LegacyGT.com

CVT - simulated shifts - what are your thoughts and opinions?

I, personally, like the simulated shifts. To me it feels "better". My Son has a 13 Impreza and his CVT just holds an RPM and has a strange feel to it. To each their own but I like the way my Legacy and 17 Forester XT shift far better with the "simulated" feel of a conventional automatic.

Same here man. To each their own indeed.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ftfy

Nope.

Upshift => Engine rpm drops

Downshift => Engine rpm increases

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

🎼🎶You say tomato I say tomato!🎵

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less." ~ Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

800px-Humpty_Dumpty_Tenniel.jpg

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Nope.

That's Better.🤗

Laughing at Oneself and with others is Good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

You originally posted:

That is not a description of "simulated shifts," but rather the CVT's Manual Mode. The "simulated shifts" occur only under moderate to full throttle acceleration in Auto Mode, not during deceleration or closed-throttle coasting ... i.e. they are upshifts only.

Nope.

and why would one want to decrease RPM for hard acceleration again?... and why would you want your CVT to pretend as if it has gears for hard acceleration instead of sitting at peak HP like they are designed?... and why would you not want to decrease RPM during decel or coasting?... and how could you not have simulated downshift when there are simulated upshifts?....

and why would one want to decrease RPM for hard acceleration again?

For starters, to keep from exceeding the engine redline.

... and why would you want your CVT to pretend as if it has gears for hard acceleration instead of sitting at peak HP like they are designed?
I wouldn't ... but Subaru didn't consult me before making that decision.

... and how could you not have simulated downshift when there are simulated upshifts?
Easy. Just don't implement them in the CVT controller. (We are still talking about Auto Mode, aren't we?) Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

I don't feel any shifts in my 17.

I have a 17 and all the simulated shifts are there. I had a 15 and they were there as well. Had a 12 prior to that and no simulated shifts.

---

In my last Legacy, I had three pedals....they did not consult with me prior about all this simulated shift nonsense either....

I love my new one, but its no longer fun to drive. For that reason alone, I don't think I'll purchase a new one if another manufacturers offers a good ole manual transmission (slowly turning into a dream I know)

In my last Legacy, I had three pedals....they did not consult with me prior about all this simulated shift nonsense either....

I love my new one, but its no longer fun to drive. For that reason alone, I don't think I'll purchase a new one if another manufacturers offers a good ole manual transmission (slowly turning into a dream I know)

There are no family fun cars with manual transmission. I rather have AWD than a manual transmission.

---

There are no family fun cars with manual transmission. I rather have AWD than a manual transmission.

That's what I was thinking in February when I bought my '17, but I personally don't enjoy driving it like I do my 2010. I'm not complaining about the car itself, its safe, reliable, comfortable etc...just my personal preference and how I like to drive. I made the choice to buy it, but I have been second guessing that decision lately.

During inclement weather up here in New England, I use my Jeep Wrangler, (which is a 5 speed!:spin:) so the AWD is less of a factor than when I bought my last Legacy in the fall of 2009.

Funny thing is that i don't even have a family of my own, but I like to have the space to carry friends and the ladies around. The legacy in the Limited trim with eyesight is the best equipped car for the buck. This is why I am on my fourth Legacy.

I also have a Miata 6 speed for the fun factor and a '05 Impreza 2.5RS 5 speed for work so I get my fix of stickshift every day.

---

For starters, to keep from exceeding the engine redline.

for starters? that's the only reason why you'd want to upshift during hard acceleration unless your car for some reason has a redline that well past the peak hp.

gosh i couldn't imagine why

Easy. Just don't implement them in the CVT controller. (We are still talking about Auto Mode, aren't we?)

So you're telling me that if I'm at 1500 RPM and i stand on it it will hold gearing until it reaches redline and then upshift?

So you're telling me that if I'm at 1500 RPM and i stand on it it will hold gearing until it reaches redline and then upshift?

What does that have to do with simulated downshifts, which was the context of my post?

spacer.png

What are your thoughts on the Subaru Lineartronic CVT?

I think I have owned about 20 cars in my life, many of them automatics.

The CVT doesn't really bother me, it is not as good as some regular autos I have driven and not as bad as some of them either. The "simulated" shifts are not bad at all in my opinion.

Wish I could have a manual though (shoulder prevents it) getting old sucks.

I am also concerned with the longevity of the CVT.

What I do find odd is that many car manufacturers get more torque from a car vs. horse power. For example the new Impreza has 150 or so hp. but the tq. is in the 140s. Many car companies get more tq. from their cars with less hp. Why have the CVT if it isn't transferring the hp. into more tq.?

What I do find odd is that many car manufacturers get more torque from a car vs. horse power. For example the new Impreza has 150 or so hp. but the tq. is in the 140s. Many car companies get more tq. from their cars with less hp.

???

Assuming torque is expressed in ft-lbs (or in lb-ft, take your pick) and power is expressed in horsepower:

1) If peak engine power is produced at higher than 5252 rpm, the power value will be a bigger number than the torque value.

2) Conversely, if peak power occurs below 5252 rpm, the torque value will be a bigger number than the power value.

This is basic mechanics.

Why have the CVT if it isn't transferring the hp. into more tq.?
???

Power = Torque x Angular Rate (e.g. rpm)

It's not just a good idea, it's the law!

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png

Simulated gears, not shifts. The shifts actually occur from ratio to ratio, which are simulated gears but still bona fide ratios regardless.

I'm not sure why all the heart burn over the CVT. Drive easy, rubber band, drive hard, simulated gears. But the ratios are real.

My only beefs with the CVT is HP being limited to protect it. And 2) longevity, though Subaru has recently offered extended warranties for certain models.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Simulated gears, not shifts. The shifts actually occur from ratio to ratio, which are simulated gears but still bona fide ratios regardless.

I'm not sure why all the heart burn over the CVT. Drive easy, rubber band, drive hard, simulated gears. But the ratios are real.

My only beefs with the CVT is HP being limited to protect it. And 2) longevity, though Subaru has recently offered extended warranties for certain models.

I can tell when the simulated gears change by watching the RPMs change, but generally I don't feel anything.

My HTCVT doesn't vary RPM during tame driving. The RPM goes up to say, 2200, and if I hold it there speed increases while RPM remains unchanged. No shift points.

Hammer go peddle a little harder then, yes, there are shift points.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

???

Assuming torque is expressed in ft-lbs (or in lb-ft, take your pick) and power is expressed in horsepower:

1) If peak engine power is produced at higher than 5252 rpm, the power value will be a bigger number than the torque value.

2) Conversely, if peak power occurs below 5252 rpm, the torque value will be a bigger number than the power value.

This is basic mechanics.

???

Power = Torque x Angular Rate (e.g. rpm)

It's not just a good idea, it's the law!

I am not a mechanic or mechanical engineer. What I am saying is that Subaru's hp to tq percentage seems to be low. Indeed there are cars that have a higher torque than horse power. My comment regarding the CVT was that by using this new, modern transmission one would hope that the tq. would be higher.

That it all. :)

• 1 month later...