LegacyGT.com

2011 Legacy 3.6R won't stay on

Adjuster went to look at it today and said the failure is due to rust, which is an exclusion to the policy. So for now I am just going to have the dealer replace the one that failed and move on. I did ask him to check the coil for cylinder 6 since that was replaced about 18 months ago. If that one is rusted as well, should I be concerned that there is a bigger issue that needs to be addressed?
Nope. They get rusty, they fail. I live in Canada and had a couple fail. Took them off and they were delaminated and rusty. Salt,wet heat etc. Takes its toll on them .

Nope. They get rusty, they fail. I live in Canada and had a couple fail. Took them off and they were delaminated and rusty. Salt,wet heat etc. Takes its toll on them .

Ok thanks, good to know. Easy DIY? I looked online but didn't see any videos for my particular model.

It's pretty straightforward, but if you have beefy forearms, you're in for a bit of a struggle. Unplug the connector from the coil, undo the bolt holding the coil in place, pull it off the plug, rotate it to the one single orientation where it'll come out, then reverse the process. I was able to skate by without pulling the airbox or battery out (I don't have beefy forearms), but with the H6, you'll likely have to remove both of those. Simple enough as long as you have a little mechanical aptitude (and a lot of patience).

Might be worth considering doing plugs while you're in there, and those are pretty fiddly- I've found that the best strategy is to stick one hand down there, then drop the spark plug socket, 3" extension, u-joint, then ratchet down and assemble them inside the plug tube, then try to disassemble everything once the plug is loose. A wobble extension would probably make things significantly easier, though.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to put some protection on the coil packs - like spraying the parts prone to rust with some WD40 or something?

453747.png

You don't want to put something on the coil fins that will affect the heat transfer of the coil. The reason the coils are failing when rusty is they are overheating and no longer transferring the heat out of the electronics.

• 3 years later...

Third times the charm? Dash lit up again and is sputtering. At least this time I know it’s a coil pack. My 7 years of extended coverage are up so no more stealership visits for me! Anyone have a reliable indy shop in Queens/LI they recommend?

Also, if I decide to go the DIY route, is there a way to know which cylinder the issue is with?