LegacyGT.com

Accessport reading very low boost

08 LGT, VF52, EBCS, fuel mods, TBE, Cobb AP, dyno tune.

Cars been running since the mods and is pretty quick. On stock internal wastegate, it was tuned for 19psi. Just recently the Accessport is reading really low. On a 2 hour drive last night, with a few pulls to about 5500, my max boost reached 1.3psi. The car is still quite fast, maybe a tiny bit slower but I'm not sure if that's me getting used to it or if it's a placebo effect from the Los readings. No way the car would have any type of pep with less than 2psi right?

What could this be? Thanks in advance.

Car would have zero pep with 1.3 psi, what does your manifold absolute pressure read? Assuming you're just reading "boost". Should contact your tuner.

-Brian

p.s. on a side note , you should upgrade to an 18lb spring for your wastegate

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Car would have zero pep with 1.3 psi, what does your manifold absolute pressure read? Assuming you're just reading "boost". Should contact your tuner.

-Brian

p.s. on a side note , you should upgrade to an 18lb spring for your wastegate

MAP is about 14.7-ish, I believe it maxed around 15 after an hour or so of driving.

Would the spring potentially be a source of my problem?

Maybe your boost is reading in bar and not psi? 14.7 psi = 1 bar ... 14.7 x 0.3 = 4.4 psi ... 14.7 + 4.4 = 19.1 psi.

That thought occurred to me as well but I double checked, and yep, I'm still on PSI.

Ok, you've got some issue. MAP should read boost+14.7ish. Your car cant be pulling just as hard as before..?

Did you boost leak test it?

I agree... If there was a boost leak that huge you would 1) most likely hear it, and 2) have no power. If there wasn't a boost leak, and the MAP sensor went bad, the ECU wouldn't know what the heck was happening and you'd have all sorts of fueling issues(I believe).

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

So I am actually dealing with similar issues right now and the answers are kind of unknown. In my case, the accessport boost levels are reading 0.00 - 0.05 psi erroneously. I have been going back and forth with COBB about this and their suggestion for whats going on is that somehow my ECU got messed up and the Accessport is reading the wrong memory address where, normally, the space would be allocated for the accurate boost levels. From Cobb, "For example, if we keep your AccessPort set to Installed to a 2005 LGT and then log on a 2005 STI, the numbers appear wonky like you see them, but that's entirely because the addresses for those values in memory is different between those cars. Once we reprogram your AP to be Installed to that same 2005 STI, everything appears to be perfectly normal. "

They had me try uninstalling the Accessport from my car, then reinstalling the accessport, and then re-mapping my tune (from tuning alliance). That didn't work for me, but I would suggest you try that to see if anything changes. I've been meaning to talk with Mike from TA about this.

Annoyingly at the same time I'm having issues connecting the Accessport to my home computer... So I haven't been able to run any firmware updates, but if you can I would also suggest doing that as well.

The weird thing is my car is operating absolutely fine. I also have a mechanical boost gauge which is showing the 20psi peak boost values that I am expecting. Right now I am ignoring the erroneous boost value being shown by the Accessport. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue for more people. It has been quite the headache attempting to correct this deficiency with the AP.:icon_sad: I will update this if I do find out more info or if I successful can finish troubleshooting with COBB's assistance.

This is interesting... this would mean the ECU is moving information to different registers/blocks, but why? I'm not super familiar with flash architecture, or the logic behind the ECU/AP, but I don't see how data could be moved without the AP being able to find it.

perhaps a corrupt register file, or (hopefully not) the ECU discovering bad EEPROM blocks and moving data around?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

So I am actually dealing with similar issues right now and the answers are kind of unknown. In my case, the accessport boost levels are reading 0.00 - 0.05 psi erroneously. I have been going back and forth with COBB about this and their suggestion for whats going on is that somehow my ECU got messed up and the Accessport is reading the wrong memory address where, normally, the space would be allocated for the accurate boost levels. From Cobb, "For example, if we keep your AccessPort set to Installed to a 2005 LGT and then log on a 2005 STI, the numbers appear wonky like you see them, but that's entirely because the addresses for those values in memory is different between those cars. Once we reprogram your AP to be Installed to that same 2005 STI, everything appears to be perfectly normal. "

They had me try uninstalling the Accessport from my car, then reinstalling the accessport, and then re-mapping my tune (from tuning alliance). That didn't work for me, but I would suggest you try that to see if anything changes. I've been meaning to talk with Mike from TA about this.

Annoyingly at the same time I'm having issues connecting the Accessport to my home computer... So I haven't been able to run any firmware updates, but if you can I would also suggest doing that as well.

The weird thing is my car is operating absolutely fine. I also have a mechanical boost gauge which is showing the 20psi peak boost values that I am expecting. Right now I am ignoring the erroneous boost value being shown by the Accessport. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue for more people. It has been quite the headache attempting to correct this deficiency with the AP.:icon_sad: I will update this if I do find out more info or if I successful can finish troubleshooting with COBB's assistance.

V2 or V3?

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

rangO, I highly suggest you talk with Mike and take a Saturday drive out to meet with him and have him do a street tune just to make sure everything is ok.

He's easy to get to for you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

V3. Yeah I sent Mike a message last night. I don't want to make the trip down to CT if I can't get my accessport to connect to a computer, as that's another issue I'm having right now. Hopefully I can figure out why my computer won't recognize the AP, then I will definitely set up a street tune with Mike. My map hasn't been modified yet after installing a perrin inlet...#sorrymom

V3. Yeah I sent Mike a message last night. I don't want to make the trip down to CT if I can't get my accessport to connect to a computer, as that's another issue I'm having right now. Hopefully I can figure out why my computer won't recognize the AP, then I will definitely set up a street tune with Mike. My map hasn't been modified yet after installing a perrin inlet...#sorrymom

I'd contact Cobb Support to help you out, they are very good with that.

-Brian

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is interesting... this would mean the ECU is moving information to different registers/blocks, but why? I'm not super familiar with flash architecture, or the logic behind the ECU/AP, but I don't see how data could be moved without the AP being able to find it.

perhaps a corrupt register file, or (hopefully not) the ECU discovering bad EEPROM blocks and moving data around?

I can almost guarantee the ECU isn't "moving information," especially if the tune hasn't changed (and even if it has...). The car would very likely have operation issues if that were the case.

My guess is something in the AP is screwed up in either it's reading the wrong address (unlikely) or applying the wrong correction. Especially in rang0's case, where it's not communicating with the computer. Potentially could be caused by a crappy USB-OBD cable... COBB chose poorly on the connector they used on the bottom of the AP. It's just asking to break and cause issues.

To update you folks... *big facepalm* After about 25 emails sent between COBB and I, (and bother Mike from TA (thanks Mike!)) trying to diagnose what was going on with the Accessport, the issue was just as quick4dr suggested. The far end of the hose for the MAP sensor by the intake manifold had just barely popped off. The hose was resting on the edge of the nipple so when I initially checked for hoses popped off, it looked connected. Probably about the fourth time a disconnected vac hose has ran me in circle...<3 subaru

To update you folks... *big facepalm* After about 25 emails sent between COBB and I, (and bother Mike from TA (thanks Mike!)) trying to diagnose what was going on with the Accessport, the issue was just as quick4dr suggested. The far end of the hose for the MAP sensor by the intake manifold had just barely popped off. The hose was resting on the edge of the nipple so when I initially checked for hoses popped off, it looked connected. Probably about the fourth time a disconnected vac hose has ran me in circle...<3 subaru

EVERY HOSE MUST BE CLAMPED!

Your bad.

• 2 weeks later...
check vacuum line to map sensor likely a leak, my boost guage was showing full boost and my accessport wasn't, accessport reads from map, mechanical gauge from another line. traced line found it split.

Ding ding ding! I'm actually pretty happy this thread was kept alive. MAP seonsor vac line popped off the manifold. Thanks for the help guys.

Archived