LegacyGT.com

Selling LGT what to do with Cobb Accessport?

Going to be selling my car to a dealer. LGT is Stage 2, installed catless up pipe, gutted the downpipe CATs.

Question: before finally walking away from the car could I unmarry the accessport and just walk away from the car. What would happen to the car? CEL would come on for the catless up pipe correct?

Or unmarry it before I get there so the computer can 'learn' a little bit and not be a turd running.

Advice?

Leave it with the car. It's pretty F'd up to knowingly screw someone by removing a proper tune and ditching the car. If you unmarried it I wish you nothing but bad luck with your next car.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The proper thing to do is leave it with the car since it has aftermarket parts. If you were thinking ahead further you could have put it back to stock and flashed the stock map back on. Then sold the parts and AP on the side.

If you just unmarry it and send it off then that's just being an A-hole to anyone who owns it after you. It won't do a lot for your karmic equity and as Code said I would wish you bad luck

Gee, you guy's are being pretty harsh. But I will say yes, I have to agree.... leave it with the car.

Which brings us to the next question. Does the Dealership leave it in the car so the next buyer knows what it is or does in fact the dealership know what it is ?

Also did the OP try and sell it (the car) on here first ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

'Treat others how you want to be treated' is how the saying goes right.

Only reason I could think of keeping the AP is to get some $$ back. Well that's the thing it's only $$ and I would have that guilt on me knowingly I screwed: the dealer, the next owner, and anyone involved after it leaves me.

Right thing to do is do the right thing always. Thanks for the comments and steering me back on true north.

First off, I don't think it sounded like the OP was trying to screw someone over - simply asking what steps to take when selling a car married to an AP.

I definitely think you should leave the car with the dealer in running shape, either with the AP in the center console or something or return the car to stock with stock tune or something.

HOWEVER, you will not be screwing someone over. Whether the dealership takes a loss or not, they will be the ones trying to screw someone over. Therefore, as long as the car is not running lean on the wrong tune (damaging itself as is in the future), you can't directly prevent someone from getting screwed over because the dealer will do it regardless when they flip your car.

When I bought my third gen Legacy from the dealer, it needed $3500 worth of work they didn't tell me it needed (luckily I had it checked out elsewhere).

Just something else to keep in mind.

You could even try informing the dealer AFTER they take the car so then if they try to sell it to someone as is they would be forced to do it knowingly. You would be effectively passing the ethical buck to them.

Are you planning on doing something with the AP later?

You could just keep it without "un-marrying" it from the vehicle. This way, you know that someone at the dealership is going to try and keep it and that the car has the proper map on it. It would just be a paperweight at that point, but it solves all the problems.

Are you planning on doing something with the AP later?

You could just keep it without "un-marrying" it from the vehicle. This way, you know that someone at the dealership is going to try and keep it and that the car has the proper map on it. It would just be a paperweight at that point, but it solves all the problems.

What?!? That doesn't "solve all the problems" That leaves the ECU locked. Next owner is screwed if they ever need to make a tuning change.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Keep it with the car as part of the sale. I'd make sure the dealer knows what they are getting, though.

Also, why sell to a dealer in the first place? You'd get more money for it selling it privately, and assuming it's in good condition, good manual transmission examples of these cars don't stay on the market very long before someone jumps on them.

^you would have to have another access port in order to unlock the ECU. You could not open source tune it without unlocking it first.

Yeah. The car runs fine without the accessport installed on the vehicle. Should a new map be needed, all he has to do is go get a new accessport.

How about this, just bury your contact info in a manual or something.

Archived