's clean. Buy a can of liquid plasti-dip and a small brush and give it a solid coating. Let it dry and do it again twice more. Make sure and coat the lines at least a couple of inches from the block and you'll be OK from that point on.

Fuel pump bolts-penetrating oil is your friend but first hit it with carb cleaner good. The acid in the carb cleaner will open up the pores in the metal. Then hit it good with penetrating oil. Use a 6 point socket and place it on the nuts first and give it a good whack with a small ball peen hammer to shock the threads. Use a 1/4" ratchet and gently work the nuts back and forth. Try tightening them a slight bit first and then loosen and tighten.......you get the drill.

Once you remove the nuts, go buy some stainless nylock nuts. Clean your ring really well and paint it with about 3 coats of Rustoleum all the way around. Re-install everything and use anti-seize on the studs. Do NOT overtighten the nuts and use good flat washers under the nuts.

Once all installed again, put an ample coat of the plasti-dip over all of the nuts and on the ring and you should never have that problem again.

Put it up on a lift and took the tire off, couldn't see the nipple, this guy painted EVERYTHING with some thick hammered look paint/rust protectant.

Took off the shield cover passenger side of the tank, there are no current leaks from the tank, but the edges are rusted to heck and splitting bad in two spots... if I can find a deal on a tank, filler neck, and whatever metal lines that may be on the fascia of the tank I will just do it all at once... my buddy said $100 if I help him... I'll be doing the pads and rotors and leave him to it, good deal to me haha

Pay your buddy, order a tank from the auto parts stores and fill pipe. The parts will be less then $500. Its the labor that's a killer. My buddies body shop had to cut a hole in the frame rail to remove the nut so they could drop the sub frame.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I am from Syracuse NY, Nick name 'salt city'... car only has 117k miles... We are one of the snowieet cities in the US or something... they use literal poop tons of it...

I used to live there and I'm happy I no longer have to deal with such corrosion of vehicles.

Spray the big bolts with PB Blaster, the guy's tell me they had to bleed the brakes because they had top break one of the connections.

Also if you coat the new or used tank that you get look into por-15...there is black coat to go over the used tank and if you get new then I believe it's gray coat....Most jeep guys use this stuff for under coat of there whole vehicle to prevent rust and on the inside under the rug encase inside gets water in it

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I looked into POR15, it's 50 a gallon if I remember.

On my wrangler I used a form of herculiner in a tub, it seemed more so to trap moisture, the aerosol stuff worked better!

It is a used OEM tank from a salvage yard, rated at their highest quality category, only $100. Not too bad. Will take pictures when stuff comes shipped in...

I looked into POR15, it's 50 a gallon if I remember.

On my wrangler I used a form of herculiner in a tub, it seemed more so to trap moisture, the aerosol stuff worked better!

It is a used OEM tank from a salvage yard, rated at their highest quality category, only $100. Not too bad. Will take pictures when stuff comes shipped in...

POR-15 is a little different than something like herculiner. It chemically reacts with rust to form a coating that protects against further rust. You have to prep the surface to clean it and remove any loose rust, but it's not necessary to remove all rust.

I can just cost the OEM goop/coating with POR 15, not needing to strip it?

I'm assuming the filler tube will not have any coating... Will definitely need something.

You have to prep the surface to remove loose rust, paint, etc. & promote adhesion for the POR-15, but you don't have to remove everything to bare metal. They sell a metal prep product, or you could use a similar product for this.

The stages are:

- clean and degrease

- apply metal prep

- apply POR-15

- (optional) apply paint coating over POR-15

the sock i think is in the big plastic cyinder wher the fuel pump is.

i am having a similar issue but its because fuel is seeping out around the gasket. i think the gasket got eatten when my brake likes broke a few months ago and leaked brake fluid on top of the tank. i got a new gasket but am on the fence if i should also get a new fuel pump and filters with 140k on my current one

Archived