LegacyGT.com

Rusty fuel components (pics): What part and may this hole be deeper than anticipated?

Supposedly about 500 miles on it before me. I had a vibrant resonator to install, but at the moment seems like I might need to buy a new mid pipe with better end flanges. I am a v8 kinda person, boxer motors are one if the few 4 cylinders I'd own! Except for a mitsubishi motors, ecoboost, old SVO's, diesels, etc..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have fuel leaking from the right side fuel tank area, centered on the right rear door if you are observing the wet spot under the car after filling and of course the smell. No problems below ¾ tank. Mechanic already checked the fuel lines where he could get to them and said everything is fine. From reading this thread, I guess the next step for me is to replace the fuel pump assembly/gasket and hope that resolves this?

If it is the fuel tank itself I’ll probably sell the car, lol. Maintenance is getting too high already and that seems ridiculously expensive with the labor.

I have fuel leaking from the right side fuel tank area, centered on the right rear door if you are observing the wet spot under the car after filling and of course the smell. No problems below ¾ tank. Mechanic already checked the fuel lines where he could get to them and said everything is fine. From reading this thread, I guess the next step for me is to replace the fuel pump assembly/gasket and hope that resolves this?

If it is the fuel tank itself I’ll probably sell the car, lol. Maintenance is getting too high already and that seems ridiculously expensive with the labor.

You should be getting a P0442 code. Sounds like mine and it was a rusty gas tank. Subaru charges 6 hours of labor to replace the tank. Don't tell your prospective buyer that, though. Where I live, even selling a car between individuals, you are legally responsible for informing the buyer of significant problems that could lead to repairs ("hidden defects"). I replaced my tank before selling the car.

With my leak I was not getting any evap leaks, but a hell of a smell. I am dumping more money into the car for CV shafts, passenger side valve cover gasket and a few other things. They can be good cars when properly maintained.

If you have not pulled the rear seat to look at the sending unit, then do not spend the money yet.

There are a few plastic shields under the car for the gas tank. You should be able to pull the passenger one and get a look horizontally through the wheel well or vertically to see where it is running down.

Archived