LegacyGT.com

Electronic Parking Brake ?

I recently purchased a 2014 Legacy with an electronic parking brake. I always chuckled when I saw or heard of advertised automobiles with this feature. I thought "what a worthless feature".. Now that I have one, my feelings remain the same. In the "old" days, we had an Emergency Brake to use in case of a system brake failure. It provided an alternate connection to the brake system usually operated by a separate cable. One could step on the pedal or pull the handle to safely stop the car. There is not that option in a car with an electronic parking brake. Why put something like that on a car when it eliminates a safety feature that has saved lives. The emergency brake function is worth more to me than a "hill holder" function. Could it possibly be that the CVT transmission cannot hold a hill without overheating or causing some damage? Please, enlighten me on why this was done, anyone.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In your reading you should have come across the section which told you if you hold the button down the brake will engage and stop the vehicle...you know for emergencies. There is also a nifty little sticker with this information right by the button, unless someone removed it from your car.

In the old days brakes failing was a lot more common as well. If it were me I would shift down until the speed was near zero then shift to nuetral and coast to a stop. Because chances are engaging the parking brake at speed will ruin either the brakes the actuator or the tires possibly some combination of those parts.

I am very curious now, how many times in your driving have you needed an emergency brake. I have been driving for roughly 20 years and have only used the emergency brake once, to drive a friends truck home whose brake lines burst from rusting out. Other than that, which wasn't an emergency, I don't see too many application for an emergency brake.

My FIL said the same thing. "What is this Jap bastard crap?" If given the choice I do prefer a manual parking brake, which did come in handy when my F150 brake line rusted through, I used the parking brake foot pedal to get home. Saved me from a $75 tow. Couldn't have made that trip with an E-brake. Other than that one instance, in 18 years of driving it's never been an issue.

hqdefault.jpg

Ford Fusion. Show that to your FIL.

I have never used the parking brake as an emergency brake. Brake system so are very fail safe now a days.

Haha yep. Shortly after I got my Ru, 3 other family members bought cars with E-brakes. One of which is MIL's Chevy Malibu :lol::lol: I rub it in whenever I can

Am I correct in assuming that with the electronic parking brake, it doesn't loosen over time like a cable handbrake?

You are correct. Your e-brake is your rear pads.

Not sure what 08 means by rear pads there. But I believe once the tension is set for the ebrake it will maintain it, in normal use the brakes should never wear out anyway. They are either on or off. The ebrake is a seperate shoe under the rear disc, similar to previous models just a bit larger if I am not mistaken.

Not sure what 08 means by rear pads there. But I believe once the tension is set for the ebrake it will maintain it, in normal use the brakes should never wear out anyway. They are either on or off. The ebrake is a seperate shoe under the rear disc, similar to previous models just a bit larger if I am not mistaken.

They use a separate shoe on the electronic parking brake? All others are connected to the caliper and have a threaded piston. I have yet to see an electronic parking brake set up use shoes.

They use a separate shoe on the electronic parking brake? All others are connected to the caliper and have a threaded piston. I have yet to see an electronic parking brake set up use shoes.

I thought you were a tech for subaru? ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived