LegacyGT.com

:BUILD THREAD: Blouch 1.5xt-r in my 08 outback XT

Did you rule out the stock location efr7163? Great spool and power..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP is looking to keep the stock TMIC and you're suggesting something that really wants to be installed rotated...

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OP is looking to keep the stock TMIC and you're suggesting something that really wants to be installed rotated...

Actually. I am not going stock TMIC. I went with the grimmspeed TMIC that allows an sti turbo on a 08+ wrx and legacy gt platform.

Looks like my research failed though. The tuebobhits the EGR pipenon the back of the head. Other people had the same issue. Oh well. I ordered a 12mm up-pipe spacer from http://shop.mambatek.com/product.sc?productId=806Mamba racing. Hopefully that works. If it cause fitment issue with the DP, I may have to EGR delete.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

@Duke do you have the Cusco under braces? How did they fit with the Outback Body spacers?

The four point brace works, you can't use their two 3 bolt triangle plates though. Just reuse the stock triangle plates. I can take pictures later. Or if you stalk my profile you should find some.

Actually. I am not going stock TMIC. I went with the grimmspeed TMIC that allows an sti turbo on a 08+ wrx and legacy gt platform.

Looks like my research failed though. The tuebobhits the EGR pipenon the back of the head. Other people had the same issue. Oh well. I ordered a 12mm up-pipe spacer from http://shop.mambatek.com/product.sc?productId=806Mamba racing. Hopefully that works. If it cause fitment issue with the DP, I may have to EGR delete.

The GS item is I think the best stock format TMIC out there. If you're not concerned about visual inspection, I'd delete the EGR system and be done with it.

I'm using a Dom1.5 but I swapped to the metal intake manifold and use a GRB intercooler. I also have the Tomei ELH. I had issues with the Dom within a year of install, it spewed oil out of both seals, and true to form Blouch ignored me. I ended up paying almost the price of the turbo again to get a new genuine Garrett CHRA, swap the compressor wheel, get the whole thing balanced and reassembled. Knowing then what I know now I may actually have gotten an EFR kit and dealt with the fab work. I've done an EFR7163 on a 5th gen and got 408whp / 55kgm from that, with it spooling like the 18G it replaced. On stock pistons I'd stick with a 6758. Awesome turbos that really shine when you turn the wick up.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

The GS item is I think the best stock format TMIC out there. If you're not concerned about visual inspection, I'd delete the EGR system and be done with it.

I'm using a Dom1.5 but I swapped to the metal intake manifold and use a GRB intercooler. I also have the Tomei ELH. I had issues with the Dom within a year of install, it spewed oil out of both seals, and true to form Blouch ignored me. I ended up paying almost the price of the turbo again to get a new genuine Garrett CHRA, swap the compressor wheel, get the whole thing balanced and reassembled. Knowing then what I know now I may actually have gotten an EFR kit and dealt with the fab work. I've done an EFR7163 on a 5th gen and got 408whp / 55kgm from that, with it spooling like the 18G it replaced. On stock pistons I'd stick with a 6758. Awesome turbos that really shine when you turn the wick up.

Ah man. I bought the 1.5 xt-r over an FP green because people were saying similar thing about the FP turbo.

Did Blouch give a reason? Or just a f#ck off don't bother us?

Ah man. I bought the 1.5 xt-r over an FP green because people were saying similar thing about the FP turbo.

Did Blouch give a reason? Or just a f#ck off don't bother us?

Ha. I asked the price to BUY a new CHRA and they couldn't be arsed to answer.

Stock location efr posting killer results.

The 7163 is one of the small ( relative ) housings

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2394879

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a thing of beauty and yes I am aware the 7163 is on the smaller frame, having put one on a 5th gen. The 7163 has huge potential... a friend is doing 1050whp with two on an R35 for example.

Just be aware that 'stock location' does not mean 'bolt-up'. It's not a cheap kit and there's a bit more work involved in running it vs. a Dom. The other thing to note is that the EFR turbos in general do not really come alive until somewhere past 18psi. At lower boost they're going to waste.

In hindsight I wish I'd gone this way vs. the Dom, but I'm well down that path now.

If you've got corn an 6758 will spool like vf52 and perform like a dom 1.5 the rest of the way. There are a couple on Ebay right now for cheap. I'm 400/400+/- at 22.5 psi on e85.

Wouldn't want to put that on anything but an STI 6-spd.. Pretty sure it would destroy my 5EAT. Plus, there's no "good" flex-fuel platform for the LGT.. Maybe if I get a '15+ STI..

Well, while you guys fight about what turbo I should get. I'll show what I installed, actually just test fitted.

A company called MambaTurbo or MambaTek makes a 12mm spacer. This lifts up the turbo so it clears all the egr/smog pump crap. So a blouch 1.5 fits now. Hopefully, with the way the grimmspeed intercooler works I won't have any clearance issue up top.

UltimateRacing UpPipe/Downpipe, Tial MV-R EWG.ad316cd15a06e7ea54d8a84211ada863.jpg23330633e57f0d7578b4edc2ea1f95da.jpg

Can you still get the inlet tube on? Kinda surprised you can raise the turbo location that far and still fit it. OTOH I'm sure it made it unnecessary to grind the bell housing as I did.

Can you still get the inlet tube on? Kinda surprised you can raise the turbo location that far and still fit it. OTOH I'm sure it made it unnecessary to grind the bell housing as I did.

The stock inlet is pretty flimsy so it should be able to deal with the raised height.

Yes, it's so flimsy I'd never put one back on a motor even if the manifold was off.

first off, great thread, and build, and car, even the bikes are great. very cool stuff.

now my off topic question... I've never seen an air chamber on a bike pump like that, what is it good for? (other than a make shift leak down) Bike application?

I've been getting back in the MTB scene after missing a lot of years. I sold my bike after high school to pay for college expenses (man do i regret it). but so much more stuff has come out since and its intriguing.

The pump is to set up tubeless tires. Close the valve, fill up the chamber to 120psi, open the valve, rush of air should set just about any tubeless bike tire. Bontrager was the first, but there are many excellent copies on the market. the all work pretty well.

well, I would have been done on Saturday, but I broke one of the hardlines that exits the coolant expansion tank.

on another note. Holy crap is it tough to fit an STI style turbo and a Crawford AOS, and all the necessary hoses in the area where they need to be. that is a tight fit. That was rough.

Car is basically done, I just need to get a new expansion tank.

No fuel leaks, we ran the fuel pump to test the system, cranked the engine without fuel to get oil into most of the places it will need to be for a first start. Now to wait until Thursday for the new expansion tank to show up...

bonus picture, EWG peekaboo

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2563&pictureid=11738

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back togther. Current odometer 27 miles on the engine. Did a oil change after 20 mins of running just becasue. No surprises in the oil.

Date with Delicious Tuning tomorrow for tuning with flex fuel sensor.

Probably should have cleaned the engine bay before pictures.....653685a6decb6606d788c6c683bce719.jpg

Archived