LegacyGT.com

headlights - oem vs. aftermarket

Need to pick up a new set of housings since mine are trashed. OEM are very expensive. $260+ each. There are aftermarket ones for a lot less.

Is this a case of you get what you pay for? Or are the cheaper ones genuinely comparable?

Not looking for anything fancy. A simple drop in OEM replacement that looks and functions the same.

Depends how picky you are. Most aftermarket housings put out an inferior light pattern. I have also yet to see one that fits perfectly. You can try a headlight restoration kit if it's just oxidation you're dealing with before you spend a few hundred on new assemblies.

I've had a set of Depot blacked out housings for about 3,000 miles and have been happy with them. Will actually be selling mine since I bought a jdm front end. If you decide to go this route shoot me a pm, good luck otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3M polishing kit works great. Got mine from NAPA it's about $35.00 but it was much faster and better then the Mothers kit.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The 3M polishing kit works great. Got mine from NAPA it's about $35.00 but it was much faster and better then the Mothers kit.

How long does it last for you? Polishing kits only last about a year for me.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I have a set of blacked out Depo's. They work well, you just need to replace them as a set. The projectors are different and they will not match the oem lights. PM if you're intrested in them, they're pretty much mint. I have a set of hid jdm lights I use.

I ended up going with non OEM replacements at half the price from eBay. Knew I'd probably take a ding on how they would broadcast. Fitment was spot on and light pattern is not as consistent as OEM. Had to do a bit of adjustment up/down via the adj. screws but that was easy. That said they are not horrible at all and having fresh lenses with slightly upgraded bulbs means they are plenty bright. I'm generally happy with them, maybe I'm getting less OCD as I get older :)

Well I'm done with polishing. Been there done that. Doesn't last long at all with these. I think it is just their time to hit the trash bin.

Guess I'll have to think it over whether the OEM are worth the extra. It does sound like there are some negatives to the cheaper ones. Not surprising I guess.

I'd have no problem with aftermarket as long as they were installed as a pair. Body shop installed a TYC after an accident many years ago, yeah that didn't last long. My legit ocd absolutely couldn't stand they way they threw light differently. The TYC headlight seemed to reflect a lot more light upwards out the squirrel finder too.

1.thumb.jpg.9047ee9a91161adc51ac2a768e3ab48c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.1b9504895ede1e77a152abb7e6ca7e77.jpg

I did the polishing thing and then spray painted a UV protected clear coat from a rattle can and it still looks brand new 2 years later. The rattle can clear coat I got at oreillys for about 8 bucks and you gotta be careful when sprain to not bleed but it looks great.

If you don't have the money for new headlights I would recommend this as it only took about 3 hours total.

ditto on the TYC lights, I felt the same way and ended up ordering the matching drivers side so they would be consistent, (hit a deer and slow speed and cracked the passenger side).

Anyone tried the headlight sealer products? They are pretty inexpensive. I just re polished my headlights again after major return of oxidation froma year ago. This time I used some headlight sealer, i think mothers brand. Its only been about 2 months so not sure how long it will last.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat as the OP. I see some lights stating 05-09 and yet they should have changed for the 08-09. How can I tell if they're correct or misleading. What's the difference between 07's and 08's? Please help bc I don't want to buy the wrong ones.

I did the polishing thing and then spray painted a UV protected clear coat from a rattle can and it still looks brand new 2 years later. The rattle can clear coat I got at oreillys for about 8 bucks and you gotta be careful when sprain to not bleed but it looks great.

If you don't have the money for new headlights I would recommend this as it only took about 3 hours total.

This? I got this for that sole purpose and then got lazy and didn't do it. Year later the headlights need to be done again.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/DC8D56C8-B347-4B94-AA52-82E06F83831F_zpssd7pc5kh.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/FAE11755-65B8-4773-958F-7C069B2A467D_zpsq92e4jms.jpg~original

"This? I got this for that sole purpose aquicknd then got lazy and didn't do it. Year later the headlights need to be done again."

Give it a try, it wont cost anything ;)

BUT, use quick and light coats as it likes to bleed.

• 1 month later...
I'd have no problem with aftermarket as long as they were installed as a pair. Body shop installed a TYC after an accident many years ago, yeah that didn't last long. My legit ocd absolutely couldn't stand they way they threw light differently. The TYC headlight seemed to reflect a lot more light upwards out the squirrel finder too.

I'm sick of the sanding, polishing, UV sealing routine. Although the cloudiness does not return if you use the UV protectant, I find that about 1 year later they begin to have a slight yellow tinge to them.

I want to know if the TYCs you've had for many years have stayed clear.

The beam pattern is a non issue to me. I will be retrofitting this kit. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html?carDisplay=2005+Subaru+Legacy&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1

I have done this on my old Legacy but have been holding off on my Outback due to my poor lens issue.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I'd do a hard-pass on the TYC headlights unless you spray your own UV resistant clear coat. I bought some TYC headlights for my '15 Forester for a headlight retrofit and the clear coat on the headlights were peeling within a few months.

Archived