LegacyGT.com

Crank Bolt removal with a twist!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got real excited to put the stuff on, and forgot to tighten the cam sprocket bolts before pulling the pin, is there anyway to tighten them once the belt is on? I don't have to option to push the tensioner back in, so, any methods? Or could I just get the pulley holding tool from o reillys?

on the dohc just before the first lobe there are flat portions.

If you don't have them, take a cloth and a pair of vise grips and grab the shaft in between two lobes, Have the handle down, so it will prevent rotation.

O.

Looks that way.

Unless you can use the cloth and the grips on the pulley and the belt simultaneously. If you had an impact wrench it would hold enough to torque it.

O.

There is a little access panel on the top of the motor by the IACV, but I don't know it's thats easily accessible when the intake manifold is still on the car, but it's just a square hole (2in x 2in ish) on the passenger side of the motor and it gives you access to the torque converter bolts, but that would allow you to hold the motor in place.

That only stops the crankshaft from turning. There are also holes on the side of the engine just above the axle that will allow one to slip a tool into the flexplate to stop it from turning also.

Neither of these will help in this case, because the pulley will generally move as there is only the belt to hold it.

O.

When I did that job I made a tool first, like the Subaru tool, so I don't have any ideas. I'd go through the hassle of taking the belt off for fear of damaging the bore in the cam pully, but I'm pretty far from an expert and real cautious about things I don't know, so that's just me. If you pull it in with the cam bolt, I'd say try to do something to hold the pully square to the shaft and go slow.

Got a c clamp? Or use a jack against a hard horizontal surface.

O.

I have only one. But its being use to keep the car up, in conjunction with the stands. Yeah, I have a shitty situation with the tools. I've been having to buy them all over again, since I left them all in texas. And my uncle only had a shifty low pro jack thats worth nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a little bit of a update-

Overall the job was a success. It no longer leaks up front, and I replaced the damaged crank pulley with a lightweight vms racing one. It feels pretty good withit. However, it still leaks- It does so from between the engine and the trans. I think it might be what is called an oil separator plate. If not a rear main seal or a leak from the input shaft, although that isn't very likely imo. I remember hearing something about cars with wet clutches and dry clutches- if thats a thing, what kind do our cars have?

One more thing- the timing is correct, I changed my o2 sensors and I cleaned my throttle body, changed spark plugs, But my car still gets shitty mileage, any ideas of what I could do to solve this?

Archived