LegacyGT.com

Bay Area Sorta Work Day

hadvw

So, some of you might have seen the back-and-forth, some not.. So, to let everyone know, Rhitter in Richmond area has volunteered his place/garage to do a kind of install day. Not sure how many people he's got space for or is willing to host. Rhitter - any comments?

Mostly, this started as a discussion about me buying and installing stuff, and he and maybe wpmarky/Th3Franz agreeing to show and help me install stuff.

If you've followed my track-day thread, you'll know I'm currently waiting to have a leakdown test done, because my regular mechanic gave me a strange compression reading. And I may be losing coolant somewhere. So I reserve the right to cancel at the last minute if I get bad news. Anyway, hoping for the best, the plan is to get a few people together to do the following on my car:

-install rear SS lines

-install Th3Franz's old Wilwood front brake setup on my car

-flush the brakes

-install AVO rear sway bar brackets/Whiteline bushings

-install wpmarky's RCE1 Tarmacs

If anyone else has stuff they want help with, I think it's ok to ask, and see if people will agree to help - I can't guarantee we have all the tools or time or expertise, etc..

Rhitter says he's available most weekends until Memorial Day, except for Mother's Day (not sure many here would be available then anyway!). This weekend is out for me. May 6th/7th and 20th/21st seem the best for me.

I have some tools I can bring, not sure how portable my Husky 30gal compressor it, but may try it. Anyone else with a smaller, more portable compressor, in case we need it?

So, who's in, which day is best, etc?

I'm bringing beer/food/etc. Suggestions?

---

The astute among you will have noticed that I previously mentioned rear hubs/rotors/pads as well. I couldn't take the squealing from my rears anymore (were at the wear indicators for a few weeks already), so I broke down and did the pads/rotors last night. I figure the hubs are still good, so pass on that, and it's less work just to install SS rear lines, so overall, less work to do..

There's always more stuff we can do to my car, if there's time and people are bored. It's just stuff I figured I could handle by myself: Fumoto valve, Redline hood struts, etc..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right on. I'll sell you the front lines for the brake kit for $80. They are new. I have an electric impact that can do just shy of 180 ft lb. I did have to still take a breaker bar to some stubborn bolts though. I'm available just about any weekend except memorial weekend

The only questionable item on your list is "install rear break lines". It took me 11 hours (alone) and no idea what I was doing to remove my old brakes and lines and install Legacy GT calipers + SS lines. Those rear lines are a ******* bitch to remove. Start soaking everything in PB blaster / Aerokrill / Liquid wrench now if you can.

Although, your car has been a California car it's whole life, so, maybe everything is in better shape than mine.

I live in the north east bay

edit: and I would vote for May 20/21st, so you have time to figure out your compression / leakdown test.

I'm busy on Sat but could try to make it Sunday for a part 2 day if it happens.

+1 to the rear lines, eff those things. Made me buy a damn flare nut wrench set when regular ones couldn't grip it.

I'm busy on Sat but could try to make it Sunday for a part 2 day if it happens.

+1 to the rear lines, eff those things. Made me buy a damn flare nut wrench set when regular ones couldn't grip it.

Hmm.. Sounds like this is real potential problem. And I don't want to get stuck an hour from home with an undriveable car.

Maybe it's time to go back to the previous plan - pick up the brakes from Franz and have my mechanic do the brakes instead.. I can handle all the other things myself, I believe.

ALWAYS use a flare nut wrench on brake line fittings. And I even clamp the head of the wrench tight with a pair of vise grips to keep it from spreading when torque is applied. You can put loads of torque on it with my method without worrying about stripping it and I always get the fitting to break free the first try without permanently disfiguring it. LOL!

ALWAYS use a flare nut wrench on brake line fittings. And I even clamp the head of the wrench tight with a pair of vise grips to keep it from spreading when torque is applied. You can put loads of torque on it with my method without worrying about stripping it and I always get the fitting to break free the first try without permanently disfiguring it. LOL!

What size do we need for brake lines?

small, 8mm or 10mm.

Sorry if we're scaring you, it's not that bad. After going smoothly with the fronts, the rears were just not as straight forward. With the right tool (the flare nut wrench) it's not bad.

You put in a MBC brace yet?

small, 8mm or 10mm.

Sorry if we're scaring you, it's not that bad. After going smoothly with the fronts, the rears were just not as straight forward. With the right tool (the flare nut wrench) it's not bad.

You put in a MBC brace yet?

:lol: Yes, I did, maybe 4-5 years ago. Just re-adjusted it a couple of days ago because it was squeaking like crazy, metal-on-metal rubbing. Just wiggling the brake lines or overflow tank would make it squeak. That's not happening anymore, but I'm still getting some similar squeaking, so it may still need a bit of adjustment.

Also still have a small reed-like sound when I first get on the throttle, sometimes. May have to re-check the DP bolts.

Anyone willing to tackle an Avo turbo inlet install?? :eek:

I have the flare nut wrench for the rear brake line. Let me just make sure I can find it. Mine were just rusted on. Stupid non-California car. my biggest problem with it was just the awkward angles. Vice grips on flare nut might have done it for me though.

Quick question: 5EAT cooler - I have all the parts except for a thermostat. I even test fit the cooler in front of the rad, etc.. Just never actually did the install.. Something doable at work day? Or too much of a hassle?

Anyone done this? I'm guessing the thermostat isn't really necessary around here. How much Amsoil trans fluid is needed?

Going to GST tomorrow for a leak-down. Will see if he can do my Avo turbo inlet for a decent price, assuming the leak-down turns out ok..

Updates: compression/leak-down: Yay - good numbers across the board: 7/5/7/5 (percent). No CO in the coolant. Whew. Good to go!

-GST said $500 to install the AVO turbo inlet due to needing to remove the intake manifold. I know some have done it without, not sure if I have the dexterity. Probably better done in the summer (when wife isn't working), so I can take multiple days to do it..

-wpmarky: I think I bought a Tru-Cool 4451 or 4454, will have to check the part number. Probably should order a Derale (edit: ordered). GST said they don't work on autos, so he won't do it, but other places will. Maybe a shop thing, since it could get messy.

Ok, so I think I'm ready to go. May 20th still work for most people/everyone?

i did mine without removing the manifold. the hardest part is fitting one of the hoses onto one of the ports on the inlet that's deep under the manifold near the turbo. Really tight space, might not be as bad if you have along nose pliers and/or small hands.

+1 grats on the healthy engine!

What time are you guys aiming to start & go until? I'll be at an event with the wifey during the morning/early afternoon. Would love to swing by after if i can.

PM me if you need my address. All day works for me. No time restrictions. Good news I found my 10/12 mm flare nut wrench. I also have a flare nut wrench "socket" set.

I'll let Hadvw set the time frame (my guess it will be a longish day). Unless everything goes smoothly. And on an all California car, it just might.

Archived