LegacyGT.com

Partial Throttle Hesitation

Issue:

At partial throttle, I get a hesitation where the engine speed varies about 300 RPM centered around 2800 RPM or so.

Background Info:

• This has been happening for a while, since before this newest engine

• Only happens on partial throttle, no hesitation at WOT or even just a higher accelerator %

• The car has recently had the following components replaced (all Subaru OEM):

o MAF

o Throttle Body

o Coil packs and spark plugs

• Injectors replaced with 21k mile STI injectors at 149k miles (202k on car now, so total of 74k on injectors)

• DW65C pump installed 55k miles ago

• New OEM front O2 sensor 25k miles ago

• STI style regulator installed 25k miles ago

I can log any parameters desired, as I've got RomRaider. Below is a chart I plotted showing accelerator pedal angle being held constant (black line) and the variation of various sensors. The engine speed variation is shown to be very subtle due to the y-axis scale, but it varies 314 RPM with 0 change in accelerator pedal input. I've attached the Excel file for reference as well.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

702733728_EngineLog6-12-2017.thumb.jpg.86791b0bf9d4fccf57ba3ec7cb1f7b3a.jpg

Engine Log 6-12-2017.csv

It sounds a lot like what my car has done for the past 90k. I gave up a while ago trying to fix it. I'll convert this car to electric before I can figure out what the root cause is.

If you fix it, let me know!

One thing that may fix the issue is the fuel pump rewiring.

Sounds kinda like the hesitation I have and have replaced everything you said as well almost to a T

Mine seems to be a but lower though more around 2500ish, but I'll get like a sputtering/bucking almost

And if I give it more gas, car will still build boost, a/f still richen up, but ya the car like won't move, I usually end up backing off the gas, and then slowly start giving it gas and it'll kinda clear itself up

Just saying, my wagon doesn't do this, I remember during one of the street tune's, talking with Mike about basically this issue, he took care if it.

www.tuningalliance.com

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hoping my tuner can work mine out as well..... i got fresh plugs, engine, fuel pump, injectors, basically everything under the hood except maf, map, and coils..... I also wondered about the fuel pump rewire. A lot of guys had good luck adding the foot or so of rubber hose. This is the emphasis subaru stumble and that has been the fix the most people have had luck with. Some people, including myself have noticed changing your fpr hose from the side port to the three way in the back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Got the same issue from about 2500 - 3500 RPM. I logged it, but still need to take a look at the logs.

This was not an issue before, but then I went with the DW fuel pump and DW1000cc injectors, to tune the 16G that was on the car to it's full potential, then it slowly started cropping up. Now it's ever present at any throttle application; from mild to wild. I was going to convert the car to a parallel fuel rail set up and aftermarket FPR to see if the hesitation is due to the fueling.

Got the same issue from about 2500 - 3500 RPM. I logged it, but still need to take a look at the logs.

This was not an issue before, but then I went with the DW fuel pump and DW1000cc injectors, to tune the 16G that was on the car to it's full potential, then it slowly started cropping up. Now it's ever present at any throttle application; from mild to wild. I was going to convert the car to a parallel fuel rail set up and aftermarket FPR to see if the hesitation is due to the fueling.

I should also note I have parallel feed rails, with the STi regulator and DW65C pump.

I'm getting my car tuned open source tommarow, and am hoping that it's either somewere in the tune that he can fix, or at least lead me in some sort of direction on what it is

But mine doesn't do it all the time, it's completely random

But the more and more I search for this no one, on this forum and others have found any sort of solution

I'm getting my car tuned open source tommarow, and am hoping that it's either somewere in the tune that he can fix, or at least lead me in some sort of direction on what it is

But mine doesn't do it all the time, it's completely random

But the more and more I search for this no one, on this forum and others have found any sort of solution

In my experience, it has been related to low-load "knock". If the car really bucks at low throttle, it's likely timing being pulled. If you examine your learning view and datalog knock count in that area, it will add very quickly.

There are a few theories such as ringlands that have broken, but not separated, clutch and flywheel engagement on shifting causing false readings, leaking fuel injectors, insufficient fueling (FPR or low voltage at the pump), and small air leaks.

I gave up a while ago as I've tried to figure it out over the past 90k miles. I will likely try the STI FPR and bench test the injectors with an Arduino and MOSFET to see how they flow.

Well there was 0 learned knock on my car

I have been told my Injectors/fuel pump/fueling in general is showing exactly what it should

I've already done the sti fpr and vacuum hose re route

We could not replicate it, so nothing really came of it

Cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU and the car is back to being butter smooth at all RPMs. The idle is still a bit off as the ECU is learning, but it does this every time though. If it comes back, I'm guessing I've got something else going on.

If your load is under 1.3g/rev when this is happening -- which is more than likely, IMO -- then learned knock correction is not active (unless you've played with the knock correction tables). If it's between 0.8-1.2g/rev, then it could be feedback knock. That said, I think the issue is much more likely fueling related.

So what exactly does that mean, if there is some sort of knock, doesn't that usually end up meaning motor is junk?

No. The engine is noisy at lower RPMs, and sometimes that can trigger the knock sensor to believe there's actual detonation occurring when there is none (false knock).

That said, the car could actually be detonating, but at low loads and RPMs, a little bit of detonation won't damage the engine. Not saying it's beneficial, but it's not like a little bit of knocking at low loads will promptly destroy a ringland :p

Archived