LegacyGT.com

2018 Subaru Legacy

Well, I've some bad news for all of us hoping to upgrade our head units to the 2018's:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

Unfortunately, the new head units are not able to be retro-fitted into previous models.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Amber Anglin

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Retailer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Service Request Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

-----

I just sent a reply asking if she could post an inquiry to whichever department writes the code if the new head unit's software could be loaded onto the older head units, and suggested that if Subaru could find a way to retroactively add CarPlay/Android Auto functionality to cars that didn't come with it natively, that it'd be a hell of a press coup for Subaru.

Edited by destruya

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^we got that same response regarding the Forester head-units. It's a shame Subaru can't invest the time into programming unless it's a hardware issue. Several other manufacturer's are going back 5+ model years and offering upgrades.

• Steering responsive LED low beams (much like that of the Forester; if exactly the same the projector would be a bi-xenon projector).

Just gotta say it, it'd be a bi-LED projector. Bi-xenon would mean HID rather than LED. Sorry to be picky, it's just become a pet peeve since I work in automotive lighting now.

That being said, the headlamp design in the pictures would make me think it's a bi-LED projector. The cavity inboard of the projector appears to only be for turn signal with a decorative piece to help hide the bulb (it may also be functional to help with turn signal visibility, can't say for sure either way). If I had to guess, NAL is likely the supplier again as they are for '15-'17. (Totally off topic, I'm still working to get myself a pair of Limited headlamps sans projectors without the lens glued in place, it may be time to talk with my coworker that spent some time at NAL as an optical engineer).

I really like the changes. Availability of Apple Carplay and Android Auto is very surprising. I didn't think they'd update the headunit until the next gen. It's looking like Legacy for my next car.

The only thing I'm kind of disappointed about is the fit and finish for the dash.

Hold off on any judgment until you see a car on your dealer's lot - it's quite typical for these earlier to vehicles to be less than stellar dimensionally. If cars won't be on sale until summer, that's a lot of time for a supplier to work on improving these fit and finish issues.

The only thing I'm kind of disappointed about is the fit and finish for the dash.

Hold off on any judgment until you see a car on your dealer's lot - it's quite typical for these earlier to vehicles to be less than stellar dimensionally. If cars won't be on sale until summer, that's a lot of time for a supplier to work on improving these fit and finish issues.

This.

This is still just a prototype, not even an assembly line prototype, fit and finish will still be kinda rough, think of it as the Beta model.

I hope it's possible to turn off the auto-lock.

I agree. And once disabled it stays off unless re-enabled, not auto enabled at every engine restart. Hopefully the Aus spec cars won’t get auto locking.

I get that it's a pre-production model but you'd think they would notice this before they do a photoshoot. Or at least photoshop it if their intention is to straighten out the stack.

It's not a deal breaker but it's glaringly noticeable for an otherwise a pretty decent looking interior.

Yeah, hopefully they get that sorted - it's a nice looking stack otherwise IMO.

Anyone here heading to the Chicago show this week where it will debut?

I will be going! Definitely need to check it out, I will let you guys know what I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I get that it's a pre-production model but you'd think they would notice this before they do a photoshoot. Or at least photoshop it if their intention is to straighten out the stack.

It's not a deal breaker but it's glaringly noticeable for an otherwise a pretty decent looking interior.

While I certainly understand the frustration, from the OEM side (not Subaru, but still) of things, I can say don't forget form needs to follow function. Parts need to be validated and work properly first - worry about getting dimensions perfect second. Typically yes, you would want a vehicle being used for marketing or photo shoots to be in tip-top shape, but it's easy for other things to take priority.

I wish the car manufacturers would leave/allow GPS to the smartphone app developers. I use Waze and love it but I don't think CarPlay or Android Auto support it - the latter rather suprising that it's taking this long.

To me....the car just needs better power to weight ratio. I don't have the cash for the 6 cyl. so it is the 2.5i for me. The bottom feeder engine for a car of that size should give at least 185 whp.

I really really really wish the 3.6 was an option through all the trims. I'd be all over a 3.6 premium, but I don't want to spend the money or care to have most of the features of the limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk