LegacyGT.com

Head unit trouble

After getting it back, the economy and vehicle info screens were showing 0 data for all. TPMS monitor and coolant temp were inoperative.

There is no TPMS monitor screen. If you're talking about the Fujitsu Ten head unit's "Vehicle Monitor" page, it displays throttle pedal position (%), engine oil temperature (not coolant temperature), and dynamic VDC status (not TPMS status). The head unit firmware should have no effect on the coolant temperature gauge in the central instrument cluster.

I have a feeling the tech did not apply the update properly ...
I have a feeling you're right. They should not have to replace the head unit; re-applying the firmware update should be sufficient. Can you verify head unit status and firmware revision level, as described in the TSB?

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

My bad on the TPMS. Thought Subaru might have been a little farther along on technology and at least indicate which tire is low. I am going to ask dealer again when I arrive for appt on Friday. I would rather they try to apply again then to remove the HU.

don t know why everyone is afraid to replace HU. Takes mins at most and the whole dash doesn t get taken apart...

What do you mean? Afraid to replace with an aftermarket head unit? For me, I'm not doing that because our OEM one looks so good. Aftermarket ones with dash fit kits never look as good.

If you mean to replace with another OEM one, it's because they're not cheap by any means.

I mean I ve seen post with guys under warranty that won t replace for some unknow fear. (OEM dealer).

I agree with your view of aftermarket. And I assumed you where warranty covered.

My bad.

Oh I gotcha. It's up to the dealer to decide whether or not they want to replace it under warranty. No idea why they're so hesitant to do so since it's an easy job and doesn't cost them money.

No idea why they're so hesitant to do so since it's an easy job and doesn't cost them money.

Returned units get checked thoroughly, and the dealer gets dinged if there's nothing wrong with them ... e.g. the only problem is a botched firmware update or something else the dealer could easily have fixed themselves.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

UPDATE: Well took her in on Friday, they replaced the HU. Of course not without scratching the center vent surround, which they are ordering. It took about 1.5 hours, I think most of which was spent with SiriusXM. Ended up putting me on the phone where they promptly tried to upsell me. I digress, other than the scratched surround all is well. I swear the radio sounds better, and in fact, there may have been an issue with that HU from the beginning. I have never been happy with the sound from the HK system. The HK system in my previous MB's and current Jeep GC blew the doors off the Subaru version. All in all I am happy, back on the road, all functions working.

• 4 months later...
Fellas, the problem has gotten much worse. My head unit is completely freezing from time to time now, not one button will respond. It will not unfreeze until I shut the car off, then restart it. I drove to the dealer and had the service manager check out the issue, and he could not correct it without shutting the car off as well. I have an appointment for Friday. Hopefully just an update is needed..

• 2 months later...
Hi guys, I have a 2018 legacy 3.6 ......big screen froze while driving today, I have only had the car a week. Reverted to the star link screen and nothing responded. Shut car off, and nil fix until I left car and waited 20 minutes. Reset all normal. Any input?

I got this strange message a few weeks back trying to drive through an extremely densely populated area. Has anyone else seen this?

That message popped up and the screen wouldn't do anything. Even after I pulled to the side and shut the car off, opened the door and start the car back up, it tried to show the route and came back to this screen in a few seconds. Only way I got it to get out of it was by getting into the settings menu (Info + Audio/Tune 5 times) and then restarting the HU. The SD card is stock and has no other files.

WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.c8ff5632dd3bcbf0d3150929437a45ef.jpg

Just a thought... Your remembered routes ( automatically store GPS and travel routes) might be filling up you memory space. Maybe you should Purge the history.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Just a thought... Your remembered routes ( automatically store GPS and travel routes) might be filling up you memory space. Maybe you should Purge the history.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

I'll check that again. Thanks! I didn't think it remembered anything. Couldn't find a way to backup favorites.

Hi guys, I have a 2018 legacy 3.6 ......big screen froze while driving today, I have only had the car a week. Reverted to the star link screen and nothing responded. Shut car off, and nil fix until I left car and waited 20 minutes. Reset all normal. Any input?

I had the same problem. I reset the unit to factory defaults, kinda like wiping your phone but for your head unit. Yes, you loose all your settings but I noted my settings and it was not that bad to reset everything. Long story short, I have not had any problems since.

Archived