LegacyGT.com

Crank Bolt removal with a twist!

It's definitely the oil separator plate, after seeing how loose and grungy mine was when I pulled it apart, it was no surprise they leak so frequently. My rear main seal was like brand new, even after 160k. Also what do you consider shitty mpg? We have the same phase 1 2.2 and I get 14-16mpg around town and 20-22mpg on the highway using 89-92 octane fuel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's definitely the oil separator plate, after seeing how loose and grungy mine was when I pulled it apart, it was no surprise they leak so frequently. My rear main seal was like brand new, even after 160k. Also what do you consider shitty mpg? We have the same phase 1 2.2 and I get 14-16mpg around town and 20-22mpg on the highway using 89-92 octane fuel

I'm getting around 270-80 miles per tank at best. Unless that isn't so bad for these cars lol :p

I can get fairly close to 30 on the highway if it is back east highways with slower speed limits. Like under 70. Western highways is more like 25 at 80+. I get 22-25 city depending on how hard I push it. I can go over 300 on a tank, but I don't usually. Mine is a 5MT. If you are driving the 4EAT then I would expect lower in all ranges.

I can get fairly close to 30 on the highway if it is back east highways with slower speed limits. Like under 70. Western highways is more like 25 at 80+. I get 22-25 city depending on how hard I push it. I can go over 300 on a tank, but I don't usually. Mine is a 5MT. If you are driving the 4EAT then I would expect lower in all ranges.

I'm beginning to think that my 280 miles per tank is normal. I was kind of surprised on how small the tank is on the Outback. Last time I filled up I had just shy of an 1/8 in the tank and it only took 10.5 gallons.

I don't typically squeeze in more than 12. I thought the manual said 15.9. I ran out last holiday at something like 13.5 or 14. That's a pretty large unusable volume. :(

At least I only had to walk about a mile down and then back at 3 in the morning.

my light doesnt come on until 14.5 gal is used, and i can take it down to 15.75 used before it sputters out. check the pump sock, the replacement ones are higher off the bottom of the tank than the oem ones, mebbe youre just not down into the bottom of the tank anymore?

and my gauge says empty at about 170ish miles, but i dont even start thinking about gas stations until i hit 300 miles

my light doesnt come on until 14.5 gal is used, and i can take it down to 15.75 used before it sputters out. check the pump sock, the replacement ones are higher off the bottom of the tank than the oem ones, mebbe youre just not down into the bottom of the tank anymore?

and my gauge says empty at about 170ish miles, but i dont even start thinking about gas stations until i hit 300 miles

Wow. I just checked the FSM and it indeed says 15.9 US Gallons! My last fill up, I was a half a needle from the E and it only took 11.71 gallons and I was topped out. There was even gas in the filler neck when I took the nozzle out. Is my fuel gauge that far off, or is it possible that my tank is an oddball and smaller? When I fill up, my needle goes a little past Full. On my SVX, I know my needle is off, full is only 3/4 on my gauge. I'm not brave enough to see how many miles past E I can go before empty.

When I run out of gas on purpose I have a can with me so no problems there, but I don't do that more than once with a (new to me) car. The pump is cooled by the gas flowing through it, so if it is sucking air, it isn't cooling correctly.

I swapped pump/sender units a couple times a while back chasing a problem and I'm not sure which I have in there at this point, so I'm going with sock wrong or wrong height and maybe sender not the same as before. I think my weirdness did coincide with those swaps.

I know some of our cars are prone to reading fuel incorrectly too, All you'd have to do to fix that is fill the car up (until the pump clicks off) and then remove the clear lens from the dash cluster and then gently move the gas needle up to full, then it'll work properly through the range. Sounds ghetto I know, but it works.

all 3 of my (running) 2nd gens dont read correctly lol.

i also ran them dry when i first got them to see how many miles and gallons it happened at. the GT went 390 miles and took 15.8 gal to refill, outback made it to 360ish and took 15.5 gallons and the FWD wagon made it to 330 and sputtered at 13.8 gallons. thats how i figured out the sock thing, pulled the assy and saw how different it looked. ended up pulling one from a junkyard and refreshing it, then putting it back on. now it will get down to 15.7 or so before it sputters.

I didn't know that sock accomplished more than filtering out chunks before they go through the pump. Works like that spongy mat thing you put in the bottom of a fuel cell when road racing. I'll look at mine soon and see if it's loose in the bottom of the tank or something...

Archived