LegacyGT.com

Do you want heated seats in your legacy? Look inside!

Hey guys sorry for the clickbait title.

I am working on a how to video for installing heated seats in a second gen legacy and wanted to get some feedback from the community on what aspects of the project are important to go over in detail in order for the video series to be as effective as possible.

I was also wondering about the appropriateness of posting some supplemental materials in the forum (to be referenced in the video). I had printed out several wiring diagram pages from the FSM and written on them to help me identify connector/pin/wire locations in the car that helped me feel more confident with the wiring portion. I could just toss them in the video at the end or host them on Imgur, but I think hosting the info here is more useful to the overall community.

Any advice on this?

The install took me 4 days filming and trying to figure everything out, so I have a ridiculous amount of video to go through and cannot condense this into a single film. It would literally take my PC a week to render it all :lol:

I was thinking of breaking the install down into sections:

1.) Parts/tools/needed

2.)swapping elements from donor seats to your seats

3.) Prepping wiring harness

4.) Disassembling Interior

5.)installing heated wiring and harness into car

What would you want to see to make you feel more comfortable tackling a project like this?

This is going to take me a lot of late nights to edit, so I really don't want to mess it up lol

I guess more specifically are there any parts of the install that you find intimidating?

For me it was the wiring.

Have to admit the seat upholstery was a PITA trying to re-use hogrings and not knowing to use vice grips with the hog ring pliers to make life easier. Strangely, beer didn't help with the seats..

I'm going to do this swap once I can find a nice set of seats in a donor car but what I'm not looking forward to is wiring it up. I assume that the switches for the seats have more excessive amount of prongs since the OEM connectors always have way more than needed, so one thing I'm not looking forward to is figuring out which are the ones I need to use and then how I'm going to power it, I was going to try to tap into one of the unused spots on the fuse box but I'm not sure if that'll work or be reliable.

I'm going to do this swap once I can find a nice set of seats in a donor car but what I'm not looking forward to is wiring it up. I assume that the switches for the seats have more excessive amount of prongs since the OEM connectors always have way more than needed, so one thing I'm not looking forward to is figuring out which are the ones I need to use and then how I'm going to power it, I was going to try to tap into one of the unused spots on the fuse box but I'm not sure if that'll work or be reliable.

I definitely have that part covered if you get started before I have everything up I can send you the raw footage to at least help you out.

Having pulled the elements out was a love hate thing for me lol I'm glad I know how to do it now, but it was pretty sucky until I figured out how to best manipulate the plastic clips securing the upholstery using pick tools and realizing how to incorporate vice grips with the hog ring pliers.

Finding donor seats would've made this a one day project lol

Sounds like a good project. I like the way you have proposed to break it uyp. I have cloth seats so I wouldn't do this, but the info would be useful for other projects where you want to change your options.

Upholstry is my big fear since I've never done any of it but I expect most people would freak about the wiring. I know I was super tense connecting an oscilloscope in to my computer when I was having big troubles, but after all that learning I'm more confident on that front.

Yeah, I was going to do what wish did. The only reason I haven't yet is because it will be warm soon.

My other choice was some of those heating pads which go on the inside of the seat (from ebay), which I would guess is similar to Senseless's approach. I never thought to try to take the elements out of another seat.

I will forever avoid OEM switches though. I could share a long, boring story about my fog lights and the switch on those...

• 1 year later...
I have a set of Outback Limited seats that I pulled from a parts car while I was pulling a motor that are identical to the black leather seats in my 98 Legacy GT Limited, except for the ones in my car aren't heated. I'd like to swap the heated ones for my non-heated seats. Do any of y'all have a very clear and detailed write-up on how to do this? I'm fairly familiar with the ECU and some electrical, but would like someone else's know-how. Thanks.

Most of the Suby's since 96 at least have the tunnel plugs for the wiring but just not used.

You just need the rocker switches and panel for them and heated seats and they will just hook up.

Putting heat elements into non heated seats are beyond my pay grade.

My 96 OB has heated CLOTH seats.

O.

Most of the Suby's since 96 at least have the tunnel plugs for the wiring but just not used.

You just need the rocker switches and panel for them and heated seats and they will just hook up.

Putting heat elements into non heated seats are beyond my pay grade.

My 96 OB has heated CLOTH seats.

O.

Wish my 98 had the plugs. ugh. the wiring looks like a PITA

The wiring was not as big of a PITA as everyone thinks. I did the whole install, including heated windshield harness, in about an hour and a half in my driveway.

From the junkyard donor, pull out the seats and carpet and follow the harness back to the B99 connector in the passenger kick panel. Unplug the panel, cut the rear harness wiring where it splits. The heated windshield requires the relay and timer under the drivers seat.

When you get it home, isolate the heated seat and heated windshield circuit and make your connections. The blue wire that the heated seat and windshield harness need is already in the B99 connector, the only difference on your car, if you have a 97-99 standard Outback, is that it was never split to go to the seat heaters. Subaru already installed the fuse block with fuse and the wiring on the bulkhead harness that you need for powering on the system, they even put the connector under the hood for you to connect a powered windshield to.

Archived